Bucks @ Suns Tuesday game thread 3-14-2023

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you can say this. Drafting players over 55 years is exactly trying to do this. What you are missing in your evaluation are all the misssed picks the Suns made along the way that PREVENTED them from getting it done this way.

We were doing that... just now... they broke up a team in the mix out of impatience. That is something we’ve seen them do before.

Especially with a GM with a poor drafting record?

We are only in this position because of recent success in the draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway, if we want to continue this debate we should do it in the Durant thread and stop polluting the game thread.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were doing that... just now... they broke up a team in the mix out of impatience. That is something we’ve seen them do before.

they broke up a team without a number one superstar to try and get one because having one is the most important piece of winning a title. Injuries might completely derail that team but I don't know how any of you watch so much basketball and still can't see that a team with Booker as it's number 1 was never going to win a title.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they broke up a team without a number one superstar to try and get one because having one is the most important piece of winning a title. Injuries might completely derail that team but I don't know how any of you watch so much basketball and still can't see that a team with Booker as it's number 1 was never going to win a title.

We came a couple plays away from winning already.

Last year, talent was not the issue in our defeat.

I think patience and some shrewd tinkering was more likely to yield the reward.

But... maybe we will be the 2019 Raptors.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Agreed. I have tried to move on because nothing is going to change. Best to just hope for the best with what we have now.

I don't find it very productive to talk about what if's in the past cause no time machine invention is imminent.
On the other hand, it's a discussion board so I get it. But the fact remains that it won't change anything.

Superbone

Reaction score
Im doing a nice early fan suns stress banna kush hit already....

Im soooo nervous on this gm.... just please no blowout again :( and is giannis playing ton.....?
I'm not nervous. I'm expecting a loss. But I'm always the optimist hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To have a legit shot to win a championship! We weren’t winning it with Mikal and Cam sorry but that’s just truth they have disappeared in the playoffs enough to know how they play when pressure is there imo. Glad they doing well in Brooklyn but there is zero pressure at this point…
And people said the same thing about Giannis until he finally won one. And the legend of Mikal is quite distorted here, now it seems he's even the reason we lost to Dallas. All told Mikal has slightly better stats in the postseason including the Dallas series. I don't know about CamJ but he really wasn't all the way back from his injury last season.

But I agree, we weren't winning it all this season with Mikal and CamJ, not even if we'd added a rotation player or two. The decline of CP3 changed our immediate fortunes, IMO until we successfully move on from him we're just marking time.

But CP3 will likely be off the books in a year or two and if we still had Booker, Ayton, CamJ, Bridges, Jae and all our draft picks, it probably wouldn't have taken long to put us in the annual conversation for championship contenders. Especially with a new owner willing to spend. Now, we are on a deadline of our own making. Maybe it will work but IMO we have to get really lucky and we have a very short window in which to make that happen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And people said the same thing about Giannis until he finally won one. And the legend of Mikal is quite distorted here, now it seems he's even the reason we lost to Dallas. All told Mikal has slightly better stats in the postseason including the Dallas series. I don't know about CamJ but he really wasn't all the way back from his injury last season.

But I agree, we weren't winning it all this season with Mikal and CamJ, not even if we'd added a rotation player or two. The decline of CP3 changed our immediate fortunes, IMO until we successfully move on from him we're just marking time.

But CP3 will likely be off the books in a year or two and if we still had Booker, Ayton, CamJ, Bridges, Jae and all our draft picks, it probably wouldn't have taken long to put us in the annual conversation for championship contenders. Especially with a new owner willing to spend. Now, we are on a deadline of our own making. Maybe it will work but IMO we have to get really lucky and we have a very short window in which to make that happen.
Come on that’s pretty weak. That team had Middleton, Jrue and Brook Lopez, so that narrative is not a good look.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save your breath. There will be no changing of minds and we’re going to hear about it for the next couple years.
Well, of course we will. But it's not like we're all starting conversations about how great it was or how poorly thought out this decision was, there's a conversation going on from both camps and some in between. Both sides are running this into the ground, not just me and the others that dislike the deal. That's life on a message board. Just look how often posters still bring up Stix or Haliburton or Joe Johnson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on that’s pretty weak. That team had Middleton, Jrue and Brook Lopez, so that narrative is not a good look.
How is that relevant? Posters here said that Giannis will never carry his team to a championship because the team had already failed a couple of times. And then he led his team to a championship. It's a team game and every superstar has players around him, usually they have pretty good ones around them. But the blame usually falls on them anytime they come up short. And my point is it's foolish to write off the careers of 25 or 26 year olds solely because something hasn't happened yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is that relevant? Posters here said that Giannis will never carry his team to a championship because the team had already failed a couple of times. And then he led his team to a championship. It's a team game and every superstar has players around him, usually they have pretty good ones around them. But the blame usually falls on them anytime they come up short. And my point is it's foolish to write off the careers of 25 or 26 year olds solely because something hasn't happened yet.
Do you have quotes for that? Curious who said that and how long ago.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys crying over spilled milk isn't going to help any.
Then what's the point of being here? Posters in favor of the deal have had free rein to say what they want, why in the world shouldn't those of us that think it's the dumbest decision the Suns have ever made have a right to respond too? Especially since we're paying a price every game now for having made that trade. Frustration and disappointment are high, I'm sure if KD gets back and helps us look like a contender again, the talk will die down.

And I know complaing about it isn't going to help but it's either say my piece or kick my dog. And I'd have to buy a dog in order to kick it and my cats aren't going to like that, at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have quotes for that? Curious who said that and how long ago.
I have no intention of searching for them but if you're looking for a time frame, start during the bubble games and go forward until the Bucks actually win it. I'm pretty sure it was said by more than one poster and it was certainly said more than once.

Superbone

Reaction score
Then what's the point of being here? Posters in favor of the deal have had free rein to say what they want, why in the world shouldn't those of us that think it's the dumbest decision the Suns have ever made have a right to respond too? Especially since we're paying a price every game now for having made that trade. Frustration and disappointment are high, I'm sure if KD gets back and helps us look like a contender again, the talk will die down.

And I know complaing about it isn't going to help but it's either say my piece or kick my dog. And I'd have to buy a dog in order to kick it and my cats aren't going to like that, at all.
Keep reading. :) Did you see my "On the other hand" post?

And feel free to kick your cats. You can tell them it's from me if that helps. :billthecat:

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And people said the same thing about Giannis until he finally won one. And the legend of Mikal is quite distorted here, now it seems he's even the reason we lost to Dallas.
No one said that horse manure. How about you take your own advice and not distort others opinions to strengthen your own? Jesus.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We came a couple plays away from winning already.
A couple plays? We lost in four straight games to end that series and got through a Western Conference riddled with more injuries than I can ever remember.

And you know why we didn’t make those couple plays? Because we didn’t have the can’t be stopped superstar to make them. Booker is NOT that guy. He’s couldn’t make the biggest plays on both end of the court. He couldn’t even make the biggest plays on one end of the court.
Last year, talent was not the issue in our defeat.
You can maintaining last year and this years team had enough playmakers but it’s not going to make it right. Once we were down to one playmaker, the Mavs destroyed our offense. Plain and simple.
I think patience and some shrewd tinkering was more likely to yield the reward.
Agree to disagree. Teams don’t win titles without unicorn superstars leading them to one unless you’re the 2004 pistons… the exception to the rule in the last 30 years.
But... maybe we will be the 2019 Raptors.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Over our 55 year period??!? We have tried that lots of times. The only trade close to this is Barkley. We have tried this over and over and over.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no intention of searching for them but if you're looking for a time frame, start during the bubble games and go forward until the Bucks actually win it. I'm pretty sure it was said by more than one poster and it was certainly said more than once.
You make the claim but aren’t prepared to back it up? Ok, not sure you’re going to convince anyone like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make the claim but aren’t prepared to back it up? Ok, not sure you’re going to convince anyone like that.
Well, I did direct you to the board where it's posted.:) Honestly I'm surprised no one has supported my comment because it was said several times and in different ways; that Giannis is not a number 1 on a championship team or that Giannis will never lead his team to a championship and so on.

It stands out to me because on at least one occasion, I pushed back on the point. I don't have the time to search for it right now but if no one else supports my comment in the next few days I'll search for evidence when I have the chance. But between college basketball, the Suns and watching at least one movie with my wife every night, it won't be right away.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, I did direct you to the board where it's posted.:) Honestly I'm surprised no one has supported my comment because it was said several times and in different ways; that Giannis is not a number 1 on a championship team or that Giannis will never lead his team to a championship and so on.

It stands out to me because on at least one occasion, I pushed back on the point. I don't have the time to search for it right now but if no one else supports my comment in the next few days I'll search for evidence when I have the chance. But between college basketball, the Suns and watching at least one movie with my wife every night, it won't be right away.
Yeah I don’t remember that at all, mainly because I myself wouldn’t think that. If anything, back then it would be because I just didn’t know much about Giannis at that time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the starters.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t remember that at all, mainly because I myself wouldn’t think that. If anything, back then it would be because I just didn’t know much about Giannis at that time.
They were a dominant team a couple years in a row and were a popular pick to win it all. And people often overreact when you come up short a couple of times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose