The 2023 trade deadline rumors thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Payton II failed his physical, trade might fall apart. They are not allowed to alter it.

Can't they waive it or disregard the results? Wouldn't be shocked if GS didn't care or knew there might be an issue. Physicals have been waived plenty before to push deals through.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't they waive it or disregard the results? Wouldn't be shocked if GS didn't care or knew there might be an issue. Physicals have been waived plenty before to push deals through.

Yeah, they can accept the deal as is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Payton II failed his physical, trade might fall apart. They are not allowed to alter it.

just posted this elsewhere. Crap. Sounds like he could have to miss up to 3 months the core injury he just came back from may have been reinjured.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they can accept the deal as is.

I hope they do but if he has to miss 3 months it means he wouldn't be able to play until deep into the playoffs, which they likely won't make that deep without him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope they do but if he has to miss 3 months it means he wouldn't be able to play until deep into the playoffs, which they likely won't make that deep without him.

I believe I heard the trade saves them something like 100 mil in luxury payments over the next 2 years... they'll probably stick with the trade as is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I heard the trade saves them something like 100 mil in luxury payments over the next 2 years... they'll probably stick with the trade as is.

131 is apparently the max they can save with it but I don't think that took into account GP2's contract.

I just read that the Blazers are disputing the report, he passed their physicals multiple times, was cleared to play and had been playing. Supposedly Warriors have until Sunday to either go ahead, or void deal. AS you said no changes allowed since deadline has passed.

I think they'll keep it because they can't possibly void it and expect Wiseman to come back and happily sit on the bench.

I guess we'll see but the way Kerr dodged the question implies he was told Payton failed the physical

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
131 is apparently the max they can save with it but I don't think that took into account GP2's contract.

I just read that the Blazers are disputing the report, he passed their physicals multiple times, was cleared to play and had been playing. Supposedly Warriors have until Sunday to either go ahead, or void deal. AS you said no changes allowed since deadline has passed.

I think they'll keep it because they can't possibly void it and expect Wiseman to come back and happily sit on the bench.

I guess we'll see but the way Kerr dodged the question implies he was told Payton failed the physical
I believe that 131 you are referring to is what they would have saved over the next 2 years if they traded Wiseman without taking any salary back and would have saved ~$57mil this year. Taking GP2 back they only save ~$5.5mil this year I believe and ~$25mil over the next 2 years. It's a really rough spot for GSW because if they don't except the trade they still end up on the hook for all that money for a guy they just tried to get rid of, or they are still effectively having to pay $52mil for a guy that may not play for them this year.

Really shady stuff from Portland. First having him play through something another team feels needs several weeks of recovery, then trading him without disclosing it to the new team.

I'll be curious to see if the league looks into this or maybe provides some special accommodation for GSW to not have GP2 salary count toward the tax. Not sure if anyone remember but when Jeff Green was traded to the Celtics for Perkins they found Green had a heart condition that was not disclosed. The league investigated it and even though the determined OKC management did not know of the issue and weren't dealing in bad faith, the team cardiologist did know of the issue and didn't report it. The league ended up giving Boston OKC's 2nd round pick. This situation seems more egregious since I can't see how team officials can claim ignorance if they were shooting him up just to get on the court.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently the savings for having GP2 instead of Wiseman is closer $40mil because next year they will be paying closer to $7 per tax dollar. Regardless I'm sure they would rather have dumped Wiseman without including Portland and just getting the savings if they knew the extent of Payton's injury.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that 131 you are referring to is what they would have saved over the next 2 years if they traded Wiseman without taking any salary back and would have saved ~$57mil this year. Taking GP2 back they only save ~$5.5mil this year I believe and ~$25mil over the next 2 years. It's a really rough spot for GSW because if they don't except the trade they still end up on the hook for all that money for a guy they just tried to get rid of, or they are still effectively having to pay $52mil for a guy that may not play for them this year.

Really shady stuff from Portland. First having him play through something another team feels needs several weeks of recovery, then trading him without disclosing it to the new team.

I'll be curious to see if the league looks into this or maybe provides some special accommodation for GSW to not have GP2 salary count toward the tax. Not sure if anyone remember but when Jeff Green was traded to the Celtics for Perkins they found Green had a heart condition that was not disclosed. The league investigated it and even though the determined OKC management did not know of the issue and weren't dealing in bad faith, the team cardiologist did know of the issue and didn't report it. The league ended up giving Boston OKC's 2nd round pick. This situation seems more egregious since I can't see how team officials can claim ignorance if they were shooting him up just to get on the court.

Yeah I just came here to say i read a story just now that says the Blazers didn't disclose to the Warriors that payton was getting Toradol shots to play and "playing through" the pain. The Warriors trainer said they do NOT think he should be playing with the injury and it might take 3 months to be cleared to play. Portland apparently just shot him up.

Payton was said to be "bouncing around the weight room thrilled to be out of Portland." The claim is within a month of him getting to Portland he realized he'd made a huge mistake but was stuck. Portland apparently is NOT player friendly at all, and GP2 realized pretty quickly he hated it there even while he was out having had surgery.

So I'm guessing they will keep him but the story said they're furious with Portland and looking into if there's anything they can do with the league to report what Portland did.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I just came here to say i read a story just now that says the Blazers didn't disclose to the Warriors that payton was getting Toradol shots to play and "playing through" the pain. The Warriors trainer said they do NOT think he should be playing with the injury and it might take 3 months to be cleared to play. Portland apparently just shot him up.

Payton was said to be "bouncing around the weight room thrilled to be out of Portland." The claim is within a month of him getting to Portland he realized he'd made a huge mistake but was stuck. Portland apparently is NOT player friendly at all, and GP2 realized pretty quickly he hated it there even while he was out having had surgery.

So I'm guessing they will keep him but the story said they're furious with Portland and looking into if there's anything they can do with the league to report what Portland did.

I'd like to see the league come down on them just based on how much I loathe people who deal in bad faith. I also think the league needs to think about some medical oversight of teams. It's hard to imagine how one team can think it's ok to play someone by shooting them up with pain killer while another thinks that player needs 2-3 months of recovery, especially when one of those teams has the Blazers history.

It is my understanding the most teams in the NBA don't even use Toradol and it was more of a NFL/NHL thing, and even they are trying to limit use of it now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland has a history of mistreating players medical issues. Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, and even Damien Lillard. So I'm not taking their side but doesn't Golden State also have a questionable medical staff? They let KD tear his Achilles and then Klay as well. I remember some questionable decisions regarding KD especially.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Portland has a history of mistreating players medical issues. Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, and even Damien Lillard. So I'm not taking their side but doesn't Golden State also have a questionable medical staff? They let KD tear his Achilles and then Klay as well. I remember some questionable decisions regarding KD especially.

You can go back even further with the Blazers to Bill Walton who forced his way out after believing he was misled about his injury and the pain killers he was getting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder if the Warriors might be seeking some compensation from the Trail Blazers, so long as it doesn't negate the trade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KD I agree with, Klay got hurt in a pickup game with NBA players in LA so kind of hard to blame that on the Warriors. At least the achilles that's how it happened