Devin Booker is the greatest player EVER in Suns history

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe no one even mentions Walter Davis. He is still #1 in all time points. He played pre 3 pointer and after the 3. If he had played his whole career with it, obviously his point total would be 1,000 or so higher.

When he got hot it was a sight to see. Silky smooth shot, great on the break...nicknamed The Greyhound.

I am not saying I would take him over Booker, given a choice, but he has to be in the conversation for all time best Suns.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attention Mods:

Is too late to add a poll?

Devin Booker
Charles Barkley
Steve Nash
and... Alex Len?? :)

lol or maybe some old time player in the 4th spot

I can't add a poll after the fact unfortunately. The old time player you are thinking of is Walter Davis, the franchise leading scorer for now

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley has no business being on the franchise's greatests list. He played here when we were good and the moment we weren't, he was out. He's not even top 5 in rebounding for the franchise. I actually don't see him top 5 in any franchise catagory.

Now if Chuck had these stats....

#6 in games played
#2 in minutes played
#3 in FGs made
#5 in three pointers made
#2 offensive rebounds
#1 defensive rebounds
#2 in steals
#3 in blocks
#5 in total points

But around here everyone hates that guy

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley has no business being on the franchise's greatests list. He played here when we were good and the moment we weren't, he was out. He's not even top 5 in rebounding for the franchise. I actually don't see him top 5 in any franchise catagory.

#6 in games played
#2 in minutes played
#3 in FGs made
#2 offensive rebounds
#1 defensive rebounds
#2 in steals
#3 in blocks
#5 in total points

Maybe the worst interviewee ever but a great basketball player for us. He was never the same player after the Starks undercut but he was a lot of fun to watch. If only he hadn't hadn't kicked that puppy and kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the worst interviewee ever but a great basketball player for us. He was never the same player after the Starks undercut but he was a lot of fun to watch. If only he hadn't hadn't kicked that puppy and kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

He was the best third wheel in Suns history. Bridges might have overtaken that role if he hadn't been traded.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

#6 in games played
#2 in minutes played
#3 in FGs made
#2 offensive rebounds
#1 defensive rebounds
#2 in steals
#3 in blocks
#5 in total points

I don't hate Shawn Marion. I mean without him we never would've gotten Shaq!! :biglaugh:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe no one even mentions Walter Davis. He is still #1 in all time points. He played pre 3 pointer and after the 3. If he had played his whole career with it, obviously his point total would be 1,000 or so higher.

When he got hot it was a sight to see. Silky smooth shot, great on the break...nicknamed The Greyhound.

I am not saying I would take him over Booker, given a choice, but he has to be in the conversation for all time best Suns.
I was a Suns fan Davis' entire career. There is no Suns player that compares to Book. Barkley is the closest. Amare might be second.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nary mention of Dan majerle, Kevin Johnson and Steve kerr

amare was unstoppable

not down on book but we had some amazing players and one game performances over the years

in fact Rex chapman’s playoff performance was most amazing, I remember ever time he got the ball the opponents (Seattle?) crowd would moan in pain

tom chambers had a few as well

kevin Johnson was a good one

booker is the best pure shooter I have seen

i have to admit I had drifted away as a sun’s fan, but the day we drafted a young kid out of Kentucky named devin I came back. From his highlights with Kentucky I saw something special akin to my reaction when I saw MJ play at north Carolina.

Booker is just entering his prime years, but his journey seems very Jordan like…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

#6 in games played
#2 in minutes played
#3 in FGs made
#2 offensive rebounds
#1 defensive rebounds
#2 in steals
#3 in blocks
#5 in total points

I was going to bring him up, but figured it belonged in another thread.

If you buy into metric stats, Marion is a hall of famer, easily. It is almost criminal that he isn't in yet.

I don't get why some Suns fans hate him. Really baffles me. The guy put up monster stats, a great defender and we didn't run plays for him... he got basically all his points on fast breaks and put backs. Guy was an animal.

If he played in today's league (and if Starks hadn't given him an all-time cheap shot) he would he a fixture on one of the all-nba teams. He was a tremendously underrated talent and easily the most underrated Sun of all time.

My favorite Marion moment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The D on Kobe was solid... what are you going to do? But that rebound and kick out exemplified everything that Marion did. He had an insane nose for the ball and was extremely unselfish. Love that guy.

If the Suns jerseys of that era were not so awful I would absolutely buy a Marion throwback.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Marion was a fantastic regular season player but he folded like a tortilla in the playoffs. That’s just a fact.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Suns fan Davis' entire career. There is no Suns player that compares to Book. Barkley is the closest. Amare might be second.
Really? I was too!!!!!

I agree Booker is the best. But when you start adding other names into the conversation, Davis should be included. No doubt he is top 5 all time.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love everything about the Nash, Amare, Marion era. It's hard to quantify how much that era was in my "sweet spot" as a fan.

I've been on the floor at Veterans Memorial hundreds of times (my parents had great seats) and saw all of the 80's and 90's from just to the right of the home basket. Walter Davis, KJ, and Barkley were/are the best of the 80's & 90's.

Nash was in the 2000's.
Booker has been ever since.

Without speaking ill of the 70's (my mom loved DJ) Booker is already more important, foundational, and "on his own without peer" than any of the names I have mentioned. My mom already says (tickets since the 70's) Booker is better than anyone else and I know that she knows what she is talking about. She had Dennis, Walter, Larry, KJ, and Nash in her top 6 after Book. She looks at Chuck as a mercenary with a supernova like 4 years that ended too soon to be considered. Top 10 for sure but not long enough to be in the top 6.

Like Fitzgerald, he was drafted and played (so far) his whole career here. That matters. And by the time he is done, he will be statistically dominant in every major category (top 2 or 3 for sure) and like Fitz, will have been a dominant playoff performer.

Booker is #1 by a hair now (longevity, dominance, importance, etc) which makes it possible to have this debate still because he is only 26. But by the end of the supermax it will unassailable IMO.

Absolutely unassailable.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

#6 in games played
#2 in minutes played
#3 in FGs made
#2 offensive rebounds
#1 defensive rebounds
#2 in steals
#3 in blocks
#5 in total points

Around where?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Booker is close to making this argument non-negotiable. Ill listen to any of him, Nash, and Barkley.

If Booker ever leads the Suns to a championship, he’ll have a statue put up in front of the arena. At that point, he’ll not only be the best Sun ever, but he’ll overtake Fitz as the best athlete in the state

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Booker is close to making this argument non-negotiable. Ill listen to any of him, Nash, and Barkley.

If Booker ever leads the Suns to a championship, he’ll have a statue put up in front of the arena. At that point, he’ll not only be the best Sun ever, but he’ll overtake Fitz as the best athlete in the state
Disagree with Barkley in the the top 3. Not here long enough, didn't put in 100% off the court, and left ugly. I love the guy, loved those teams, but he is more a Sixers guy than the Suns.

Nash is a better choice. But these seasons Booker is having at this point in his career, Nash was having them in Dallas. Six or 7 years in Dallas.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know people hated Marion.
A few very outspoken posters here blamed him for some postseason disappointments and the fact he wouldn't take one for the team by accepting a trade to Minnesota for Garnett. Those of us that loved him anyway learned to stay quiet so we wouldn't be mocked incessantly for daring to like a Suns player. It really isn't tolerated on this board. So it gives the impression that everyone on this forum hates Shawn and that simply isn't the case.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A few very outspoken posters here blamed him for some postseason disappointments and the fact he wouldn't take one for the team by accepting a trade to Minnesota for Garnett. Those of us that loved him anyway learned to stay quiet so we wouldn't be mocked incessantly for daring to like a Suns player. It really isn't tolerated on this board. So it gives the impression that everyone on this forum hates Shawn and that simply isn't the case.
This is pity partying at its absolute best Steve.

What you failed to understand (and apparently still do), everyone liked Marion. But he did nothing for us in the playoffs. Nothing. There was value in him helping us get to the playoffs, but he never continued his high level play in the postseason. Plays run for him or not, there is an expectation that a guy with his talent should at least contribute to a playoff run. And he frequently didn’t.

Getting tired of all the “told you so” posts on this board recently.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sort of get this. I mean I loved Marion. One of my favorite Suns players. IMO Marion took too much heat. During the playoffs the bench shortened. Meaning not only did he usually expend so much energy constantly guarding the other teams best player but was expected to play more in the playoffs as well. Then those teams played out of position often because they needed to hide Nash defensively.

That explains part of his disappearances in the playoffs but not always. I’m down the middle on this. I get both sides of this debate. I will also say by the time he left it was definitely time for him to leave.

TJ

Reaction score
I didn't know people hated Marion.

Suns fans have an interesting relationship with certain players. Marion is one of the top 15 players to ever play in Phoenix and yet there are people who cant stand him. IMO, It's part of the reason why he doesnt care much for the organization and would rather allign himself with the Mavs, along with being in nearly every trade conversation for like 5 years.

TJ

Reaction score
Disagree with Barkley in the the top 3. Not here long enough, didn't put in 100% off the court, and left ugly. I love the guy, loved those teams, but he is more a Sixers guy than the Suns.

Nash is a better choice. But these seasons Booker is having at this point in his career, Nash was having them in Dallas. Six or 7 years in Dallas.

Name me a more dominant player in Phoenix in four years than Barkley who's not named Nash or Booker. Maybe he wasnt a 100% effort guy and his exit was acromonius, but he was arguably the best to ever lace them up in Phoenix.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA