Assuming it is down to the final three (Poll)

Who do you want the Cardinals to hire?

• Mike Kafka

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Lou Anarumo

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Brian Flores

Votes: 38 36.9%

• Total voters

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm still sticking with my original thought process. Flores (or any new HC hire for that matter) shouldn't be expected to even have a .500 season in 2023, it's just not feasible

What he can do is improve/fix the defense. Discarding Vance Joseph has to be the first step in the right direction. Budda Baker isn't going to like it, from what I gather Budda was kinda basically essentially a defensive assistant coach in the Vance Joseph era, hopefully he continues that role with the new staff

If we re-sign Allen and pick up Anderson we can get to the quarterback. If we re-sign Murphy and work with our (young) secondary core - the quarterback won't have any where to throw

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If I was an incoming head coach, I would want to select my own staff rather than be handcuffed to the previous DC, especially since you'll already be handcuffed to K1.
Weird that Denver literally held Evero for Payton to interview, before releasing him, yet nobody in this board or in the media had an issue with it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He did it before with Flores in Miami, but he had health issues and basically had to quit just as they were getting started.
Yes, Caldwell has a history with Flores. Leaving him high and dry just weeks before Flores‘s first season in Miami, maybe Caldwell feels he owes Flores? Flores has been criticized for not being able to bring in an offensive staff, but that’s quite a blow to have to overcome. And he still one 9 games that year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that the Caldwell conversation got buried quick, haha.

I voted Anarumo. Flores is interesting, but is also the most terrifying candidate remaining. He'll either turn Kyler into a superhero, or break him entirely.

Kafka is a guy I actually wanted us to draft, haha. I kinda think he's the correct version of the young offensive mind that we were going for with Kliff. Unfortunately, I think he needs another two to five years to get it right. Offensive coaching trees are kinda sapped right now.

A lot of trustworthy NFL minds have Anarumo's back, and he has a ton of experience. Who doesn't love street cred? I can see the guy building a very worthy staff, and delegating his leadership in the best way.

Honestly, if it's any of these three though, I'll actually support them, unlike when we hired Kingsbury.
As far as Kyler goes, make him or break him.
I keep hearing Bidwill and MO talking about experience. Flores is the only candidate that has head coaching experience.
Camp cupcake would be over. Remember , Kyler is not the only player to “enjoy” camp cupcake. There will definite Be a cultural shock to this roster. If they can’t get on board then I suggest they apply at Jiffy Lube.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think the amount of time taken is really the issue. There is a perception of this organization within the coaching community and it is clearly a turn off to those coaches most would think is the top tier. This is true of the last for hiring cycles the Cardinals have been in.

The reasons cycle to cycle vary undoubtedly but the issues remain

The perception is so bad that every candidate we asked interviewed, most flying across the country, to spend several hours with the team for a job they have no interest in...

The perception thing is another fan invented narrative.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I keep hearing Bidwill and MO talking about experience. Flores is the only candidate that has head coaching experience.
Camp cupcake would be over. Remember , Kyler is not the only player to “enjoy” camp cupcake. There will definite Be a cultural shock to this roster. If they can’t get on board then I suggest the apply at Jiffy Lube.
I think Kyler actually wants to be pushed...it just needs to be by someone he actually respects and Kliff wasn't that guy.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
The perception is so bad that every candidate we asked interviewed, most flying across the country, to spend several hours with the team for a job they have no interest in...

The perception thing is another fan invented narrative.
Every candidate but Ryans.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, Flores had three different OCs in his three years as HC in Miami. Not sure why people suddenly thinks he has figured out a different/competent offensive plan.

Offensively Flores showed nothing in Miami to prove he has answers for the offensive side of the ball. Mishandled a top 5 QB. No stability at OC. Terrible offensive line. All his fault...maybe not but like Kliff in AZ, he shares the blame as HC.
True, but Caldwell was forced to quit on Flores due to illness just weeks before his first season. And he still won 9 games. Who knows what his offense would have looked like under Caldwell? And for how long?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, Flores had three different OCs in his three years as HC in Miami. Not sure why people suddenly thinks he has figured out a different/competent offensive plan.

Offensively Flores showed nothing in Miami to prove he has answers for the offensive side of the ball. Mishandled a top 5 QB. No stability at OC. Terrible offensive line. All his fault...maybe not but like Kliff in AZ, he shares the blame as HC.

Tua is not and was never a top 5 qb

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Camp cupcake would be over. Remember , Kyler is not the only player to “enjoy” camp cupcake. There will definite Be a cultural shock to this roster. If they can’t get on board then I suggest the apply at Jiffy Lube.
EVERYONE knows I’m a Kyler guy, but I agree 100%. Kyler doesn’t need to be pampered, nor do I believe that he wants to be pampered. This team needs a HUGE dose of toughness, especially in the NFCW. I think both Flores & Anarumo would bring that element.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There‘s actually a downside to every HC hire. No candidate is perfect. I like the leadership skills of Anarumo & the coaching experience of Flores. I’ll be ok with either of them 2. Both would make us a much tougher football team. If I had to watch one more game with the spineless combo of Kliff/VJ, my head would explode.
No doubt. I have no idea the "leadership skills" of Anarumo, maybe he's great at it. Flores has a mixed bag of accolades and detractors. Like I said it is a roll of the dice between the three, Flores, Anarumo and Kafka in that order to me.
I am with you on the Kliff/VJ clown show. I hope that VJ is NOT on the staff next season.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Give me the hard ass please. Would love for Flores to come in and announce nobody has a starting spot. That everyone will have to work and earn it. Including offense. Including Kyler Murray. What's Murray gonna do, throw a fit?? Not only can Brian Flores bench Kyler Murray lol Brian Flores can bench press Kyler Murray. Look, Kliff Kingsbury was double ply soft. Players obviously felt entitled and they felt so while the team was losing. No bueno says Jay Leno. Funk all that, let players earn their spots. Encourage the back ups to to fight for starting positions. Let nothing be given.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Kyler actually wants to be pushed...it just needs to be by someone he actually respects and Kliff wasn't that guy.
Agree 100%. People forget that Kyler’s Dad coached him harder than anyone could imagine. Kyler NEVER wanted Kliff as a coach. Not when he was in HS, College, or Pros.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why wouldn't he? It's that or sit at home.
Because he said he only wanted a HC job.

You can't argue that this may have changed and then also hold Kyler to his interview two years ago because you can't see anything has changed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How is Flores going to push Kyler? And what about Flores do you think Kyler will respect?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
EVERYONE knows I’m a Kyler guy, but I agree 100%. Kyler doesn’t need to be pampered, nor do I believe that he wants to be pampered. This team needs a HUGE dose of toughness, especially in the NFCW. I think both Flores & Anarumo would bring that element.
Do you really think Brian Flores will get Kyler to not slide short of the sticks, go into the fetal position in the pocket and stand in the pocket and take hits to deliver the ball?

Saying that is like saying Kliff told Kyler to do those things which there is no indication of. Kyler is who he is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he said he only wanted a HC job.

You can't argue that this may have changed and then also hold Kyler to his interview two years ago because you can't see anything has changed.

Of course I san argue this has changed while holding Kyler to what he said. They aren't remotely the same thing.

Caldwell was never quoted. It was a rumor based on him turning down an interview with the Commanders. And it's perfectly reasonable for him to prioritise head coaching jobs at the beginning of the hiring cycle if that is his preference.

It's also perfectly logical that now it's clear that he's not getting a HC job that his position might change. His options are now sit at home (which he has done since 2019) or take what he can.

I'm not sure how that's remotely connected to Kyler's own words that have been correberated by leaks from players saying his study has been poor. Words you yourself believe to be true.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Wonder how many red flags have to fly before they are acknowledged, eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose