Zach Allen Signs with Denver

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Its about the cap hit.
Cap is irrelevant. Name one time an important player that a team WANTED to keep that they let go because of the cap. The cap is used as an excuse when teams don't want to pay a player. Hell, the Browns just freed up 30+ million is cap space be re-structuring Watson. If the Cards can't pay 10 mill/year for a homegrown, starting, on the rise DE, then they should probably just disband as an organization.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keeping Allen isn't improving the roster, it's being ok with status quo.

If Monti is tearing it down, we should be happy, because it means he's fully in control and not 'We're not as bad off as you think' Mike B.
Losing Allen makes us worse and adds another assignment to the rebuild. He was not part of the problem. Build around the pieces that are working.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

"Get this kid a coach, who will actually keep him in a single position and he will excel."

Ron out here making all of the excuses to pay Simmons despite being a liability because of Vance, but doesn't want to pay the more productive Zach Allen who was drafted two rounds later, and was actually productive under the same defensive coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok so we are getting a great 28 year old?The Cardinals failed to sign Allen or Murphy a year ago. Also failed to identify they would get better.

My point is, what does it matter? What does it matter if you're signing a 28 year old or 26 year old? Or even a 30 year old.

Are they good? Do they have an injury history? Do they fit the scheme?

That's all I'm concerned about. If you can get that in a 26 year old then great. But I don't understand how it factors in over a number of other more important things.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

"Get this kid a coach, who will actually keep him in a single position and he will excel."

Ron out here making all of the excuses to pay Simmons despite being a liability because of Vance, but doesn't want to pay the more productive Zach Allen who was drafted two rounds later, and was actually productive under the same defensive coach.
I will say that the athletic ceiling for Simmons is way higher than Allen.

Allen is who he is...a good lunch pail guy. They should have extended him last year, if the plan was to keep him long-term. I'm not sweating letting him go this year...but that's just me.

I'm going to give Monti a chance, just like I did for Keim, after the snail was fired. Keim went through a lot of roster turnover in the beginning, too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Haha...Chop disagrees with the facts about Allen on games played?
So, when Jalen Thompson signs an extension that makes him the 12th highest paid S after playing 72.5% of his career games...you post a funny meme about it starting to come together. But, when Zach Allen plays 68.1% of his career games and signs a contract that makes him approx the 25th highest paid DE/DT, it was smart to let him go.

At least I am consistent and understand positional value.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will say that the athletic ceiling for Simmons is way higher than Allen.

Allen is who he is...a good lunch pail guy. They should have extended him last year, if the plan was to keep him long-term. I'm not sweating letting him go this year...but that's just me.

I'm going to give Monti a chance, just like I did for Keim, after the snail was fired. Keim went through a lot of roster turnover in the beginning, too.
Did you really just use Keim's plan as an excuse for Monti to use the same plan?

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
So, when Jalen Thompson signs an extension that makes him the 12th highest paid S after playing 72.5% of his career games...you post a funny meme about it starting to come together. But, when Zach Allen plays 68.1% of his career games and signs a contract that makes him approx the 25th highest paid DE/DT, it was smart to let him go.

At least I am consistent and understand positional value.
The contribution on the field between Thompson and Allen isn't comparable. Jalen, IMO, has been much better at his job than Allen has. Is that consistent enough for you? There is zero flash in Allen's game. He's a good guy and a decent player, but, again IMO, his game is maxed out...he is what he is. I do not think for a minute he's going to go to Denver and light the world on fire.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Did you really just use Keim's plan as an excuse for Monti to use the same plan?
No, just adding some context to the situation. I'm sure we can go back to the 2013 off-season and find similar threads about similar players to Allen and Murphy, who were let go...but it all worked out. I'm losing zero sleep over Allen and Murphy. Would have been nice to keep them, but.....they gone.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The contribution on the field between Thompson and Allen isn't comparable. Jalen, IMO, has been much better at his job than Allen has. Is that consistent enough for you? There is zero flash in Allen's game. He's a good guy and a decent player, but, again IMO, his game is maxed out...he is what he is. I do not think for a minute he's going to go to Denver and light the world on fire.
Jalen Thompson was 68th is passes defensed and 115th in interceptions.

Zach Allen was 64th is sacks and 33rd is defensive pressures.

Zach Allen was more productive at his position and it isn't even close.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Jalen Thompson was 68th is passes defensed and 115th in interceptions.

Zach Allen was 64th is sacks and 33rd is defensive pressures.

Zach Allen was more productive at his position and it isn't even close.
We obviously don't see eye to eye and it's okay.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Perfectly legitimate and not at all unreasonable to consider a DE in a 3-4 with no more than 5.5 in a season not to be worth $15.25m a year to this roster in the situation it's in.

This was not a must do deal at that price.
So during a season when you insisted we played mostly 4-3 he’s now a DE in a 3-4.

Our best defensive lineman is currently… Leki Fotu? Lord help us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So during a season when you insisted we played mostly 4-3 he’s now a DE in a 3-4.

Our best defensive lineman is currently… Leki Fotu? Lord help us.

Correct.

Obviously he's always played more snaps in a 4-3 because we're only ever in a 3 man front 33% of the time. Yet he's been listed as a DE most of his career.

Still, weird thing to latch on to.

Seahawks just cut a 29 year old DT with almost identical stats to Zach Allen last year, and that was his best year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If we don't re-sign Byron Murphy our only player left from the ELEVEN selections in the 2019 draft will be Kyler Murray, I guess Dogbe too but he is a free agent and nothing more than a camp body. That isn't how you build a successful team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If we don't re-sign Byron Murphy our only player left from the ELEVEN selections in the 2019 draft will be Kyler Murray, I guess Dogbe too but he is a free agent and nothing more than a camp body. That isn't how you build a successful team.
You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Kyler leaves a lot to be desired at this point.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When a player leaves suddenly become all pro
Jalen Thompson is one of the best safety in the nfl
Obviously with a defensive line not able to put adequate pressures he was a lot exposed last season
Allen is good but there are many ahead of him at his position
Stats and following rankings are unfair many times judging a player, many variables

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully the GM responsible for that is gone!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson