Your reaction to the Jonathan Gannon hire?

Reaction to Gannon hire?

• Total voters

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly I am excited about it. Yes the second half of the super bowl looked bad. But that was Andy Reid. Had they of won the super bowl would be saying thing?

Reading some articles about him definitely has me hopeful that he will fix at least the defensive side of the ball. As for offense... I am in the wait ans see approach on what kind of staff he can bring in.

But one thing for sure... I REALLY hope this means VJ is gone.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I wanted an experienced OC from a organization with a long track record of winning. Not sure if I got any of them. However, I will give him his shot, just like I give Kliff. A lot will depend on who he hires as OC and the rest of the assistant coaches.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Meh

I wanted Lou over him based on how his defenses played the last 2 years against the top offenses & QBs in the league.

Who’s the best HEAD COACH of the 2 going forward, only time will tell. There’s a BIG difference being a coordinator vs being in charge of leading a winning team on the field! Let us hope

Positive steps in ousting Klownsbury, MillerKeim & most likely Blowseph. Positive moves by Michael

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Knowing the QB will be broken for part or most of the season...and there are 30sih players about to be FA's...and where the rest of the roster sits...

Will you be pissed when this team is picking top 5 again in 2024?

They'll be meeting my expectations if they're picking top 5 again. This is a multi-year fix after Keim.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Judging from this board you'd think Kyler has been in Texas since before the surgery, good to see him at the facility getting the work in
The comments just a few days ago about how he's home and not in AZ and how he should be giving interviews...He very well could have been in AZ for a couple of weeks, rehabbing, just like Mike mentioned he wanted him to be doing during the "we're firing Kliff" presser. He just needs to heal his knee, heal his mind and win some football games.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to give this guy a shot and it won’t be based on wins and losses THIS YEAR. I want to see an organized sideline, 4 minute offense , 2 minute offense, utilizing time outs and overall philosophy.
The 4 and 2 minute offenses may struggle depending on the personnel we end up with.
I think the days of no huddle hurry up offense will for the most part, be gone.

There is a ways to go before we can really absorb todays hire. The coordinators will either help us accept this process or be made to believe it’s not looking good.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm somewhere between meh and hopeful. All about the staff he brings in.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What up Cards fans?!? Love this board and discussion. Some of y’all may have seen some of my posts in Suns threads.

I’m a Bengals fan but as someone who watches a lot of Philly, I’m meh on this hire. Ignore the SB for a second, the Eagles had a ridiculously easy schedule this year.

The games they lost in the regular season, they struggled to stop the run (Washington/New Orleans) or giving up big plays (Dallas). Gannon’s scheme relies on the front 4 getting home but Philly was mediocre against the run (24th YPC).

They just got up on teams that if you couldn’t stay close to Philly, you couldn’t run the ball. In the SB, the Chiefs won the line of scrimmage and averaged 6 yards a carry and Mahomes had one incompletion after the half.

Now I hope he does well. I really do. I really enjoy the message board Red Sea nation. But, you just saw his lack of ability to make in-game adjustments. I hope he learns from the SB and can right the ship for AZ.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not excited. Was hoping for Lou A. after witnessing his excellent in-game adjustments. And after seeing the second half of the SB, I’d prefer Eric Bieniemy. He adjusted, Gannon did not.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's young so if he's good we can keep him for a long time. But I really hope he's not the mastermind behind our defense. In his two years with the Eagles the defense looked awful against top Quarterbacks in the league. In fact it is his defense that make some people think Prescot is a top quarterback. Dak put up 40+ points on Gannon's defense in 3/4 meetings.

The only time held a great quarterback under 30 points is holding Justin Herbert to 27 in a losing effort. After that the most impressive defensive efforts are holding Daniel Jones and Kirk Cousins to 7 points.

I'm not great at analyzing scheme, but it kinda looks like his defense is Vance Joseph's soft zone without the creative blitz packages. Gannon better bring Jordan Davis, Fletcher Cox, Hargrave and Sweat with him if he wants that to work here.

Hopefully Gannon isn't married to the scheme he ran with the Eagles and can run a good practice/properly motivate the players. But my thoughts are I think he is the probably my least favorite coach of anyone we interviewed and that includes the option of just keeping Kliff.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's young so if he's good we can keep him for a long time. But I really hope he's not the mastermind behind our defense. In his two years with the Eagles the defense looked awful against top Quarterbacks in the league. In fact it is his defense that make some people think Prescot is a top quarterback. Dak put up 40+ points on Gannon's defense in 3/4 meetings.

The only time held a great quarterback under 30 points is holding Justin Herbert to 27 in a losing effort. After that the most impressive defensive efforts are holding Daniel Jones and Kirk Cousins to 7 points.

I'm not great at analyzing scheme, but it kinda looks like his defense is Vance Joseph's soft zone without the creative blitz packages. Gannon better bring Jordan Davis, Fletcher Cox, Hargrave and Sweat with him if he wants that to work here.

Hopefully Gannon isn't married to the scheme he ran with the Eagles and can run a good practice/properly motivate the players. But my thoughts are I think he is the probably my least favorite coach of anyone we interviewed and that includes the option of just keeping Kliff.

Well, those two are Free Agents.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude is a meh hire...how could he not be?

Nonetheless, this franchise has to ALWAYS prove it before they are granted any leeway IMHO. Put up wins and you shut up the naysayers. Simple.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Need to see his staff but we can only hope his charisma that won over M&M translates to the players. I’m more interested in how Monti builds the roster with some cap space and 5 picks in the top-105 including #3 overall.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If it wasn't Payton, the emphasis on "who" went way down for me... As, I don't believe any of the other potentials possess the ability to lead and develop Kyler, as much as Payton did.
So... in the end, the only thing that matters are the results. Merely getting to the post season isn't enough. I mean, Kliffy did that. When you've committed nearly 1/4 BILLION DOLLARS to your QB, the standard for success has to be repeated trips to the post season, with multiple post season wins and a few trips to the Super Bowl sprinkled in.
Anything "short" of that is a failure as far as I'm concerned.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopeful because honestly, that's all I can do. This past season and offseason has been a throw my arms up in disgust feeling. As a fan, my choice is to be hopeful, root for another team and give up watching football all together. I'm sure there are more choices but that's just how I feel!

Does give me caution that they had to hire Fangio as a consultant for the super bowl. I'm also hopeful that that act alone created some uncertainty during half time which could be one of the reasons KC ran all over them. What would have happened if they just let Gannon's defense play out instead of bringing in outside help?