NFL Sunday Ticket

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Youtube TV already going up 12%. YAY
Doing the quick math on this:

Price went from 64.99 to 72.99 (12%) this month. Literally April 1st IIRC.

$8 x 12 = $96

That means that because of Sunday ticket, whether you subscribe or not ($449 vs. $349), the price is within $4 of being the same for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing the quick math on this:

Price went from 64.99 to 72.99 (12%) this month. Literally April 1st IIRC.

$8 x 12 = $96

That means that because of Sunday ticket, whether you subscribe or not ($449 vs. $349), the price is within $4 of being the same for both subscribers and non-subscribers.

My only hope here is this massively fails.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My only hope here is this massively fails.
Two things no one is talking about yet.

1. At the price YTTV paid, they will need millions of new subs to make it solvent. And that will be impossible IMO. My guess is around 100 to 250k new subscribers (with 5mm current subscribers that would be a 5% increase) and maybe 500k in a la carte subscribers. 1mm buys = 449mm
2. The user experience may look and feel great, but the latency on streaming (usually 8 to 12 seconds) will make the real-time twitter following almost impossible without spoiling individual plays.

5mm YTTV subscribers who will have an $8 per month increase = 40mm in new revenue. x 12 = 480mm
1mm people pay $449 = 449mm

DirecTV had roughly 1.5 to 2mm ST subscribers....... I don't think there is a way that they turn a profit at 2bn per year. No way.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Relevant info:

- Fans can sign up starting Tuesday for the out-of-market games package.

- There are two categories of pricing, one for those who subscribe to YouTube TV (cheaper) and those who will use YouTube Primetime Channels, a hub that features sports, movies, TV and other events.

- In the final season of DirectTV’s 28-year run, Sunday Ticket cost $300 and up to $400 bundled with the satellite carrier’s version of RedZone. Moving forward, there is only the NFL’s own RedZone available.

- After $100 presale discounts expire, **YouTube TV will charge $349 for Sunday Ticket and $389 with RedZone**; the cost on primetime channels once the presale discount ends are $449, and $489 with RedZone. Before June 6, the prices are $249 and $349 for the package on YouTube TV and Primetime Channels, and $50 more with RedZone.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone seeing how it's going to be going from game to game. I have roku/fubo...so, there is a very simplistic remote.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Two things no one is talking about yet.

1. At the price YTTV paid, they will need millions of new subs to make it solvent. And that will be impossible IMO. My guess is around 100 to 250k new subscribers (with 5mm current subscribers that would be a 5% increase) and maybe 500k in a la carte subscribers. 1mm buys = 449mm
2. The user experience may look and feel great, but the latency on streaming (usually 8 to 12 seconds) will make the real-time twitter following almost impossible without spoiling individual plays.

5mm YTTV subscribers who will have an $8 per month increase = 40mm in new revenue. x 12 = 480mm
1mm people pay $449 = 449mm

DirecTV had roughly 1.5 to 2mm ST subscribers....... I don't think there is a way that they turn a profit at 2bn per year. No way.
Looks like #2 is being talked about a lot more now.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like #2 is being talked about a lot more now.....

54 seconds is a brutal delay. I'd have to basically forgo texting with my family back in phoenix during the games with that kind of delay. That would suck.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I hope they still do the College student discount!!! I "borrowed" my kids email last season!

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And don't text or interact with your friends of family either.
Exactly. Technology is sometimes a blessing and a curse. The social media and real time communication is great but sometimes it gets out of hand trying to coordinate it all.
We have a Suberbowl party every year and trying to make DirectV lag match inside and outside at patio was a nightmare. I finally went all HD antenna to make sure all the TV's were on the same feed.
We went to Phx last year for Suberbowl and watched the game at a friends house. His YoutubeTV on the patio had a different lag than the one inside. They both kept buffering at different times. I was about to pull what little hair I have left out.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well..... This could make the delay go away I guess.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you can record a game and watch it later?

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Me too. Streaming sports has not been presented well. Last season Amazon allowed delay watching but FF'ing was a nightmare and many times would go all the way back to the beginning of the game.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. Streaming sports has not been presented well. Last season Amazon allowed delay watching but FF'ing was a nightmare and many times would go all the way back to the beginning of the game.
Yeah, that was so annoying.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. They stay for at least one year. (at least with current YoutubeTV) Not sure if Sunday ticket will allow it though; I kinda doubt it actually.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So, the NFL ticket with DirecTV is now completely gone? I had it very early on & they grandfathered me in at like $199 /year. And those channels were the only DirectTV channels I had. So, I guess the whole system & my satellite dish can all go away now?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So, the NFL ticket with DirecTV is now completely gone? I had it very early on & they grandfathered me in at like $199 /year. And those channels were the only DirectTV channels I had. So, I guess the whole system & my satellite dish can all go away now?
Yes.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Absolutely. They stay for at least one year. (at least with current YoutubeTV) Not sure if Sunday ticket will allow it though; I kinda doubt it actually.
I kept the NFC Championship on my DTV DVR for 7 years. Hated that upgrade.

They used to broadcast the shortcuts and you could record those too. Shortcuts went to streaming only years ago. I had seasons on my DVR's for a while at 30 minutes per game. It was awesome.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sad effort if they’re trying build support for their offering.

Reactions: PJ1

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
- In the final season of DirectTV’s 28-year run, Sunday Ticket cost $300 and up to $400 bundled with the satellite carrier’s version of RedZone. Moving forward, there is only the NFL’s own RedZone available.
I may not understand this as well as I would like, is the RedZone Channel also only going to be available on YouTube?
I became a fan of the channel the last few years and would like to be able to purchase that as a stand alone product on any service but I haven’t seen much info on it.
My sense is that it’s not possible to only purchase RedZone like it used to be, wondered if anyone knew.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose