Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not Chiefs or Bills but it's more Daniel Jones lol. He's just not a great QB is why. However, if Kafka can turn Jones around, enough to make the playoffs, what can he do with Kyler?

I'm not sure he turned him around. More hid his shortcomings by making him run more and throw less.

I said yesterday you can never know really if a guy is going to make a good HC or not. A lot of it is luck, some of it timing. But Kafka doesn't strike me as being a great option.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure he turned him around. More hid his shortcomings by making him run more and throw less.

I said yesterday you can never know really if a guy is going to make a good HC or not. A lot of it is luck, some of it timing. But Kafka doesn't strike me as being a great option.
I'm not sure any of them are great options, all pretty much unproven, however, I think they're all "good options". Flores is the most proven of all the candidates left actually.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe turn him around isn't the right answer? How bout "used him in a way that he can be effective"? That's something smart coaches do, unlike KK lol.

Sure, as a OC thats all he can do. Work with what he has.

I just don't think it screams "I'm HC worthy" but as I say, maybe he'll be great. Nobody knows.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kafka is intriguing - but Im concerned about the bigger role of the HC in terms of setting standards, etc --

for all of the complaining about Kliffs scheme, it was his inability to master the bigger HCs issues-- situational football, clock, accountability -- that cost him his job.

its just a wildcard and you wont know until you see it.

Will he be a Brian Dabol or a Bob McAdoo. Same org looked at both guys and thought they were "it".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure any of them are great options, all pretty much unproven, however, I think their all "good options". Flores is the most proven of all the candidates left actually.

Nobody was hot for Mike Tomlin. Nobody was hot for Sean Payton in 2006. Nobody was hot for BA.

Andy Reid when hired by the Eagles was a 2 year QB coach for Green Bay after being a career O line coach. Eagles fans HATED the hire. One local paper reported "We want a who’s who and you give us a who’s he?"

And the staff he put together was a bunch of has beens with a combined 262-349 record and college guys.

His DC was Jim Johnson who's 2 previous years as a DC finished 18th and 26th in D rank. His OC was Rod Dowhower. Brad Childress was QB coach with 1 year NFL experience in 1985. Others with no coaching experience in the league were Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazer, Pat Shurmur, Sean McDermott and Steve Spagnuolo.

Nobody had heard of these guys and the hire was universally hated. Just goes to show.

My personal opinion is that Brian Flores is that guy that can be a future star and HC for 20 years.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody was hot for Mike Tomlin. Nobody was hot for Sean Payton in 2006. Nobody was hot for BA.

Andy Reid when hired by the Eagles was a 2 year QB coach for Green Bay after being a career O line coach. Eagles fans HATED the hire. One local paper reported "We want a who’s who and you give us a who’s he?"

And the staff he put together was a bunch of has beens with a combined 262-349 record and college guys.

His DC was Jim Johnson who's 2 previous years as a DC finished 18th and 26th in D rank. His OC was Rod Dowhower. Brad Childress was QB coach with 1 year NFL experience in 1985. Others with no coaching experience in the league were Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazer, Pat Shurmur, Sean McDermott and Steve Spagnuolo.

Nobody had heard of these guys and the hire was universally hated. Just goes to show.

My personal opinion is that Brian Flores is that guy that can be a future star and HC for 20 years.
Maybe he can be? He's definitely the most experienced of all the candidates we know of currently & I definitely think he got a raw deal in Miami. The dude will not take any ********.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kafka is intriguing - but Im concerned about the bigger role of the HC in terms of setting standards, etc --

for all of the complaining about Kliffs scheme, it was his inability to master the bigger HCs issues-- situational football, clock, accountability -- that cost him his job.

its just a wildcard and you wont know until you see it.

Will he be a Brian Dabol or a Bob McAdoo. Same org looked at both guys and thought they were "it".
All legit concerns man, like I said a few posts above. " it's a crap shoot, roll the dice on success elsewhere & see what happens"?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be intrigued with Kafka.
Does Kafka call the plays in NY? Who was running the offense? Is he responsible for Daniel Jones good year? Is he Daboll’s lackey?
What makes Kafka so appealing is that he kept D Jones consistent. (seldom did Jones wander off the reservation). The way Jones performed early in the season was the same way he performed late in the season.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What makes Kafka so appealing is that he kept D Jones consistent. (seldom did Jones wander off the reservation). The way Jones performed early in the season was the same way he performed late in the season.
If they announced Kafka in the next few minutes as our new HC I would be totally fine with it. I would almost bet you anything Andy Reid would have glowing things to say about him. Brian Daboll also.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is definitely where we disagree. Outside of Allen, none of those players are what I would call "good," especially for giving up the farm to move into the top 5.

Trubisky - Bad. Got run out of town and didn't even get his 5th year option picked up.
Goff - Mediocre at best. Was so "not the answer" in LA that they gave up two more first round picks to find his replacement, and that's after already giving up two firsts, two 2nds, and two thirds for Goff. Honestly the best on this list, but zero championships and playing for another team after five seasons isn't what you want for that investment.
Wentz - Bad. He had one great year but never even won a playoff game. The team around him was so good that Nick Foles won a Super Bowl with them. Didn't even get a second contract.
RG3 - Bad. One good year and then a complete washout.
Sanchez - Bad. The team won despite him. Somehow probably the second best on this list by the account of doing enough to win some playoff games and getting an extension.
Vick - Bad. Tantalizing to watch, but couldn't remain healthy, couldn't lead the team to the playoffs more than twice, and then got himself kicked out of the league for a bit.

Sorry, if you're trading into the top-5, it better be for a player that takes you to the playoffs and wins multiple times at the very least, and lasts for a second contract, if not makes you surefire contenders for the Super Bowl.

Also, not to overly nitpick, but the only QBs on your list here that qualify for jumping from inside the top 10 to the top 5 are Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, RG3, and Vick. That makes the list even more painful to look at.
True Solar, however those teams were desperate for a qb. I believe it’s like that every year. We may get real lucky if the 3 top qb’s really shine at the combine.
We know 1 qb will go before our pick unless the Bears trade down, then maybe 2 will be gone. If the Colts are the still the team behind us they may want that 3 spot to get their guy.
But alas, Stuff like this doesn’t happen for us.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think right now I'm just rooting for the Colts to hire Jeff Saturday as their permanent head coach that way no matter who the Cardinals hire, will pretty much fly under the radar.. with the exception of Brian Flores.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
This is taking so long that my optimism after hiring MO has worn off, even if they're waiting for the SB teams (which with this franchises history I think is an excuse) there's no coach I'm excited for, doesn't mean they won't be good I just know it's gonna be yet another "I sure hope it works out" hire untill proven otherwise
@Brian in Mesa see you in the DarkSide room lol

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is taking so long that my optimism after hiring MO has worn off, even if they're waiting for the SB teams (which with this franchises history I think is an excuse) there's no coach I'm excited for, doesn't mean they won't be good I just know it's gonna be yet another "I sure hope it works out" hire untill proven otherwise
@Brian in Mesa see you in the DarkSide room lol
I think I'd rather be ambivalent at this point, rather than have to be sold on a coach with no experience and a bad resume, or a coach whose last experience was 20 years ago.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you're not arguing one way or another and your only point is to tell me to shut up you can just be quiet and save your energy. Or hit the ignore button.

If you don't think the narrative around this franchise, and especially around Kyler Murray is determined by what people say in the media then I don't know what to tell you. That's like saying that the day/night cycle isn't effected by the Sun.

The narrative that Kyler has allowed to be told about him being a difficult energy vampire that doesn't study and is a poor leader is having a direct effect on the HC search. How could it not? Even had we not been told it is, it's obvious.
Just a fly in the ointment, my man. Relax.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...and also because he at times bails on a clean pocket and does his bad spin move out of said clean pocket and into the pass rush. Not always, and he certainly didn't always have a clean pocket, but he has definitely developed a propensity for it. Is it because its just a bad habit or he's so gun shy because the line, due to GM incompetence and injury, is often so awful?
Cannot deny that he's done that. And because of his athleticism he probably got away with that move from the time he was playing pee wee straight through college. NFL DC's will eventually take that away from you as soon as they recognize that it's your go to move. A good HC/QB coach/OC will coach that out of a QB, so what is it? I think some of it is habit. you always revert to bad habits under pressure. I've bowled semi-professionally my whole life & bad habits creep in when I'm under the gun to make something happen & I have worked on eliminating those habits for 30+ years lol. I do believe that the coaching that Murray has received hasn't helped either. So, bottom line, it's a combination of all three. Bad habits, poor OL, poor coaching. Hoping that better coaching, better OL, and Murray working to eliminate that spin move altogether (he doesn't do it nearly as often as he did in years 1 & 2) can help him moving forward.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike Garafolo

#Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo will receive a second interview with the #AZCardinals for their head coaching job, source says. It’ll take place late next week.
“Late next week” makes me think they are going to interview the Eagles coordinators.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose