Writer's Strike

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re getting down to make or break time for the rest of the year for the industry. If nothing gets done in the next couple weeks, I think this definitely goes into 2024.

Studios know this. We know this. I think that’s why you’ve seen an escalation of war of words/scabbing and ultimately, negotiations picking back up next week.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A teacher friend of mine posted today that she learned one Drew she previously wasn't fond of has been feeding those on strike and one she previously adored is insisting on crossing the picket line.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Carey.

dude's the biggest mensch in town, by far. I live a couple blocks from Swingers and saw him there on a Sunday brunch. Really wanted to just leave him alone, but I couldn't help but briefly thank him for his help. he was great about it. It's been a huge help to me for the last five months.

the really ridiculous thing is that at Swingers and Bob's, he not only picks up the tab, but the tip as well (I always leave my own as well) AND at Swingers, he covers a plus 1 also, to help people with families.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude's the biggest mensch in town, by far. I live a couple blocks from Swingers and saw him there on a Sunday brunch. Really wanted to just leave him alone, but I couldn't help but briefly thank him for his help. he was great about it. It's been a huge help to me for the last five months.

the really ridiculous thing is that at Swingers and Bob's, he not only picks up the tab, but the tip as well (I always leave my own as well) AND at Swingers, he covers a plus 1 also, to help people with families.
This is really amazing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Drew Carey.

Odd for someone not to be fond of Carey, even if you're not a fan of his comedy he seems like such a good dude. I've never had a strong opinion about Barrymore, other than she never seemed genuine.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Barrymore, who has never hit me as the brightest bulb in the pack, has put her show "on pause" and offered an apology for her actions (plus the heat she's taken and cancelled bookings).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...sn&cvid=5d3b800e9f14412283b1a42a8fbc0331&ei=9

Better late than never......... I guess.
Nah… not “I guess” for this striker. Plenty of people would just put their head down and plow ahead. The ability to admit mistake is a rare quality in the world at this point and I appreciate her doing so, with no qualifications.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am STUNNED:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew’s example of admitting she was wrong created a domino effect with multiple other talk shows deciding to stand by labor, even including Bill Maher. She’s not a scab. She’s not a turncoat.

She’s an example of what should happen in society when someone makes a mistake, listens to others and then changes her actions. This is an incredibly tough period, with unfathomable sacrifices being made by the entire industry right now. Mistakes will be made. But we can’t slander and turn our backs on those who choose to rectify their mistakes.

Kudos to her and those who followed suit changing their plans to return and continuing to stand with us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Drew’s example of admitting she was wrong created a domino effect with multiple other talk shows deciding to stand by labor, even including Bill Maher. She’s not a scab. She’s not a turncoat.

She’s an example of what should happen in society when someone makes a mistake, listens to others and then changes her actions. This is an incredibly tough period, with unfathomable sacrifices being made by the entire industry right now. Mistakes will be made. But we can’t slander and turn our backs on those who choose to rectify their mistakes.

Kudos to her and those who followed suit changing their plans to return and continuing to stand with us.
Curious what your opinion is on the other hundreds of below the line workers that aren't on strike but have no means to make money now. I'm guessing a lot of them are joining you on the line because they obviously also have a vested interest to get this over with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what your opinion is on the other hundreds of below the line workers that aren't on strike but have no means to make money now. I'm guessing a lot of them are joining you on the line because they obviously also have a vested interest to get this over with.
I appreciate all of their sacrifices and will stand with them in turn when they need us when IATSE comes up for negotiation next year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Drew? Well, she made a mistake, half-heartedly apologized for it, made another mistake, then finally did the right thing. Better late than never, I suppose.