Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lots of college experience. And didn't stick around anywhere for very long.
Has experience with a young QB who has a similar skill set to Kyler. Had to teach Hurts how to develop as a passer and reading professional defenses. Petzing oversaw Brissett who already knows how to be a pro.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is telling that no one can formulate any argument for how Petzing is qualified for this job. The only thing that is being posted is “you don’t know” and “he is Gannon’s choice” none of which are qualifications.

No. The argument for him is that he's as qualified as a dozen or so current HCs when they became OCs. This is clear as day.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But the ability to put a qualified staff together is part of what makes you a legitimate candidate. All of those names are available for the OC spot, if Gannon can’t get them it is on him.

Gannon is just going to have to live with failing to meet your expectations.

I imagine sleepless nights.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I heard he's never called plays. So far, we have nobody on staff that's ever called an offensive play? I'm sure they're bringing someone else in, right?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Has experience with a young QB who has a similar skill set to Kyler. Had to teach Hurts how to develop as a passer and reading professional defenses. Petzing oversaw Brissett who already knows how to be a pro.
Another aspect is coaches tend to hire coaches they already know. You can call it cronyism if you like, but would you stake a huge job on guys you haven't worked with before?

I'm not a Petzing fanboy or anything, but at best, and at worst, he's a relative unknown at this point. But that doesn't mean he sucks. If you believe in Gannon, you should believe in his evaluation of other coaches. I'm Missouri right now.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I frankly do not know much about any of these hires and have no idea how they will work out, but to be honest the only thing I think of when I hear this guy's name is Pez candy
You must be registered for see images attach

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

So it seems experience is your main concern when hiring personnel. Would you take Keim and his 20 odd years experience at GM or the rookie Monti?

At some point people get promoted and show they either can do the job or not. Experience is only a small part of it for me, your ability to learn and apply the experience you have is key.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You go out of the box and succeed, you're a genius! If it doesn't work, not so great.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on here…
I stated that Petzing was not qualified for the position of OC.

Other disagreed.

I asked what makes him a qualified candidate.

I was asked for names of qualified candidates.

I have provided names.

Still waiting on how he is qualified.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Other disagreed.

I have provided names.

Still waiting on how he's less qualified that all the guys I've mentioned when they became OC

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are correct that the guy with all that experience failed. I get that no one knows what the hell Penzing is but it is for a reason. What are the actual chances that he is some secret offensive wunderkind with a background of not playing college football, without ever calling plays, and with 4 years total position coach experience split between three different positions?
He doesn’t seem to be a secret in professional football circles, just average fan circles. And that makes sense given he hasn’t been coaching a long time or for a high profile team.

Also all new play callers have to be new to it at some point. There was time when Andy Reid hadn’t called plays too. I mean unless we were going for a retread the dude was either going to be calling plays for the first time, or for the first time at the pro level (which I’d prefer over a guy who called plays at the college level which is a different beast).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Other disagreed.

I have provided names.

He's qualified by virtue of the indisputable fact that Gannon who has much riding on his evaluation believes he can answer the call.

End of F-------g story.

You've received a dozen and one answers.

Move on legend in your own mind.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's qualified by virtue of the indisputable fact that Gannon who has much riding on his evaluation believes he can answer the call.

End of F-------g story.

Totally uncalled for using swear words to respond :thumbdown

You're better than that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

End of F-------g story.

Ah, so should we just shut down the board because whatever decisions are ever made by the Cardinals are backed by the indisputable fact that ALL of these new guys in the FO and Staff has much riding on their evaluations?

You could have and probably did claim that KK and Kyler deserved their contract extensions because of the indisputable fact that Keim had so much riding on it. Saw how that decision played out with KK and Kyler was a disaster last year.

So, unless you’re calling for the board to shut down because no one can dispute the “indisputable” facts that the Cardinals are always making the right decision maybe you pocket that “end of f——-g story” crap.

You’re not the keeper of the board, Chopper’s free to say whatever he wants. He’s not even throwing around insults around at other posters (like you did in the above) so telling him to shut up while breaking board rules yourself is laughable. I mean… you’re consistently wrong about… pretty much everything but no one’s telling you to shut up.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, so should we just shut down the board because whatever decisions are ever made by the Cardinals are backed by the indisputable fact that ALL of these new guys in the FO and Staff has much riding on their evaluations?

You could have and probably did claim that KK and Kyler deserved their contract extensions because of the indisputable fact that Keim had so much riding on it. Saw how that decision played out with KK and Kyler was a disaster last year.

So, unless you’re calling for the board to shut down because no one can dispute the “indisputable” facts that the Cardinals are always making the right decision maybe you pocket that “end of f——-g story” crap.

You’re not the keeper of the board, and telling Chopper to shut up is laughable. I mean… you’re consistently wrong about… pretty much everything but no one’s telling you to shut up.

It could stop making crap up. That would be a start.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I admit to being in the dark about Petzing. The thing that gives some hope is that JG knows him and has worked with him. This makes the QB coach a critical hire.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson