The Durant Sweepstakes

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
These picks better NOT be in the top 3, or **** really imploded! They will be late first rounders. Just with KD and Booker playing together, two Olympians who already played together if you remember, these picks do not need protection.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't either. I just can't fathom why we'd make all those picks unprotected. Okay, so we're taking the gamble that KD will stay healthy enough to make a difference. I think that's a huge risk but at least it's understandable. But to then include 4 picks without even top 3 protection? To me that's almost like cutting yourself before jumping overboard into shark infested waters.
Not really. Most of those picks have no shot of being top 3 picks unless the Book goes down for a significant amount of time. Ishbia seems like the type of owner that will make moves before letting that happen.

Not worried about any of these picks being top 3.

Jakester

Rookie
Reaction score
Unbelievable trade and love that the Suns are shooting their shot for once after having never won a title in 53 years and blowing numerous title windows with inactivity. Durant is a game changer and could be the final piece that finally brings this franchise a championship.

Love Bridges but he wasn't going to carry this team to a title and Cam probably was going to be overpaid or not even re-signed in the off-season. Getting TJ Warren is nice since he can slot in as a short term replacement for Cam and the teams depth is otherwise not comprised at all. I'm sure they will be active in the buy out market and other trades in any case.

Fantastic work Matt Ishiba and James Jones!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I can't either. I just can't fathom why we'd make all those picks unprotected. Okay, so we're taking the gamble that KD will stay healthy enough to make a difference. I think that's a huge risk but at least it's understandable. But to then include 4 picks without even top 3 protection? To me that's almost like cutting yourself before jumping overboard into shark infested waters.
They could only put any protection on the last 1st round due to the cba. Can't give up 1st rounders in consecutive years

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Unbelievable trade and love that the Suns are shooting their shot for once after having never won a title in 53 years and blowing numerous title windows with inactivity. Durant is a game changer and could be the final piece that finally brings this franchise a championship.

Love Bridges but he wasn't going to carry this team to a title and Cam probably was going to be overpaid or not even re-signed in the off-season. Getting TJ Warren is nice since he can slot in as a short term replacement for Cam and the teams depth is otherwise not comprised at all. I'm sure they will be active in the buy out market and other trades in any case.

Fantastic work Matt Ishiba and James Jones!
I don't think there was a realistic chance at retaining Booker, Bridges, CamJ and Ayton long term. You would have to commit to those 4 being your best 4 players. Essentially keeping the team as is and paying CamJ in the offseason takes away pretty much any chance of signing a CP replacement.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The craziest part of the trade to me, is I never thought the Nets would make this trade before the deadline. I am shocked they did it. That said, Cam Thomas makes sense for them to build around him. Now they have Cam Thomas, Bridges, and Cam J to build around. That's a good young nucleus.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These picks better NOT be in the top 3, or **** really imploded! They will be late first rounders. Just with KD and Booker playing together, two Olympians who already played together if you remember, these picks do not need protection.

When the last of these picks transfer KD will be 40 years old.

If there is a banner or 2 dangling, I will tip my hat to whoever Brooklyn drafts and wish them the best... but we're going to require some really savvy front office work to stay relevant 4+ years from now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The craziest part of the trade to me, is I never thought the Nets would make this trade before the deadline. I am shocked they did it. That said, Cam Thomas makes sense for them to build around him. Now they have Cam Thomas, Bridges, and Cam J to build around. That's a good young nucleus.
They had to. If they waited the package would have been smaller. Teams feel less pressure in the offseason compared to making trades for a playoff run.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

If there is a banner or 2 dangling, I will tip my hat to whoever Brooklyn drafts and wish them the best... but we're going to require some really savvy front office work to stay relevant 4+ years from now.
Not sure I agree. We will likely still have Booker around at that point and some decent free agent signings should have us at a minimum staying a decent team. Some of those picks may not end up at the end of the 1st round, but may be in the 16-24 range.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

4+ years is an eternity in the NBA. We have draft picks in the other years still. Plus free agency, etc.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
After how awful the Cards board has been this week thank you Mat Ishbia for providing any level of happiness for Arizona sports.

You must be registered for see images attach
That whole thing just imploded after we didn't sign Sean Payton. Now arguably whoever the Cards sign as their HC, he will be by default the worst coach in the division.