Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if Caleb is still getting the major hype by this time next year considering he has similar attitude issues like Kyler that everyone hates & only 6’1.

Yes, but rookie contract $$. Kyler might have what it takes, he might improve in the areas he needs to, he might be fine after his acl tear, doing so at ~$45 million a year, and we won't really know next year so we really gotta wait the following year to see, even then we may not have our answer.

If we do end up with the #1 pick it would probably be best for a reset.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but rookie contract $$. Kyler might have what it takes, he might improve in the areas he needs to, he might be fine after his acl tear, but if we do end up with the #1 pick it would probably be best for a reset.
This really isn’t about the rookie contract $$ or Kyler. I’m only speaking of Caleb not getting the same hype next year as he’s getting now. Wouldn’t even be surprised if Maye was ahead of him in the draft process by this time next year.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This really isn’t about the rookie contract $$ or Kyler. I’m only speaking of Caleb not getting the same hype next year as he’s getting now. Wouldn’t even be surprised if Maye was ahead of him in the draft process by this time next year.

The dude just won a Heisman, so he'd have to fall off pretty hard. Maye might yes, but either way, a QB at #1.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dude just won a Heisman, so he'd have to fall off pretty hard. Maye might yes, but either way, a QB at #1.
Lamar also won the Heisman & didn’t get drafted in the top 20.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
+1 Jake Locker

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lamar also won the Heisman & didn’t get drafted in the top 20.

Was he ever considered a top QB going in the NFL? All the talk about Stroud/Young, next year QB hype is already putting them ahead. Again, he'd have to have a pretty huge fall from grace to not get the hype.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if Caleb is still getting the major hype by this time next year considering he has similar attitude issues like Kyler that everyone hates & only 6’1.
Bryce Young is going top-3 and he’s 5.10”. Caleb is going #1.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That’s the point. Bryce Young was talked about as the #1 QB prospect for the past two years now he might not even be the #2 QB prospect off the board due to his height/frame.
And Caleb is a giant compared to him. Something crazy would have to happen for him to drop off the #1 spot.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Caleb is a giant compared to him. Something crazy would have to happen for him to drop off the #1 spot.
And Caleb is still a mini-me compared to Maye.

It doesn’t have to be that crazy. Justin Fields was a notch below Trevor Lawrence when it came to hype, but he still was the 4th QB drafted in his own class.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And Caleb is still a mini-me compared to Maye.

It doesn’t have to be that crazy. Justin Fields was a notch below Trevor Lawrence when it came to hype, but he still was the 4th QB drafted in his own class.
Caleb is closer to Mahomes than Young in terms of talent. I don’t see his size at 6’1 or 6’2 hitting him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Man, I was actually liking the things we were doing right up until this point. After letting Allen go, there was no reason to allow a young up and coming CB who we drafted and developed leave to another team on such a team friendly contract. Pure silliness.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I would have paid Byron 3/$42 million/$22-25 million guaranteed without pissing on the toilet seat.

He’s worth too 10 money

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either players reeeeeeeeeeeally don't want to play for us or we are about to have one of the most shameless tanked seasons of all time.

I'm getting ahead of things here, but if we bottom out, probably holding Kyler out for the whole year, land the #1 pick... then what? We trade back? We keep it and draft a QB? We can't get rid of Kyler until after the 2024 season so... if we take a QB do we give Kyler the job back and hope he makes himself tradable?

That is a ways out, but unless you're overtly tanking for some QB you absolutely love... I don't see the point in letting productive, 25 year old players walk for contract rates that seem pretty damn reasonable.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An aside, Byron Murphy Senior lives in town, he lives in an apartment complex a friend of mine lives in that is not exactly premium rentals. It's mostly single, young, dudes or dirt poor families.

My buddy is under the impression that Senior and Junior are not particularly close.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet this thread is a fun place to be.

First up, I did say Murphy was getting nowhere near $16m.

The reason he's getting nowhere near $16m is that he isn't a CB1 and has never been close. He's a decent CB2 or middling slot which is why the Vikings are paying him CB2 money.

We already have a CB2 in Marco Wilson that costs us less than $1m a year. We don't need another that costs $11m, we need a CB1.

That being said, for this money I would have signed him on a short deal considering the state of the roster and that we are paying Marco Wilson very little. We could have found a role for Murphy.

But I'm not the GM and they know better than me. Maybe they have something else lined up or a plan for the draft.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I woke up even more dumbfounded than I was last night. He went from a bottom 2 franchise to the #1 franchise according to that players survey.

This is not how winning franchises conduct themselves. Two straight years they let a top 2nd round pick from the freaking valley with clear upside get away. We may not know the exact reasons, but I bet Byron makes Monti look just as dumb as Kirk made Keim look.

The only person who remains a constant. Mike Bidwill.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose