2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz beat the Kings. They occupy the 10th spot. OKC and the Jazz have identical 35-36 records.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Jazz beat the Kings. They occupy the 10th spot. OKC and the Jazz have identical 35-36 records.
Watched the 4th quarter. Jazz made out like bandits in the Gobert and Mitchell trades. Kessler had 5 blocks last night and was all over Sabonis. Ochai Agbagi had 27 points. They won without Markannen last night. Will Hardy is a really good young coach.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the 4th quarter. Jazz made out like bandits in the Gobert and Mitchell trades. Kessler had 5 blocks last night and was all over Sabonis. Ochai Agbagi had 27 points. They won without Markannen last night. Will Hardy is a really good young coach.

The Jazz are going to be really loaded down the road and they are loaded with draft picks. Who says you can't eat your cake and have it too. I think the same applies to the Nets.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz are going to be really loaded down the road and they are loaded with draft picks. Who says you can't eat your cake and have it too. I think the same applies to the Nets.
Suns could do this too if they want to unload Booker and Ayton. Because that's what it would take.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns could do this too if they want to unload Booker and Ayton. Because that's what it would take.

Definitely do not want to do this with Booker.

The Suns might decide to do this with Ayton but I doubt they get a return like the Jazz got for Gobert.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Suns might decide to do this with Ayton but I doubt they get a return like the Jazz got for Gobert.

Yep.

One the suns don’t have a Mark like the jazz. So the suns can’t be in the same competitive position as the jazz.

No one is giving that many picks for ayton like Goober.

Book and Don are about equal value market wise.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

None of those teams are competing for a title anytime soon. I am just saying if the Suns want that kind of haul of assets it would take Booker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.

One the suns don’t have a Mark like the jazz. So the suns can’t be in the same competitive position as the jazz.

No one is giving that many picks for ayton like Goober.

Book and Don are about equal value market wise.

The Jazz really got a nice return for Gobert but I'd rather have Ayton. I think he is the better player and he is much younger.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of those teams are competing for a title anytime soon. I am just saying if the Suns want that kind of haul of assets it would take Booker.

I understand. The Nets got an even better haul for Durant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's close but I think I'd rather have Ayton than Gobert too but I'd much rather have what the Jazz got for Gobert than DA.

Yeah. The Timberwolves way overpaid. I'd be tempted to take that haul as well if it were offered for Ayton but I don't think that is happening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scalding hot Nets who are burning up the court to the tune of winning 6 out of 16 games since the trade? Only perpetual fans of mediocrity and the underdog consider that eating cake.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scalding hot Nets who are burning up the court to the tune of winning 6 out of 16 games since the trade? Only perpetual fans of mediocrity and the underdog consider that eating cake.

The Nets do have a better record than the Suns at 39-32 versus 38-33. Plus, they have some nice young players the Suns sent their way in addition to four first round draft picks and a swap.

It wasn't long ago the Nets were built on superstars. However, that didn't work out so well for them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets do have a better record than the Suns at 39-32 versus 38-33. Plus, they have some nice young players the Suns sent their way in addition to four first round draft picks and a swap.

It wasn't long ago the Nets were built on superstars. However, that didn't work out so well for them.
The Nets have also been considered one of the most incompetent front office despite those moves for years. Nobody even thought twice about them until they got Kyrie and KD. So, not sure saying that it didn't work out for them is much of a barometer. Then to get a haul of assets they had to do a fire sale. You don't have to do a fire sale unless things completely went wrong. The Nets have yet to get it right.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets have also been considered one of the most incompetent front office despite those moves for years. Nobody even thought twice about them until they got Kyrie and KD. So, not sure saying that it didn't work out for them is much of a barometer. Then to get a haul of assets they had to do a fire sale. You don't have to do a fire sale unless things completely went wrong. The Nets have yet to get it right.

I don't disagree, which makes it all the more awkward. The Nets even traded James Harden for Ben Simmons. I don't like helping their front office.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree, which makes it all the more awkward. The Nets even traded James Harden for Ben Simmons. I don't like helping their front office.
I can give someone a tool. If they don't know how to use or use it right it won't do them much good. Do you really think Bridges is going to stay with the Nets for the rest of his career? Cam J? Do you think they are going to go to the promised land of a title with those assets?

If you said no to most of those......not sure we helped them much.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doesn't matter what the Nets record is. What matters is how high of a pick we'll be giving the Nets. We're supplying talent for their rebuild, talent we are in no position to do without because our stars can't stay healthy carrying the load ahead of them. The Nets are retooling, we're supposed to be contending. How many games has KD played for us again?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can give someone a tool. If they don't know how to use or use it right it won't do them much good. Do you really think Bridges is going to stay with the Nets for the rest of his career? Cam J? Do you think they are going to go to the promised land of a title with those assets?

If you said no to most of those......not sure we helped them much.

Are the Nets in a better position for the future now or before the trade? Simple question. Which future's brighter, disgruntled KD who is injured and no assets or loaded with assets and young talent, with potential cap space on the horizon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You realize that 39-32 record is built on the strength of KD leading them to a scorching run?

I mean, you can’t be that obtuse to look at the Nets record and attribute that to Bridges/Cam when the reality is they’re a bad 6-10 since the trade. Are you really that obtuse?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That wasn't a "fire sale". That term indicates they gave up any and all assets at a discount, they got full value for KD from us despite him being a depreciating asset who is 34 and can't stay healthy. The Suns gave up a haul indicating he was healthy and younger. He's 34, the window is cracked open for this year and next despite being on the hook for 3 more seasons of his salary. He's not on a sweet deal that's movable like CP3 either. If he breaks down we'll be lucky to get expirings in return and we'll still be forking over draft picks to the Nets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what the Nets record is. What matters is how high of a pick we'll be giving the Nets. We're supplying talent for their rebuild, talent we are in no position to do without because our stars can't stay healthy carrying the load ahead of them. The Nets are retooling, we're supposed to be contending. How many games has KD played for us again?
That wasn’t my point. Mainstreet is lauding how great they are, being able to have their cake and eat it too when the reality is they’re still serving crap with a 6-10 record since the trade and will be getting mediocre draft picks moving forward. That ain’t like the Jazz who have been .500 all season with a bunch of draft picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You realize that 39-32 record is built on the strength of KD leading them to a scorching run?

I mean, you can’t be that obtuse to look at the Nets record and attribute that to Bridges/Cam when the reality is they’re a bad 6-10 since the trade. Are you really that obtuse?

I get it. If you can't win the discussion, you attack the person.

Do you think calling someone "obtuse" elevates you?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That wasn’t my point. Mainstreet is lauding how great they are, being able to have their cake and eat it too when the reality is they’re still serving crap with a 6-10 record since the trade and will be getting mediocre draft picks moving forward. That ain’t like the Jazz who have been .500 all season with a bunch of draft picks.

The picks on the back end of the deal have a strong chance to be very juicy.

The Nets have a team of small forwards right now, they need a point guard. Dinwiddle is trying to fill the role and he's terrible at it. They've also had a brutal stretch of the schedule. And besides, the Nets did this trade for the future.

And... it's not like we're setting the world on fire either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose