Free Agency

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Naw they are saving cap space to extend Josh Jones and Isaiah Simmons!
Waiving Simmons' fifth-year option just to have him go God Mode and then spending 150% of his option number to keep him is complete #birdcity.

Getting right with the cap in 2023 so you can spend $60 million in 2024 cap on Simmons and Hollywood Brown combined?

That's so #birdcity

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Waiving Simmons' fifth-year option just to have him go God Mode and then spending 150% of his option number to keep him is complete #birdcity.

Getting right with the cap in 2023 so you can spend $60 million in 2024 cap on Simmons and Hollywood Brown combined?

That's so #birdcity
Trading away Hop for peanuts then paying Hollywood 20M per year might do me in.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trading away Hop for peanuts then paying Hollywood 20M per year might do me in.

I dunno. I mean, that's an emotional choice. I totally understand it, but those are two different things for me.

DHop would be a Just Business kind of mistake.

Hollywood would actually be a value at $20 million per year. Tyler Boyd, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, and Justin Jefferson will probably re-adjust the market at the position to where the top players are making $32 million to $35 million a year.

It will be #birdcity to let him leave or pay him $30 million a year when they could extend him now for $22 million.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

That's so #birdcity
Unfortunately, they might look at the current cap space and think this. If you could lock in Hollywood for $12 million per, would you do it? I probably would. Simmons is a break out candidate just because it will likely screw the Cardinals over to have to pay him after all we've gone through with him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they might look at the current cap space and think this. If you could lock in Hollywood for $12 million per, would you do it? I probably would. Simmons is a break out candidate just because it will likely screw the Cardinals over to have to pay him after all we've gone through with him.
His agent would hang up the phone in five seconds. This is freaking hilarious.

Nelson Agholor makes $11 million a year. He's gonna sign for less than Diontae Johnson got on a two-year extension last summer?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hollywood is already $13.4m guaranteed against the Cap in 2023.

I think Simmons' $12.7m 5th-year option is worth the risk.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His agent would hang up the phone in five seconds. This is freaking hilarious.

Nelson Agholor makes $11 million a year. He's gonna sign for less than Diontae Johnson got on a two-year extension last summer?
Oh I don't doubt that.

I'm just not thrilled about the Cardinals paying him. Ugh.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
picking up Simmons $12.7mm option is an easy yes

he has enough splash plays to warrant seeing if a diff coaching staff can get the consistency on the usual plays to go along with the wow stuff

if the answer to the above is "no" -- the problem corrects itself

but if the answer is "yes" -- the Cards control his rights and the franchise tag (if it came to that) for a LB is affordable

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And take an $81m 'dead' money hit.

It doesn't sound like a plan likely to get broad support.

By the looks of the upcoming 2023 season, we probably won't be that competitive in 2024 either. Unless all our rookies are just home run picks and top free agents suddenly want to come here. Not holding my breath.

A shiny new QB would most likely get support. We are strapped as a franchise cause we have an expensive, oft injured QB who we may not even know is the guy until 2024 at minimum. But then are we extending Hollywood to play with his bro?

Sure, maybe we get 6-9 wins out of him in 2024, but now you aren't gunna get a sweet QB with a top pick, or have to spend a fortune to move up if he doesn't end up working out.

If we get a top pick next draft then it would be foolish to let a QB slide. So what, we keep Kyler for a year with his ~$50 million cap hit and let the rookie take over his inevitable injury, then trade him the following year?

Bite the bullet. 2024 is also toast, we got dead money in 2024 from Hudson and Watt, get clean books in 2025 with a QB on a rookie deal and all young talent.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm so out of it these days...... When is the deadline to pick up the option on Simmons?