NFL Sunday Ticket

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if NFL Ticket blacks out local games and national broadcast games, such as MNF ect? MLB TV does that, which is fine because I don't watch the dbacks. We canceled cable earlier this year, trying to figure out what the cheapest way to watch NFL will be this season.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if NFL Ticket blacks out local games and national broadcast games, such as MNF ect? MLB TV does that, which is fine because I don't watch the dbacks. We canceled cable earlier this year, trying to figure out what the cheapest way to watch NFL will be this season.
The Directv version did. It was only Sunday afternoon games unavailable on local broadcast TV. During the pandemic you also got the occasional rescheduled game from Sunday.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me too. Streaming sports has not been presented well. Last season Amazon allowed delay watching but FF'ing was a nightmare and many times would go all the way back to the beginning of the game.
FF'd and Rewinding is literally the only thing not as good about streaming, on youtubeTV it actually works perfectly fine, so comparing it to Amazon may not be a good comparison.

In most ways streaming is superior. As time goes on, they are going to let you pick your own camera angles etc, which is really going to make it cool.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it used to, but I haven't had it in a few years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
FF'd and Rewinding is literally the only thing not as good about streaming, on youtubeTV it actually works perfectly fine, so comparing it to Amazon may not be a good comparison.

In most ways streaming is superior. As time goes on, they are going to let you pick your own camera angles etc, which is really going to make it cool.
The lag is a huge issue as we have said for a bit now. Another issue will be households capable of this from a bandwidth perspective. There are a lot of 40 and 50 year old football fans who don't need top internet speeds for their day to day lives IMO.

My guess is that they will need roughly 1mm to 1.5mm new subscribers to either the a-la-carte version or to the full service itself just to break even and I just don't see that happening. It would constitute a 20% jump in subscribers and not many people choose YTTV in their cord cutting strategy. They only have 5mm subscribers now and they just raised their monthly price by 12%. What makes you think they will keep them when they never wanted football in the first place and now are having to pay for it?

DTV will give me redzone to keep me. That's my guess and I'm sure the other 1.5mm DTV Sunday ticket subscribers will get it mostly free as well.

Failing would be to JUST break even on their 2bn per year investment. And I don't think they have the math behind them to make it to two billion. Especially if the user experience has a 54 second lag.

I am also holding out for an option to choose redzone and the Cardinals. I would do that I think if they offered it. And my guess is that they might.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The lag is a huge issue as we have said for a bit now. Another issue will be households capable of this from a bandwidth perspective. There are a lot of 40 and 50 year old football fans who don't need top internet speeds for their day to day lives IMO.

My guess is that they will need roughly 1mm to 1.5mm new subscribers to either the a-la-carte version or to the full service itself just to break even and I just don't see that happening. It would constitute a 20% jump in subscribers and not many people choose YTTV in their cord cutting strategy. They only have 5mm subscribers now and they just raised their monthly price by 12%. What makes you think they will keep them when they never wanted football in the first place and now are having to pay for it?

DTV will give me redzone to keep me. That's my guess and I'm sure the other 1.5mm DTV Sunday ticket subscribers will get it mostly free as well.

Failing would be to JUST break even on their 2bn per year investment. And I don't think they have the math behind them to make it to two billion. Especially if the user experience has a 54 second lag.

I am also holding out for an option to choose redzone and the Cardinals. I would do that I think if they offered it. And my guess is that they might.

Personally I am not interested in Sunday Ticket - but that is because the Cards are the only team I want to watch every play on. Otherwise I prefer RedZone.

So yeah I would think there is a limit to the number of subscribers they can get, basically primarily out of town fans.

I would think they can get just as many subscribers as their were on DTV or very close. I have a feeling they may be ok losing money on buying the package if they get a bunch of people to sign up for youtube TV - Which they will - that is the main goal is getting exclusive content people will sign up for.

Bandwidth almost everywhere is more than good enough, it is only out in rural areas that is any issue, and starlink is filling that gap quickly.

The lag means nothing if almost everyone has the lag - which they will. Even then, only hardcore gamblers should even care.

Cable and Dish is just totally dead. Everyone will be switching and a ton more stuff will go ala cart. The world changes and we don't go backwards.

If you can't handle the switch to streaming, just wait till you see what happens with AI in the next year. More has happened in the last month in AI than in all of history, and quite frankly it's actually scary.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
54 seconds is a brutal delay. I'd have to basically forgo texting with my family back in phoenix during the games with that kind of delay. That would suck.
this is fairly standard w/ most streaming services. I've been using Sling for six years and it's always been between 45-90 seconds behind live programming

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Personally I am not interested in Sunday Ticket - but that is because the Cards are the only team I want to watch every play on. Otherwise I prefer RedZone.

So yeah I would think there is a limit to the number of subscribers they can get, basically primarily out of town fans.

I would think they can get just as many subscribers as their were on DTV or very close. I have a feeling they may be ok losing money on buying the package if they get a bunch of people to sign up for youtube TV - Which they will - that is the main goal is getting exclusive content people will sign up for.

Bandwidth almost everywhere is more than good enough, it is only out in rural areas that is any issue, and starlink is filling that gap quickly.

The lag means nothing if almost everyone has the lag - which they will. Even then, only hardcore gamblers should even care.

Cable and Dish is just totally dead. Everyone will be switching and a ton more stuff will go ala cart. The world changes and we don't go backwards.

If you can't handle the switch to streaming, just wait till you see what happens with AI in the next year. More has happened in the last month in AI than in all of history, and quite frankly it's actually scary.
I don't know. I know several football fans here that have the ticket. They are mostly packer or bears fans which are shown here on local TV. They have it because sometimes the local TV games (not their teams) are boring or a blow out. I like having it because I don't have to watch commercials except during the Cards Game. They go to commercial I go to another game, one game goes to half time there is always another game to flip over to. So no matter what I am getting it they got me over the barrel. I am not missing Cards games no how no way.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Why would it fail?

Because they paid so much money and they are pricing it higher for less content.

Remember Amazon has some games. Peacock has games. CBS and Fox have games.

This last year I found the Sunday ticket to be a marginal value compared to what I paid and now it's $100 more

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This doesn’t mean latency won’t be an issue. Instead, it acknowledges that latency is one of the factors that drives the overall experience. If eliminating latency impacts quality, then consumers may have to deal with a certain amount of latency. And if buffering becomes an issue, that will be a much bigger deal than latency.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may not understand this as well as I would like, is the RedZone Channel also only going to be available on YouTube?
I became a fan of the channel the last few years and would like to be able to purchase that as a stand alone product on any service but I haven’t seen much info on it.
My sense is that it’s not possible to only purchase RedZone like it used to be, wondered if anyone knew.

I buy Redzone thru the NFL app on my phone. It's like $40/year. It used to be super cheap when it was offered thru Verizon but I think the only way you can get it stand alone is NFL app now. You can watch on multiple devices so my wife watches too, you can't cast it to TV though or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy Redzone thru the NFL app on my phone. It's like $40/year. It used to be super cheap when it was offered thru Verizon but I think the only way you can get it stand alone is NFL app now. You can watch on multiple devices so my wife watches too, you can't cast it to TV though or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Chrome Cast it.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrome Cast it.

Directv now has a new interface called Gemini that supposedly will fix something we've both whined about.. Switching from streaming NFL on Prime back to regular Directv. Says it will do it by voice command.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

In the geek/nerd circles online that I am Into, all of that has been resolved with different softwares and streaming codecs for a long time. Cord cutting cost alittle in money, time and effort to learn to stay ahead of the new stuff. I've been doing for the past 20 yrs what all these other streaming platforms are just now getting to, it amazes me that they are just now learning how to stream live TV without any buffering while the underground developers are already onto bigger things, it's baffling at times. Lol

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Because they paid so much money and they are pricing it higher for less content.

Remember Amazon has some games. Peacock has games. CBS and Fox have games.

This last year I found the Sunday ticket to be a marginal value compared to what I paid and now it's $100 more
You are forgetting the revenue they will earn from new subscribers not to mention ad revenue which they can sell outside of the normal commercial breaks. They aren’t losing money on this at all.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are forgetting the revenue they will earn from new subscribers not to mention ad revenue which they can sell outside of the normal commercial breaks. They aren’t losing money on this at all.

History shows that you don't get a lot of new subscribers. It is even more so when they aren't requiring it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

History shows that you don't get a lot of new subscribers. It is even more so when they aren't requiring it.

What Chris said.

Sunday Ticket had 1.5 to 2mm subs. Not earth shattering numbers but when you realize that many are still in contracts or wont pay for something that DTV gave them for free (Me and other people I know) make this a hard pill for me to swallow.

Then when you consider that YTTV only has 5mm subs right now? I'm not sure this can win personally. Especially THIS demographic. These aren't gen z'ers that buy ST. It's crusties like me with the disposable cash to make it work.

Directv has 13mm subs. And only 18ish percent had the ticket. 18% of YTTV's subs is 900k. That's the ceiling IMO. I'd guess they get 250k a-la-carte subs: 125mm. And maybe a 2% increase in total subs? That's 100k at 85 per month: 102mm per year. I don't see how you bridge the gap to 2 BILLION dollars per year. Even if you double or even triple my numbers your still not even 50% of the way to 2 billion.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Chris said.

Sunday Ticket had 1.5 to 2mm subs. Not earth shattering numbers but when you realize that many are still in contracts or wont pay for something that DTV gave them for free (Me and other people I know) make this a hard pill for me to swallow.

Then when you consider that YTTV only has 5mm subs right now? I'm not sure this can win personally. Especially THIS demographic. These aren't gen z'ers that buy ST. It's crusties like me with the disposable cash to make it work.

Directv has 13mm subs. And only 18ish percent had the ticket. 18% of YTTV's subs is 900k. That's the ceiling IMO. I'd guess they get 250k a-la-carte subs: 125mm. And maybe a 2% increase in total subs? That's 100k at 85 per month: 102mm per year. I don't see how you bridge the gap to 2 BILLION dollars per year. Even if you double or even triple my numbers your still not even 50% of the way to 2 billion.
The Google has the money.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think part of the value to Google is continued data mining.

I haven't paid for ST in years.

I most likely will this year or will look at the NFL app that shows replays for around $100. I'm never watching live anyway.

Latency isn't a concern. Buffering is. Rewind/FF ability is as well as stability and availability.

If I miss the start of the game am I going to have to wait hours until it ends in order to watch it can I pick it up from the start while in progress? That feature could tilt towards the ticket.

I'm definitely going to drop DTV. No ill will towards them, growing up rural the mini dishes were a huge advancement.

It's just too expensive for what it is. I can cut my bill almost in half and get some stuff I'm interested in they don't provide.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose