ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson
Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Jamar Chase
D. Hop

I take D. Hop over everyone else you listed. He's always open and his catch radius is enormous.
Cupp and Adams are easily better/younger at this point.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Over kupp and adams?!?
Kupp's 2021 season is stuff of legends but I guess I'd like to see him have one more season with over 1200 yards. Just a little more consistency.

Adams is awesome. I just really value Hopkins hands and catch radius. So many times I've watched Kyler make a stupid throw into double coverage, but it didn't matter because Hopkins was there.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The Niners should trade for him, then we could still see him beat the hell out of us once a year in our own stadium. Seriously though, he would help them to a super bowl.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think Dhop has at least a good couple/few years left IN HIS PRIME and can still lead the NFL if put in the right environment and if he doesn't do anything stupid again. I think a very late first round pick from a team with super bowl possibilities isn't out of the question as he is a difference maker

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They traded a 2nd for 30 year old Mohamed Sanu. They traded last year for 29 year old Devante Parker.

Sanu was a trade deadline trade for a guy they paid $6 million on a 12-4 team making a run. The trade ended up being horrible and not the same as an off season trade for a #1 WR making $20 million and one failed test from a year long suspension. If anything, the Sanu trade will make them think twice.

Parker also made $6 million a year and was 28 at the time of the trade, and it was Parker and a 5th for a 3rd.

Hopkins at $20 million and $15 million the next two years, plus an extension for a guy that will be 33 when the extension kicks in are the situations the Pat's avoid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sanu was a trade deadline trade for a guy they paid $6 million on a 12-4 team making a run. The trade ended up being horrible and not the same as an off season trade for a #1 WR making $20 million and one failed test from a year long suspension. If anything, the Sanu trade will make them think twice.

Parker also made $6 million a year and was 28 at the time of the trade, and it was Parker and a 5th for a 3rd.

Hopkins at $20 million and $15 million the next two years, plus an extension for a guy that will be 33 when the extension kicks in are the situations the Pat's avoid.

His average pay the next 2 years makes him WR22 on the table. That's cheap for a WR of his talent.

I'm just not getting this "They don't trade for older guys" thing with the Pats. They traded for Jason McCourty at 31, they traded for the drug addled remains of Josh Gordon, they traded for 34 year old Michael Bennett, they traded for 29 year old Martellus Bennett, traded for Albert Haynesworth at 30. Lots of these guys they got barely a year out of. Plus the aforementioned Sanu and Parker.

The compensation doesn't really matter, although they showed with Sanu they are willing to trade high picks for older players. But they are certainly willing to trade for older players. Maybe more so than most teams.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This needs to happen for several reasons:

1) Free up cap space

2) DHops age and the Cardinals need to get younger as the Cardinals clearly are in a rebuild

3) Culture Change - Last thing a brand new HC needs when trying to change the culture is a star player who refuses to practice.

4) Do it while DHop still has value

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This needs to happen for several reasons:

1) Free up cap space

2) DHops age and the Cardinals need to get younger as the Cardinals clearly are in a rebuild

3) Culture Change - Last thing a brand new HC needs when trying to change the culture is a star player who refuses to practice.

4) Do it while DHop still has value

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In what world and todays NFL is D-Hop a top 5?

Justin Jefferson
Jamar Chase
Tyreek Hill
Davonte Adams
Cooper Kupp
Stefon Diggs
AJ Brown
Mike Evans

Maybe even:

Ceedee Lamb
Chris Godwin

Yep, its a young man's game, but I would put it more like:

Justin Jefferson
Jamar Chase
AJ Brown
Tyreek Hill
Stefon Diggs
Jaylen Waddle
Ceedee Lamb
Devonte Adams
Tee Higgins
Cooper Kupp
Amon-Ra St Brown
DHop

Plus with all the great rookie WRs that came out last year as time goes on he will only drop further down the list.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I love Hopkins and having him on the Cards. But the team went 2-4 without him in games 1-6, and 2-4 with Hopkins & without Brown in games 7-12 before Murray got hurt. :shrug:
Fun stat! I notice you didn't mention anything about our performance in 2022 without Hop. Maybe you forgot?

Here's some snippets:

"The Cardinals put up 30.2 points per game when Hopkins played last season, propelled by a blazing start in which they scored 31 or more points in each of the first four weeks.

Without him, their average dropped 10.45 points to 19.75."

"Murray’s quarterback rating with Hopkins available was 106 last year, on pace for third-best in the NFL behind Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers and Joe Burrow of the Cincinnati Bengals.

That number dropped to 80.26 in the final five games without Hopkins."

"The passing touchdowns per attempt dropped from 5.9% with Hopkins to 2.4% without him in December and January. That struggle continued in the red zone, as Kingsbury said. With Hopkins, Arizona's red zone touchdown rate was 65.9%. Without him it dropped to 35.7%.

Murray's completion percentage was 71.6% with Hopkins and 63.1% without him. Arizona averaged 1.9 passing touchdowns per game with Hopkins and one without him.

And having Hopkins on the field dictated how defenses played the Cardinals. Murray was blitzed an average of three more times per game without Hopkins in December and January."

People keep talking about helping Murray, yet they want to discard the one player who has made an obvious and tangible difference in his career.

I'd love to see the comparison of rebuild vs. tear down and start over in the NFL. We've seen how quickly bad teams can turn it around - why are so many around here positive we have to tear down to the studs?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fun stat! I notice you didn't mention anything about our performance in 2022 without Hop. Maybe you forgot?

Here's some snippets:

"The Cardinals put up 30.2 points per game when Hopkins played last season, propelled by a blazing start in which they scored 31 or more points in each of the first four weeks.

Without him, their average dropped 10.45 points to 19.75."

"Murray’s quarterback rating with Hopkins available was 106 last year, on pace for third-best in the NFL behind Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers and Joe Burrow of the Cincinnati Bengals.

That number dropped to 80.26 in the final five games without Hopkins."

"The passing touchdowns per attempt dropped from 5.9% with Hopkins to 2.4% without him in December and January. That struggle continued in the red zone, as Kingsbury said. With Hopkins, Arizona's red zone touchdown rate was 65.9%. Without him it dropped to 35.7%.

Murray's completion percentage was 71.6% with Hopkins and 63.1% without him. Arizona averaged 1.9 passing touchdowns per game with Hopkins and one without him.

And having Hopkins on the field dictated how defenses played the Cardinals. Murray was blitzed an average of three more times per game without Hopkins in December and January."

People keep talking about helping Murray, yet they want to discard the one player who has made an obvious and tangible difference in his career.

I'd love to see the comparison of rebuild vs. tear down and start over in the NFL. We've seen how quickly bad teams can turn it around - why are so many around here positive we have to tear down to the studs?
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I think when you see trade speculation like this it's likely the player wants to be moved.

I'd rather move on if that is the case.

One of the mystifying aspect of the Kingsbury era was the teams insistence that the team needed like 6 good receiving options to be good on offense. Quite a few NFL offenses really only have 3-4 credible receiving options.

IF the Cardinals move on from Hopkins, I do think the team needs to take a crack at receiver in the draft. Look for someone like Rashee Rice or Jaylin Hyatt.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I think when you see trade speculation like this it's likely the player wants to be moved.

I'd rather move on if that is the case.

One of the mystifying aspect of the Kingsbury era was the teams insistence that the team needed like 6 good receiving options to be good on offense. Quite a few NFL offenses really only have 3-4 credible receiving options.

IF the Cardinals move on from Hopkins, I do think the team needs to take a crack at receiver in the draft. Look for someone like Rashee Rice or Jaylin Hyatt.
If they move on from Hopkins, the Cards don't have that. Brown? Yes Dortch? Maybe...can he do it for an entire year and step up his game as a primary receiver? He won't be able to to be the 3rd/4th receiver, who just gets single coverage. McBride? Probably, but we'll all want to see consistency and growth in year 2. Ertz? Maybe...depends on injury. Moore? Doubtful...I really think he'll never stay healthy enough to be more than a complimentary gadget/fill-in guy. So if they trade Hop, I think they'll need to bring in a FA and probably draft one in the 3rd round.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If they move on from Hopkins, the Cards don't have that. Brown? Yes Dortch? Maybe...can he do it for an entire year and step up his game as a primary receiver? He won't be able to to be the 3rd/4th receiver, who just gets single coverage. McBride? Probably, but we'll all want to see consistency and growth in year 2. Ertz? Maybe...depends on injury. Moore? Doubtful...I really think he'll never stay healthy enough to be more than a complimentary gadget/fill-in guy. So if they trade Hop, I think they'll need to bring in a FA and probably draft one in the 3rd round.

Brown, Conner, and Ertz/McBride are a pretty depressing group of weapons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Depressingly, you're probably right. Even worse, I can't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Depressingly, you're probably right. Even worse, I can't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere.
Kyler needs to learn to do more with less also.

Brown, Moore, Conner, Ertz/McBride isn't exactly a murders row of receivers, but look what the Giants did with a worse group of receivers.

If DHop is traded, the Cardinals almost have to draft a guy. I'd also expect that the Cardinals bring in a depressed asset like Kenny Gollday or DJ Chark as well.

The 2021 Cardinals run didn't work out and the Cardinals have to retool.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

Brown is a #2 receiver at best. Dortch is a nice story, but I don't see him as a consistent NFL receiver. The Cardinals need to move on from expecting Moore to be anything other than an occasional player. Ertz is likely on his last leg, and while I'm excited about McBride, he hasn't proven to be a consistent weapon yet. Conner will make the occasional big play, but more often than not, he gets less yards than he should.

The way forward is to build the OL/DL this year and to lower expectations on offense in the short run. Clean the cap now and look for the next big time receiver next offseason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Hop dont have to be 20mil... most likely he gets a new deal instead of an extension. easy to do because he has no guarantees left..... his contract is a benefit in any trade deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard