Devin Booker is the greatest player EVER in Suns history

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Other players may have had time with the Suns where they were more impactful on the team, but Devin's amount of time with the team and accomplishments with the team put him at the top IMO. This team has only seen 3 finals and Devin brought us one of those. Nash did make more deep playoff runs TBF, but never had us so close to a title. Barkley simply wasn't here long enough to be in this convo for me. Nash does indeed have a very strong argument for now at least. A few more years of Devin being here probably puts him over the top.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devin going through hell speaks more to his dedication and his journey which is a different topic all together.

I don't think it's a different discussion so much as a part of this discussion. Like for the Lakers, who would be considered the greatest Laker ever? Kareem deserves mention since he's in the GOAT conversation and he made Magic's job easier. I don't think anyone would rank him ahead of Magic or Kobe though despite Kareem being the better player. He didn't spend his whole career there. Same goes for Nash and Barkley with the Suns. I'd give Nash more consideration since he was here longer than Chuck was but Booker is ahead of him, IMO, because he's pushed this team back into relevancy in an era when stars rarely play out a whole contract somewhere. He could have easily forced his way out and no one would have blamed with Clown Shoes as the former owner. Him sticking around is part of why he's in the discussion as much as what he's accomplished.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I love Devin Booker but the more I think about this more I know he is not on the same level as Nash, Durant, Barkley. Those guys were not just the best on the teams they played but they were also league wide MVPs. Book is not on that level. He is not a league MVP. Nash, Durant and Barkley also TRANSFORMED teams they were added to. Book can't do that on his own.

I wish this said greats player drafted instead of greatest player in Suns history. Even then I still have him behind Nash for now. If Book wins a title and gets a finals MVP to go along with it? OK. I might be onboard then.
I think I still call him the greatest sun. But it incorporates more than just talent. I think he’s meant more to the history of this team than any of those other guys.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a different discussion so much as a part of this discussion. Like for the Lakers, who would be considered the greatest Laker ever? Kareem deserves mention since he's in the GOAT conversation and he made Magic's job easier. I don't think anyone would rank him ahead of Magic or Kobe though despite Kareem being the better player. He didn't spend his whole career there. Same goes for Nash and Barkley with the Suns. I'd give Nash more consideration since he was here longer than Chuck was but Booker is ahead of him, IMO, because he's pushed this team back into relevancy in an era when stars rarely play out a whole contract somewhere. He could have easily forced his way out and no one would have blamed with Clown Shoes as the former owner. Him sticking around is part of why he's in the discussion as much as what he's accomplished.
Maybe a side discussion. This thread is too general. Again, the answer would be very different if it was drafted player. I could get aboard that discussion even though he is still behind Nash. Again, we are talking about a two time LEAGUE MVP in Nash for example. Nobody outside of Phoenix views Booker as a League MVP. That type of award is typically for those players who could almost single handed transform a team. Booker's entire career has been who can we bring here to help him.

I want to be clear that takes nothing away from Booker. He is one of the best players we have EVER had. I just put him (at this time) a tier below those other guys but that may change.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I love Devin Booker but the more I think about this more I know he is not on the same level as Nash, Durant, Barkley. Those guys were not just the best on the teams they played but they were also league wide MVPs. Book is not on that level. He is not a league MVP. Nash, Durant and Barkley also TRANSFORMED teams they were added to. Book can't do that on his own.

I wish this said greats player drafted instead of greatest player in Suns history. Even then I still have him behind Nash for now. If Book wins a title and gets a finals MVP to go along with it? OK. I might be onboard then.
Book hasn't even hit his peak yet. Two of the three guys you listed weren't acquired by the Suns until they were at their peak.

Also, none of those guys you listed have ever been a Finals MVP or won a title for the Suns organization so why is Book being held to a different standard than those guys?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book hasn't even hit his peak yet. Two of the three guys you listed weren't acquired by the Suns until they were at their peak.

Also, none of those guys you listed have ever been a Finals MVP or won a title for the Suns organization so why is Book being held to a different standard than those guys?
Which is why I said above it may change. Book is being held to the exact same standard. I never mentioned Finals. Again, I take this as the greatest Sun to every wear the jersey. If you are saying Book is better than Barkely, KD, Nash for example? That's nuts IMO at this time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Which is why I said above it may change. Book is being held to the exact same standard. I never mentioned Finals. Again, I take this as the greatest Sun to every wear the jersey. If you are saying Book is better than Barkely, KD, Nash for example? That's nuts IMO at this time.
He is greater as a Phoenix Sun than Barkley or KD IMO. They may have been better players, but the amount of time spent on the team means something in this discussion. Especially when we are talking about a team that hasn't won a title with any of them.

In the GOAT debate for instance, LeBron's longevity absolutely comes into play as an argument for why he could be the GOAT. The only reason it isn't enough is that despite playing longer he doesn't have more or even as many achievements or accolades as MJ.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is greater as a Phoenix Sun than Barkley or KD IMO. They may have been better players, but the amount of time spent on the team means something in this discussion. Especially when we are talking about a team that hasn't won a title with any of them.

In the GOAT debate for instance, LeBron's longevity absolutely comes into play as an argument for why he could be the GOAT. The only reason it isn't enough is that despite playing longer he doesn't have more or even as many achievements or accolades as MJ.
Booker has more achievements than Barkley or Nash? Also, again, the thread didn't specify what the criteria was. It's a different discussion based on the criteria which is why I thought the thread was too generic.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If it was about "the best to wear the jersey" then the answer would be Shaq, hands down, but no one in their right mind would ever consider Shaq an all time great "Suns" player. He isn't even in the conversation, neither is KD.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was about "the best to wear the jersey" then the answer would be Shaq, hands down, but no one in their right mind would ever consider Shaq an all time great "Suns" player. He isn't even in the conversation, neither is KD.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The criteria for the thread was poor. However, maybe that was the intent to have everyone apply their own criteria.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If we're rocking accolades - Barkley and Book the only two who took us to the Finals and Book did it with less

If we're talking team records everything will eventually be Book minus rebounds and assists - but who knows - maybe them too lol

If we're talking about being a draw and making the team a destination - Devin once again

And while I wouldn't put him on Barkley's level I'd put him above Steve Nash especially if we're talking complete game not to mention today's NBA

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker has more achievements than Barkley or Nash? Also, again, the thread didn't specify what the criteria was. It's a different discussion based on the criteria which is why I thought the thread was too generic.
He has more achievements on the Suns than Barkley and KD, but not Nash. That is why I have said Nash has a very strong case at the moment and I will not fight people that have Nash ahead of Booker.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chuck was the leader of the greatest Suns team of all time.

They lost the NBA championship to maybe the greatest NBA team of all time.

200,000+ fans came out on the streets in 110 degree weather to celebrate losing to the Bulls.

Think about it!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chuck was the leader of the greatest Suns team of all time.

They lost the NBA championship to maybe the greatest NBA team of all time.

200,000+ fans came out on the streets in 110 degree weather to celebrate losing to the Bulls.

Think about it!
That’s fine and all but Chuck was only here a few years, he is in no way the greatest Sun ever conversation imo… Book has it already imo Nash is the only one that remotely comes close…

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has more achievements on the Suns than Barkley and KD, but not Nash. That is why I have said Nash has a very strong case at the moment and I will not fight people that have Nash ahead of Booker.
I said achievements no “Sun’s achievements”. He should than Barkley and KD because he was on the team longer. Hell West still has some.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I said achievements no “Sun’s achievements”. He should than Barkley and KD because he was on the team longer. Hell West still has some.
Are you suggesting that everything KD did while he wasn't a Suns' player should be a factor into how great of a Suns' player he is? This isn't greatest player to every play for the Suns, but greatest player on the Suns. If we are counting KD than we have to count Shaq as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that everything KD did while he wasn't a Suns' player should be a factor into how great of a Suns' player he is? This isn't greatest player to every play for the Suns, but greatest player on the Suns. If we are counting KD than we have to count Shaq as well.
Again are we talking greatest player to wear a Suns uniform? If so, yes and you are right Shaq should be in that discussion.

This just highlights my problem with the thread.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Again are we talking greatest player to wear a Suns uniform? If so, yes and you are right Shaq should be in that discussion.

This just highlights my problem with the thread.
"Greatest player EVER in Suns History"

Is it just me or does that clearly suggest that it is about what they did WITH the Phoenix Suns? :shrug:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Greatest player EVER in Suns History"

Is it just me or does that clearly suggest that it is about what they did WITH the Phoenix Suns? :shrug:
I have seen multiple interpretations. Read through the entire thread. So I guess not?!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have seen multiple interpretations. Read through the entire thread. So I guess not?!

Not getting the confusion. I don't think anyone else has been taking into account anything players did when they were not on the Suns.

There has been some debate over which guy, but it is all based on what they did in Phoenix.

I think Booker, Nash, Barkley are the ones with a real case, but I could see a dark horse argument for Westphal or KJ.

Personally, I think it's Nash still. Booker will probably overtake him in my eyes, but he isn't there yet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where? There's now been an entire page of this thread with you trying to change the discussion. Everyone else is talking about the greatest player in Suns history as far as what they accomplished during their tenure as a Sun.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where? There's now been an entire page of this thread with you trying to change the discussion. Everyone else is talking about the greatest player in Suns history as far as what they accomplished during their tenure as a Sun.

One person argues "Barkley has no business being on the franchise's greatest list." However, Cheese says "refers to players while playing as Phoenix Suns.". Another person "Depends on the criteria you select". Another "All Time Greatest Suns player" Another person "In Sun's history?". Another one "Nash has the best resume but if you're talking about a moment in time," Another one "Sounds like part of your criteria is tenure length with the team.". Another asking "If you put it that way . If Durant brings home the prize does he qualify?". Another "I can’t put Barkley in the conversation. He was not here that long."

Clearly I am not the only one unclear on the criteria. There are clearly multiple criteria in this thread. I didn't know I had to run my criteria through you but I even said myself that my answer would change depending on the criteria.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The greatest player in Suns history is between Devin Booker and Steve Nash for me.

I'm having trouble choosing between the two, but I'm leaning towards Booker because he has taken the Suns to the NBA Finals and always been a Sun.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The greatest player in Suns history is between Devin Booker and Steve Nash for me.

I'm having trouble choosing between the two, but I'm leaning towards Booker because he has taken the Suns to the NBA Finals and always been a Sun.
That would considerably narrow the field since most players don't spend their entire career with one team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison