Your reaction to the Jonathan Gannon hire?

Reaction to Gannon hire?

• Total voters

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
No set plan again, adapt to your talent. With more then half the team not under contract new GM will have a huge influence. As well he should.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dont know why anyone would be excited about this. It doesnt mean he wont be good but what evidence is there that he is? He had a good defense for a year full of great players? Thats far from being enough of what it takes to be a good head coach so ill be dissapointed and hope he proves me wrong.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I recently saw a mock draft that had Carter and Anderson go #1 and #2 respectively. That scares me.
So we trade with the Colts and drop on spot then trade with Raiders or Panthers and drop a few more spots while gaining multiple high picks!

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he has a good staff, I'd like the choice more. :shrug: His lack of adjustments and ability to have a good defense without lots of talent like in Philly would still be concerns for me.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hopeful because honestly, that's all I can do. This past season and offseason has been a throw my arms up in disgust feeling. As a fan, my choice is to be hopeful, root for another team and give up watching football all together. I'm sure there are more choices but that's just how I feel!

Does give me caution that they had to hire Fangio as a consultant for the super bowl. I'm also hopeful that that act alone created some uncertainty during half time which could be one of the reasons KC ran all over them. What would have happened if they just let Gannon's defense play out instead of bringing in outside help?
Fangio actually spent his consulting time helping the Eagles out with their offense. He was self scouting the offense, I'm guessing to fix any tendencies that could be exploited, and breaking down the Chief's defense.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will stick with my prediction.

You must be registered for see images attach

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The Cardinal calendar consists of 4 seasons: Excitement, Hope, Disappointment, and Disgust.

Spring time (Draft time), for Cardinal fans is our Excitement season, our best time of year. We've had time to put another bad season behind us, and have several months to enjoy riding that Excitement into the next season, which is Hope.

Summer time is our Hopeful season. As this season draws closer and closer, Cardinal fans get to enjoy the hopefulness that every coming new NFL season brings, along with dreams of playoffs and championships.

However as Cardinal fans know, Hope always precedes the season of Disappointment. Like the green summer leaves turn to colors of fall, so do Cardinal seasons of Hope turn to Disappointment. Yes, that familiar feeling of disappointment creeps back in, as quickly as the Cards begin losing games they should have and could have won, and so early in the season.

Then woe, before Cards fans know it, they are back in the cold of winter and the Season of Disgust, as losses pile up as quickly as flakes in a winter snow storm. Another long winter, where Disgust clouds all sense of reason, and Cardinal fans threaten, as they seem to every year, to cancel their season tickets and find another team to root for.

Sleep, we better get some sleep! For I heard that the excitement of Spring and the draft is right around the corner.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually wonder with Fangio & Bowles’ recently fizzling out as older HCs with defensive backgrounds had to do with Lou only getting interviewed by 1 team as HC.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's tough to get too excited about a guy I knew very little about until a week ago.

Also, my preference was an experienced HC with an offensive background. Gannon is the opposite. My hope is that he is a true culture changer, but my fear is that he is another Staley or McDaniels. So it's a meh for me right now, while doing my best to keep an open mind.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont know why anyone would be excited about this. It doesnt mean he wont be good but what evidence is there that he is? He had a good defense for a year full of great players? Thats far from being enough of what it takes to be a good head coach so ill be dissapointed and hope he proves me wrong.
Must have been a reason (the interview, opinions of others) why he was selected to be a DC and a HC. As a young man, relatively speaking, he must have done SOMETHING to become a HC. And if your answer was he was GIVEN a lot of VG players then I would say, well he didn't screw it up.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
It's tough to get too excited about a guy I knew very little about until a week ago.

Also, my preference was an experienced HC with an offensive background. Gannon is the opposite. My hope is that he is a true culture changer, but my fear is that he is another Staley or McDaniels. So it's a meh for me right now, while doing my best to keep an open mind.

Same here..... the need is to get Murray under control and be a 'team' leader.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I recently saw a mock draft that had Carter and Anderson go #1 and #2 respectively. That scares me.
Don’t worry about that. The Bears might stick and take one, though I totally discount that idea. The Texas guys will definitely take a QB. Settling for a vet, like Carr, mskes no sense. They need that rookie QB contract so they free enough cap space to attack their many needs.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I don’t like this hire. Really disappointed that we selected a guy with limited experience and who has not shown the ability to adjust in-game. Sound familiar??? I’m just turned off by this organization nowadays. I hope I’m wrong, but I see more suckage ahead.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I‘m disappointed. I had hoped for a proven history of success. My Philly folks were divided, primarily on the transition to HC with limited experience as a DC. They also said they felt his defense feasted on weak teams, but had a tough time with strong offenses. I will say if I were picking someone with experience on one side of the ball, I think the defensive side has more historical success. I think it‘s easier to win with a great defense, but just a couple of playmakers on offense, like the Ravens. It may not be as much fun to watch. I’m also not being overly negative about the Super Bowl, but it does worry me some there seemed to be limited half time adjustments. I know the Eagles were ahead, but I think there were obvious issues, like motion. Seems to me the Cards just experienced years of poor halftime adjustments.

If he doesn‘t pick a great OC, I believe it will be years before the Cards are threatening. His defensive experience indicates he likes ballhawks, which I think is critical for the Cards. On offense, they need someone who can at least motivate Murray. Certainly the draft & FAs must fix the O-line.

I’m not confident Gannon will fail. I just think there were much safer options. I’m hoping he turns out to be great, but I think it will be a slow process at best.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
What up Cards fans?!? Love this board and discussion. Some of y’all may have seen some of my posts in Suns threads.

I’m a Bengals fan but as someone who watches a lot of Philly, I’m meh on this hire. Ignore the SB for a second, the Eagles had a ridiculously easy schedule this year.

The games they lost in the regular season, they struggled to stop the run (Washington/New Orleans) or giving up big plays (Dallas). Gannon’s scheme relies on the front 4 getting home but Philly was mediocre against the run (24th YPC).

They just got up on teams that if you couldn’t stay close to Philly, you couldn’t run the ball. In the SB, the Chiefs won the line of scrimmage and averaged 6 yards a carry and Mahomes had one incompletion after the half.

Now I hope he does well. I really do. I really enjoy the message board Red Sea nation. But, you just saw his lack of ability to make in-game adjustments. I hope he learns from the SB and can right the ship for AZ.

Going to be up to his DC to make adjustments? Correct? Gannon is now the CEO of the team.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Going to be up to his DC to make adjustments? Correct? Gannon is now the CEO of the team.
Honestly, it depends on who he hires as a coordinator but with him being focused on the defensive side of the ball, I’m sure he’s going to have a say in the overall strategy/tactics/adjustments that the DC has. He might even want to call plays, who knows how he’ll delegate.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with philosophical changes at the moment until we get to camp.

Both Monti and Gannon come from teams with a history of playing rookies. No matter what round or UDFA. The Cards have had this weird reticense to play rookies baked in since Keim and BA took over. BA always had an obvious distrust of them and I wonder if that passed to Keim and on to others.

I'm more concerned with a change in ethos, culture and energy and from what I can tell all the new hires bring that.

That will do until we see more of them.