Devin Booker is the greatest player EVER in Suns history

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We had a discussion like this years ago about the players to be put up on this page. Four players on top right of page... Booker is now number 1, I pray he stays healthy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This Booker guy is really good.

I still have Nash above him.

But damn... it's really close.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and I tend to agree. Prime Nash and Barkley are strong competition, but I think I am over on Team Booker at this point. He needs to lead the Suns to a title and/or (preferable and) win at least one MVP award to cement that, though.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
There an are very few players that transcend their team. Barkley was a huge draw on the road (I think it’s the only time in Suns history that the Suns were the #1 away draw in the NBA), he gave us national attention, a ton of nationally televised games etc.

Book is finally getting some national respect but he is widely hated by a bunch of fans from other teams. I have been to a bunch of out of state games with this bunch and did the same during the Barkley era what I was traveling a lot and it’s not the same. I would see 10X the number of Barkley jerseys on the road than I do Book ones.

Book will be #1 when all is said and done IMO. He will own just about every Suns record and possibly at least have one title. At that point it will be no question IMO. Hell if he wins it this year or next it won’t be any question.
I used to hate Kobe (pure jealousy). Hate sometimes is a source of respect. I thought Book was good, but the last 3 weeks have been great

Reaction score
Suns were an upper tier team before Barkley, they had multiple all stars won 50 plus games, he had two great years 92-94 then forced his way out. Sorry, funny guy but you have to play more than 3 years with a team to be the greatest.
Correct. The great tragedy of the Barkey years was that he came about 2 years to late to take advantage of Tom Chambers in his prime. When Barkley arrived, Tommy Gun wasn't quite what he had been.

Yeah, I think Booker is certainly the #1 best drafted player ever, edging out Walter Davis; and neck and neck with Nash, who drove the team for four years.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Nash is #1. He won 2 MVP's and is in the HOF. The suns were the definition of mediocrity without Nash. We would have continued to be a #7 seed in the west and people would have been falling asleep in the stands.

Barkley is #2 - He won an MVP, HOF and, like Nash...created the change. The suns were going nowhere before that trade.

Booker is currently #3 but has the chance to jump both of these guys....and that is by delivering a Championship. Booker has not won any MVPs, and has not single handedly changed the Suns. With just Booker...we were crap. When we gave him actual NBA players around him like Paul, Durrant etc...he has taken his game to a level we have never seen. IF...and I still think its a huge IF....but IF Booker can bring us a ring, then it becomes a no brainer he is the best Suns player of All Time and a Valley Legend in the mold of RJ, Gonzo, Fitz, Warner, Nash, Barkley

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nash is #1. He won 2 MVP's and is in the HOF. The suns were the definition of mediocrity without Nash. We would have continued to be a #7 seed in the west and people would have been falling asleep in the stands.

Barkley is #2 - He won an MVP, HOF and, like Nash...created the change. The suns were going nowhere before that trade.

Booker is currently #3 but has the chance to jump both of these guys....and that is by delivering a Championship. Booker has not won any MVPs, and has not single handedly changed the Suns. With just Booker...we were crap. When we gave him actual NBA players around him like Paul, Durrant etc...he has taken his game to a level we have never seen. IF...and I still think its a huge IF....but IF Booker can bring us a ring, then it becomes a no brainer he is the best Suns player of All Time and a Valley Legend in the mold of RJ, Gonzo, Fitz, Warner, Nash, Barkley
Disagree. Nash got the MVP's because of the Suns overall performance, but he was not a superstar on this level overall. Booker is MILES better as a defender and while Nash was a master passer and three point shooter, Booker's complete offensive arsenal far surpasses Nash. Also, Nash was still a virtual NBA nobody (OK, I exaggerate, but not a lot) when he was 26 years old.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

So let me get this straight. Book right now has better statistics then both Barkley and Nash, yet you won't say Book is the best based on that he hasn't won a championship yet.

Tell me, how many championships did Barkley and Nash win? If you are basing it on number of MVPs, then fine, that's the only thing either one of them have on Book, yet Book excels in many other aspects over those two.

Book is the best player we've ever had, period. Barkley and Nash are all time greats, but so is Booker at this point. "IF Booker can bring us a ring, then it becomes a no-brainer". It already is.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

If you put it that way . If Durant brings home the prize does he qualify?

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Booker isn't just leading the entire NBA in Playoff points thru 9 games - Booker is also 3rd in assists (behind Jokic and Draymond) - meaning Booker has more assists than any other guard in these Playoffs - and Booker (67) is only 1 assist behind Draymond (68)

Even if you only give Booker 2pts for each assist - and add that to the 331pts he's scored himself - you're talking 465pts through 9 games

That means Devin Armani Booker (on average) is contributing on at least 51pts per game, and that's not counting the assists that were actually 3 pointers

I love Steve Nash too but I'm pretty damn sure he never did that, plus Booker plays defense

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker isn't just leading the entire NBA in Playoff points thru 9 games - Booker is also 3rd in assists (behind Jokic and Draymond) - meaning Booker has more assists than any other guard in these Playoffs - and Booker (67) is only 1 assist behind Draymond (68)

Even if you only give Booker 2pts for each assist - and add that to the 331pts he's scored himself - you're talking 465pts through 9 games

That means Devin Armani Booker is contributing on at least 51pts per game, and that's not counting the assists that were actually 3 pointers

I love Steve Nash too but I'm pretty damn sure he never did that, plus Booker plays defense
Well I'm pretty sure Nash has contributed more than 51 points in a game many times although I'm not sure if he did it in the playoffs. But I'd bet CP3 did it more than once during our finals run. But regardless, Nash couldn't defend and Booker has become above average at it so I'm staying with Devin.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure Nash has contributed more than 51 points in a game many times although I'm not sure if he did it in the playoffs. But I'd bet CP3 did it more than once during our finals run. But regardless, Nash couldn't defend and Booker has become above average at it.
Yeah but we're talking 51pts per game tho, not in a game or even plural games. But I would imagine Nash did lead in Playoff assists at least a few times

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but we're talking 51pts per game tho, not in a game or even plural games. But I would imagine Nash did lead in Playoff assists at least a few times
True. I really don't recall and I'm too lazy to check but I doubt he ever had a run that comes close to what Devin is doing right now.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe no one even mentions Walter Davis. He is still #1 in all time points. He played pre 3 pointer and after the 3. If he had played his whole career with it, obviously his point total would be 1,000 or so higher.

When he got hot it was a sight to see. Silky smooth shot, great on the break...nicknamed The Greyhound.

I am not saying I would take him over Booker, given a choice, but he has to be in the conversation for all time best Suns.

Mentioned it in a game thread. Loved the Greyhound.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mentioned it in a game thread. Loved the Greyhound.
Me too. Wish we had him out there with Devin and Kevin. As I recall he had some pretty good games against Denver. I remember one season where he went for 30 (-ish) up there and then turned around and went for 40 the next time they faced each other in Phoenix. He was just so smooth. Booker makes high scoring games look common but they weren't common at all for the Suns back then.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Me too. Wish we had him out there with Devin and Kevin. As I recall he had some pretty good games against Denver. I remember one season where he went for 30 (-ish) up there and then turned around and went for 40 the next time they faced each other in Phoenix. He was just so smooth. Booker makes high scoring games look common but they weren't common at all for the Suns back then.
I was super young but I remember Walter Davis balling and Larry Nance with the double dunk back in like the early(?) 80s

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose