Reasons to not panic;

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One interesting situation is the use of Simmons, Collins, and White. If the Cardinals move to a 4-3 as expected, I think Simmons fit becomes much better as an OLB. Collins I'm not so sure of; I think he's a better a better fit at OLB as well. White is definitely not a MIKE.

I also think that some of the answers are on the roster. Cam Thomas is an intriguing fit at SDE. Sanders looks to be a rotational fit at WDE. Tackle is fairly ugly right now with Strong, Lawrence, Fotu, and Ledbetter (or is he a DE?). If you add Will Anderson Jr., end doesn't look too bad.
A Chopper has said, it's going to be really hard to evaluate that trio with nothing in front of them and nothing on the edges.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this rebuild is longer than 1 season. However If I'm rebuilding I start with the front 7 of the Defense and OL (with OT being the most important). I think the Cardinals are OK at OT for the time being. Their LB crew is solid. DL is where the big issues are and that needs to be addressed ASAP.

In the Draft I go:

Anderson - Instant Edge Rusher on the DL

Then look at the middle of lines on both sides of the ball. DT and C. There should be a lot of players available in the 2nd that can start immediately at C or DT. This is where the Cardinals need to get another 2nd rounder for DHop via trade.

Then I look at maybe CB or another DT

Later in the Draft I snag a RB or two.

Not going to be able to completely rebuild the team in one offseason but the groundwork is laid.
MCD, your post is right on. Why can’t some see this?

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
1) Byron Murphy. Would have liked to keep him but you know PP had to have been in his ear Relentlessly. This was a long shot. Good for him. I’m over it.

2) Zach Allen. He knows where he is relative to other players. He needs to put himself in the best position to maximize a third contract, and that logically starts with the DC. Another long shot. I’m over it here also. Good for him I hope he does well, always seemed like a guy you could win with. He wasn’t coming back, nobody with a straight face could say otherwise.

Either of these guys might have returned if we taped the checkbook to a hammer (just made that up, not bad right?), but would that have been better, or worse?

3) I don’t have any comment one way or another on the former Iggles flying south for the winter, other than that’s just part of the rebuild. They can’t not do this. This isn’t an indictment of the current front office, it just is what it is. It would be dumb to bring in the same caliber players from some other random organization as opposed to ones who they think can help implement what they want to do, no?

D) The draft. This would be a hard draft to mess up, whether they stayed put at 3, traded down to 4 (yes please), or traded down again (nobody is trading up to 4, right? Right?). Draft defense and running game. They have to anyway, and it gives them a chance at least to be competitive until the next item on the list.

5) Kyler Murray. I’m very bullish on this one. Dude is keeping receipts on the doubters. I would not be surprised at all if he comes back a vastly improved player. That’s my gut feeling. Flame away. Or don’t. Whichever.

6) Our linebackers. I think you’re nuts if you give up on these guys. Way too much emphasis is put on them being off the ball. It’s easy to say and sounds provocative, but to think that either one of them doesn’t know how to play any of the LB spots is nuts. Besides the problem was VJ right? Right? You can’t have a quality defense without quality linebackers. Again I’m pretty bullish on this group as well.

7) Our offense is going to run through the running game (from the department of redundancy department), so go ahead and get what you can for Hopkins. He’s a mercenary, which he should be. Hope he does great for the Bears next year.
Outstanding take!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Numbers 1 and 2 are old news, easy to move on from.

Anderson will probably get picked by Houston. Houston will probably make a play for Hooker later in the draft. Just my opinion.

I like that the Admin has really kept all dealings in house and not in the media.

I can’t wait for Kyler to come back from his surgery and rehabilitation.

The draft should be fun.
Respectfully disagree

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you know VJ was the problem? Why CAN’T it be Collins or Simmons?
It can and actually probably is all them. I think we have seen the best of Simmons. I think we will have a clear idea of Collins after this year

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any cards fan with eyes can see that VJ is not a good DC, a good DC could figure out how to use Collins & Simmons, especially Simmons. That kid was amazing at Clemson & there's no way he just forgot how to play defense since he left.
How many amazing college players have gotten into the NFL and failed? Your argument lacks accuracy and, like too many around here, never holds the players or their positional coaches accountable

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We can’t see this because IT’S NOT WHATS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.
I don't agree with the current strategy at all. I would have (assuming they wanted to stay) resigned Murphy and Allen. Neither contract was particularly ridiculous. I think I said prior to the start of FA that Allen might get up to $17 and he got less. I also thought Murphy would sign for more as well.

I'm waiting for the draft to really form and opinion, but I'm not optimistic. I very much believe that the Cardinals will find a way to screw this up (i.e. trade down for less than premium compensation and draft a player at a position that isn't a massive need like Edge).

But I try to view every signing holistically:

1. Kyzir White. Definitely was a need and he can help influence the culture that Gannon is bringing.

2. Kevin Strong. Rotational lunch pail DL. Might not seem like a need, but I like this move when you consider the roster alternatives.

3. Trio of OL. Froholdt (sp?) is an intriguing competition piece. So is Howerton. Daley is a LG candidate. These are belly of the roster moves. Anyone saying the Cardinals bringing in Daley to play tackle aren't looking at the move with any level of depth. He was a solid LG for a few years in Carolina. It's worth taking a swing on a solid player at low money.

4. LJ Collier. Lots of need on the DL and it's worth taking a shot on a former 1st rounder for low money. Maybe he sticks? Maybe he doesn't. Either way it's a low risk move.

The issue now is where do the Cardinals spend the rest of the money?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Anyone saying the Cardinals bringing in Daley to play tackle aren't looking at the move with any level of depth. He was a solid LG for a few years in Carolina. It's worth taking a swing on a solid player at low money.
How do you square this opinion with the fact that Daley didn't play well enough in Carolina for them even to extend an RFA tender?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many amazing college players have gotten into the NFL and failed? Your argument lacks accuracy and, like too many around here, never holds the players or their positional coaches accountable
I get that but did you actually watch Simmons in college? Now think about his DC with the Cardinals? I rest my case lol.

Reaction score
Go find my explanation on any number of threads. Hell, I probably explained it in this one.
Where? All I've seen is a bunch of criticizing of others for not seeing the "way" they are going. It's pretty much the front office & coaches don't have a clue on how to do their jobs from what I gather. At least point me to your post explaining what you think is happening & the teams plan.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose