Hypothetical For The Tank

Which deal do you like better?

• Total voters

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe first one seems most likely since it IMO is pretty likely we're going to be terrible and have the first pick.

I'm hoping Kyler comes back looking good, but the defense will be so bad that even if he does, we'll lose games.

Get a high enough pick to draft Cameron Skattebo and playoffs next year!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the big discussion on 98.7 this morning was tanking for the #1. Bickley stated he thinks the correct path is to keep Kyler and trade the #1 for a ransom to build the team with.

So do you want:

Kyler Murray and a boat load of picks

Caleb Williams and an extra pick plus future cap space
Completely depends on how well Kyler and Caleb Williams play this year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm hoping Kyler comes back looking good, but the defense will be so bad that even if he does, we'll lose games.
probably the best scenario -- lose a bunch of high scoring, but one score games late because the D cant get stop late

but thats also a pretty narrow window to get through

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
probably the best scenario -- lose a bunch of high scoring, but one score games late because the D cant get stop late

but thats also a pretty narrow window to get through

haha.. yeah if we lost a bunch of shoot outs like 48-41 where Murray is throwing for 450 yards and Conner is running for a buck 50 a game that would at least be entertaining.

Prater hitting 55 yarders...

We would at least have hope for 2024! :)

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
THe first one seems most likely since it IMO is pretty likely we're going to be terrible and have the first pick.

Get a high enough pick to draft Cameron Skattebo and playoffs next year!
Skattebo? LOL. I doubt he even starts at ASU.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Drake Maye would be my pick. To me this is Kylers make or break year for himself. If he doesn’t show he’s the man he’s gone next season.

Monti didn’t do the team any favors in free agency this year or in trades after the draft. Did he screw up on purpose or is this a sign of the future.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This board in 2028: "We gotta trade down from that top pick to get more top picks...for the future!" lol

When's it going to be now, now? To quote the great movie Spaceballs.
You’re butchering the quote. Here it is, also put in context to the arguing on the board:

Darksiders: When will then, be now?

Kool-Aiders: SOON!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical....what happens if MHJ gets injured? Cuz he just got knocked out of the game against Indiana.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Drake May looks phenomenal tonight. He may give Caleb Williams a run for his money for the top pick by the end of the season and leading up to the draft

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Drake May looks phenomenal tonight. He may give Caleb Williams a run for his money for the top pick by the end of the season and leading up to the draft

He looks okay so far. He’s a better scrambler than I thought but Celeb is the #1 pick. Don’t overthink it.

Maye and Penix are awesome #2’s though…

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We have to build a team that can compete without Kyler or any top QB, then his elite skills are not wasted and reach potential, as team reaches championship potential.

it starts with running damn ball, balanced gamepIan. Some need to shut up and play I don’t see a strong NFCW - will not concede to the Niners, Rams, Seahawks before we play a game!

Cardinals fans are made of strongest metals, forged in the flames of adversity. Is this the worse team we ever fielded? Nope! is it the best ? Nope! is somewhere in between - and I’m ok with that.

we don’t know what we don’t know about The D trench, but the O trench looks pretty vicious. That’s where it all starts and ends.

impossible odds, certain defeat -
WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR!

Gimbly
lord of the rings.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He looks okay so far. He’s a better scrambler than I thought but Celeb is the #1 pick. Don’t overthink it.

Maye and Penix are awesome #2’s though…

Maye has looked great since this post. We’ll have so many different options with our pick. Luckily we have a GM that knows how to maneuver the draft.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Maye has looked great since this post. We’ll have so many different options with our pick. Luckily we have a GM that knows how to maneuver the draft.

He does look absolutely phenomenal and he may turn out to be a better option of Caleb Williams has any character issues pop up during the evaluation process. Maye really showed his stripes tonight. On another note from the North Carolina game: Molly McGrath is smoking hot

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm so tired of the Caleb Williams / Kyler talk on Twitter already and football only just started.

My view,

1, I don't think the Cards are tanking. I think Keim left the team in a bad place with some bad contracts, dead money and general low level of talent and that the FO are trying to turn that around in a sensible way. This year is a transition year, I don't think they intend to tank.

2, I believe the FO and coaching staff when they say they are all in on Kyler, and Kyler believes it too. You can see he is enthused and invigorated by this staff and he seems like a changed man.

3, Kyler is a former #1 pick who has played well in the league. He's no bust. What's the need to move on from him? He's not Mitch Trubisky or Blake Bortles. And the Org thought enough of him to give him a $46m per year deal. I don't see why that would change in a year.

4, The difference between prime Kyler and prime Williams isn't that much, if anything at all. The teams focus should be on enabling prime Kyler.

5, Nobody eats $59m in dead money. They just don't. Especially Bidwill. And you don't turn an Org around with a new QB by eating $59m in dead cap. It would be setting Caleb Williams up to fail anyway with a dire roster.

6, I don't think the Cards or Texans finish with the #1 pick. The odds are just against it. What teams look like pre season is rarely how they look on the field, especially when you factor in injuries. If a rookie QB struggles, or a middling team lose their starting QB then things rapidly change.

7, If we did finish with #1 there is far more value to the Cards in trading it than drafting Williams. As I said in #4, the difference between prime Kyler and prime Williams is minimal if any. Keeping Kyler and getting multiple 1st round picks offers far more value than Caleb Williams and $59m in dead cap.

8, To achieve the tank they would have to sit Kyler all year. I just don't see how you do that if Kyler is healthy. If he's healthy by Game 5 and wants to play you can't not play him. If you don't play him you are teleraphing the tank, you lose the locker room and Gannon is done. You run the risk of alienating your massively paid QB and missing out on Williams. And you couldn't keep a healthy Kyler around. You would have to trade him before the trade deadline for a bag of donuts.

There are just far too many things against it in my opinion.

The possible way I see it happening is if Kyler comes back, the team and coaches are truly behind him, but he really sucks. Which is possible, but very unlikely. And even then I think it's a tough sell with his deal and you can tell yourself he's still not mentally over the injury and worth another year. And you have the picks from trading your high draft pick to use on a QB next year if needed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious Monti is tanking this season, intentionally or not. The question others keep putting out there that no one can argue against is, if we aren't tanking, what has Monti done to make this team better THIS season?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious Monti is tanking this season, intentionally or not. The question others keep putting out there that no one can argue against is, if we aren't tanking, what has Monti done to make this team better THIS season?

You say this as if the only options are tanking or superbowl.

Monti knows this is a multi year project.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92