Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wilkes had 1000% more talented team than this. This is a full on , on purpose tank.

Gannon knows it, Monti and MB know it.

This time next year were going to be set up great. Probably the first overall pick, and lots of money to rebuild the roster
I dunno how much more talented that 2018 team was than this one. More top-end talent between Peterson and Jones maybe.

What is being fixed on the cap this season? No one can seem to answer that question. We came into the off-season with some of the most cap space in the league.

With cap space and a high draft pick this year, why would we tank so we can… have cap space and a high draft pick next year? We’re not cleaning up bad contracts unless and until we’re rid of James Conner and Zach Ertz.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assertion without evidence

I mean, I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of negative nonsense to start but I didn't expect it before free agency officially started. The first brush strokes have been made on the canvas and already your criticizing the artist without any idea what the final picture is supposed to be.

That's it guys. Monti sucks already because he let a couple of average players walk. A couple of guys that have never sniffed a pro bowl and who between them (cover your ears here K9) have 1 season with a PFF grade over 70 in 8. Between them they have 5 years below 60.

But we drafted them, and they are young, so we should get all angsty about it. You'd think we let Quinnen Williams and Patrick Surtain walk.

Two complete average players in any measurable aspect. Albeit standout on this roster.

I could find an argument to keep both of them in a different situation, but at the same time it's certainly not the end of the world.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think MB is playing a dangerous game here. You had a 4 win team, and now youre only star player is hurt and you are tanking?....and you raised ticket prices 25%???

At what point to we just stop selling tickets?? I wouldnt pay to see this team next year.

I think this is dangerous for Gannon too. I'm sure hes been told by MB that he is safe this year no matter what...but what if he puts out a team that is Wilkes level unwatchable....can't cross the 50 yard line...every game feels like torture. MB has fired his last 2 coaches, why wouldnt he can Gannon as well?

Free Agency hasn't even started. We have no idea what this team will look like come the Summer.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I mean, I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of negative nonsense to start but I didn't expect it before free agency officially started. The first brush strokes have been made on the canvas and already your criticizing the artist without any idea what the final picture is supposed to be.

That's it guys. Monti sucks already because he let a couple of average players walk. A couple of guys that have never sniffed a pro bowl and who between them (cover your ears here K9) have 1 season with a PFF grade over 70 in 8. Between them they have 5 years below 60.

But we drafted them, and they are young, so we should get all angsty about it. You'd think we let Quinnen Williams and Patrick Surtain walk.

Two complete average players in any measurable aspect. Albeit standout on this roster.

I could find an argument to keep both of them in a different situation, but at the same time it's certainly not the end of the world.

Free Agency hasn't even started. We have no idea what this team will look like come the Summer.
Love these posts copy-and-pasted from last year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What is being fixed on the cap this season? No one can seem to answer that question. We came into the off-season with some of the most cap space in the league.
would really love to know the FOs vision and plan right now

to me: setting the team up for the future would mean eating bad contracts that Keim gave to Ertz and Conner.

Instead, its bringing back a 30+ right tackle while letting a solid DE and CB in their mid 20s walk.

maybe the team has true football related reasons for doing this, but its hard to see from here

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I dunno how much more talented that 2018 team was than this one. More top-end talent between Peterson and Jones maybe.

With cap space and a high draft pick this year, why would we tank so we can… have cap space and a high draft pick next year? We’re not cleaning up bad contracts unless and until we’re rid of James Conner and Zach Ertz.
I love the coping mechanism of "we're tanking for next year". FOR WHAT?!? We HAVE A QB AND CAN'T EFFECTIVELY GET RID OF HIM.

What's the next step? Getting rid of bad contracts? Haven't done that at all. Our only strategy so far appears to be letting our only young talent walk at reasonable rates. Can't wait to see what this team has up next!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

Does anyone thing the first day of free agency is an appropriate, rational or sensible time to be making the kind of statements seen on this board lately?

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

Does anyone thing the first day of free agency is an appropriate, rational or sensible time to be making the kind of statements seen on this board lately?

Nope. I swear it feels like everyone thinks Keim is still the GM. We have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors. The fact that everyone here knows more than the guys who haven’t even started FA yet wants me to put a bullet in my head reading this ****. Buncha glass half empty armchair GMs. Maybe we deserve a ****** team.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

of course not. But there exists a special type of fan that over reacts to everything because its in their DNA

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course not. But there exists a special type of fan that over reacts to everything because its in their DNA
Lol… yes, lots of overreacting from a fam base that has seen the Cardinals have a winning record ONCE IN EIGHT YEARS.

There’s also a special type of fan who will swallow as much crap as this team serves it and begs for more. And almost always look like morons for doing so when the product on the field matches the crap the fans swallow.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nope. I swear it feels like everyone thinks Keim is still the GM. We have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors. The fact that everyone here knows more than the guys who haven’t even started FA yet wants me to put a bullet in my head reading this ****. Buncha glass half empty armchair GMs. Maybe we deserve a ****** team.
I know if I am tanking or rebuilding I don't cost myself a 4th round comp pick by signing another off-ball LB to a two year deal.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know if I am tanking or rebuilding I don't cost myself the 4th round comp pick I got by letting a 26 year old CB go by signing another off-ball LB to a two year deal.

That’s a fair statement but we still don’t know what the broader picture is. We know they said they wanted to build from the trenches out. If we get to summer and that doesn’t seem to have happened then I think we can complain.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dec 31st '22: Keim sucks. Burn it down. Fire everyone. Major rebuild needed.

Mar 15th '23: WTF is the new GM doing? I don't want to suck next year. When I said rebuild I didn't mean the player I like.

Makes no sense.

Newsflash. We're going to suck next year. Our starting QB is going to miss games. The roster is at least 2 years away from being competitive.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Dec 31st '22: Keim sucks. Burn it down. Fire everyone. Major rebuild needed.

Mar 15th '23: WTF is the new GM doing? I don't want to suck next year. When I said rebuild I didn't mean the player I like.

Makes no sense.

Newsflash. We're going to suck next year. Our starting QB is going to miss games. The roster is at least 2 years away from being competitive.
I think you can root for a rebuild and still be upset we didn’t re-sign players who should be part of that rebuild. No one thinks Zach Allen and Byron Murphy make us competitive next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know if I am tanking or rebuilding I don't cost myself a 4th round comp pick by signing another off-ball LB to a two year deal.

A new HC always wants to bring a player they know on their side of the ball that knows how they want to play and can spread that message to the locker room.

I could care less about losing a 4th round comp pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s a fair statement but we still don’t know what the broader picture is. We know they said they wanted to build from the trenches out. If we get to summer and that doesn’t seem to have happened then I think we can complain.
Signing an off-ball LB doesn't accomplish that. Giving up extra picks doesn't accomplish that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear...

no but can anybody tell me how the team got better by letting Allen and Murphy go?

If you're not making the talent on the roster better what is the goal? I get the new GM and coach remake the roster but when you do that you get rid of bad contracts, guys with bad work ethics etc. They were both FA's and signed relatively cheaply so not bad contracts. Zach Allen we were told by JJ Watt was a great guy who worked his azz off to get better. Murphy the only knock on him appears to be injury. So maybe we avoided an injury plagued career by Murphy I guess we won't know that for awhile.

If the first pick is Will Anderson we can say great we added a pass rusher, but we already lost our best pass rushers from last year. Fine with Golden being let go and JJ retired but as of today the leading returning sack guy from last season is Simmons with 4. I like Sanders and Thomas so if we add Anderson that's great but he's not going to make up 21.5 sacks which is what JJ, Zach and Markus got last year.

IMO we'd be a better team this year with both Zach and Will Anderson than we are with just Will. So unless we sign someone in FA who's comparable to Zach, we didn't improve the team by letting him walk.

Maybe we'll get someone in the draft that can replace him, but we still replaced a guy we could have retained and used that pick to fill another hole.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you can root for a rebuild and still be upset we didn’t re-sign players who should be part of that rebuild.

Absolutely people can be upset. Screaming and ranting that we suck and the new GM has no clue (and a bunch of other things) is not being upset.

I don't know why anyone thinks they should be part of the rebuild. Neither have been pro bowl players or even close. Neither have even been consistently good. Neither have stayed healthy.

They have been good enough that it's not hard to make an argument for them to stick around. At the same time they haven't been so good or without their issues that it's hard to make an argument for not resigning them. They were both knife edge guys in my opinion. Especially Murphy.

There isn't a single player on the roster outside of Budda Baker and anyone on a rookie contract that shows potential (Wilson, Zaven, Thomas etc) that should feel safe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave