POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know little about him but I don't see enough leadership to be confident. He's well down my list.
Lol. “I don’t see enough leadership.” Can anyone find a post over a 3 months ago where Britcard, or anyone else for that matter, ever mentioned this guys name? These opinions crack me up.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Steve Keim approves.
Current roster issues are because of Steve Keim. I'm hoping that starts to get corrected with new Gm and coaching staff.
However, the make up of the current roster should not have any relevance on the coaching hire search, except for maybe the QB that we are tied to the hip for the foreseeable future.
We should be zeroing in on the best coach, period. Doesn't matter if the roster is built to win next year or 3 years from now.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. “I don’t see enough leadership.” Can anyone find a post over a 3 months ago where Britcard, or anyone else for that matter, ever mentioned this guys name? These opinions crack me up.
All we know about any of these guys leadership is what we read.
Résumé:
#1. great leadership. His defense was top 10 for the last half of last season. No head coaching experience.
#2. Great leadership. Helped his team to the SuperBowl last year and to the AFC championship this year. No head coaching experience.
#3. Former head coach who took a 30th ranked defense to the 15th rank defense over 2 years.

So who is best qualified on paper?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Here is what people on the outside that are dialed in on the team think:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Simeon Rice flashbacks in 3....2.....1.

Like father like son I guess. But hey, we have this snazzy plane!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
A lot of Steve Keim critics on here, but are sharing the same mentality as him. Being afraid of a rebuild & all.

this

2023, sadly, is a re-set year ( that word is easier on me than "re-build")

use 2023 to:

1. take the hit on older vet contracts to clear up space for 2024 and beyond
2. get the new FO and coaching staff up to speed
3. Get Murray healthy and working the new offense mentally
4. put two good drafts together in 2023 / 2024

things change quickly in the NFL. Two years ago -- the Eagles were 4-11-1

you just need a plan.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what people on the outside that are dialed in on the team think:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I thought their massive and expensive rebuild of the facilities was widely considered state of the art... Eight years later, are the facilities really considered "crappy"?

...dave

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought their massive and expensive rebuild of the facilities was widely considered state of the art... Eight years later, are the facilities really considered "crappy"?

...dave
Agreed sounds like sour grapes to me…. I remember the hype over that. And he just bought a new Jet for player comfort… all makes sense lol….

I also remember a game day special on the Cardinals being one of the first innovative teams to pony up the cash and use the virtual reality training for QBs as well….

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the guys that are angry on here are the ones that think this roster is close to contending or something.

I don’t think it’s a matter of “This roster just needs the right HC to contend”. I think it’s more so that we lack a lot of talent that even under Payton it would take more than two years to actually be formidable. Payton has missed the playoffs with teams more talented than our current roster right now.

We’re not in the business of giving up picks. We need them more than ever. We need cornerstones.
I don’t think we have a lot of talent. What I do think is that the fastest path to relevancy and playoffs is unlocking kyler. I think Payton was the only candidate with all the pieces (super bowl coach, holds players accountable, top offensive mind, can build a good staff) to maximize that happening. No guarantees of course. But if he proved successful there it would overshadow any compensation we gave up for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A lot of Steve Keim critics on here, but are sharing the same mentality as him. Being afraid of a rebuild & all.
We don't agree on everything, but I've thought this roster needed a true rebuild (not the "reload" mentality Keim harped on) for a long time. There's only a few pieces here that should be a part of the long term future here, and a couple of "coulds."

The biggest problem this franchise has dealt with has been Keim's awful drafting leaving us completely barren of young, cost-controlled talent. Even the guys who are halfway decent can't stay healthy on the field.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Rebuilding since 1948 lol
Step 1 - begin to develop a solid fan base: SissyBoy is born Feb. 1949.
Step 2 - Begin a 75 year long search for a GM & HC who can take us all the way.
Step 3 - Create an Heir (Michael born 1964)) to continue the ways implemented by our founder, Bill Bidwill.
Step 4 - Move team to some desert location where construction on a spaceship that looks like a football stadium can go undetected until that time the Bidwill family needs to escape Earth's final destruction.

Epilogue Jan 2, 2049 - With the undefeated AZ Cardinals preparing for only their 2nd trip to the Super Bowl, and a day prior to the comet Brady (named after Tom Brady, QB of the NFL's Arctic Freeze, in celebration of his 50th year in the league) being one million miles away and scheduled to strike Earth on Sunday Jan 3rd, Michael Bidwill, with his entire family, shot off into space in what was described as a silver space ship, as big as a football stadium, with its only outward designation being a giant red bird imprinted on the sides above the words "The Bidwills".

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think you guys are afraid of going through this obvious rebuild we’re about to enter.
dude. we rebuild every year.
how many years in a row have we started FA with less than half our roster under contract?

if I see 2 of our top three picks go to oline and front 7...then we can talk rebuilds....other than that its just a repaint

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no reason to be confident in our new GM as he is completely unproven. The same guy who promoted Keim is hiring this guy. Maybe he works out and maybe not, but he is going to be figuring it out along the way.

I have similar doubts about Kyler.

Now we will inject a retread or a first time HC into the mix who will also have a significant learning curve.

I don't view it as being afraid of a rebuild as much as it is being realistic about the pieces we are putting together. Nothing in this inspires confidence as we have rarely proven the ability to develop a new Gm, HC or young QB. Why is this time different?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There is no reason to be confident in our new GM as he is completely unproven. The same guy who promoted Keim is hiring this guy. Maybe he works out and maybe not, but he is going to be figuring it out along the way.

I have similar doubts about Kyler.

Now we will inject a retread or a first time HC into the mix who will also have a significant learning curve.

I don't view it as being afraid of a rebuild as much as it is being realistic about the pieces we are putting together. Nothing in this inspires confidence as we have rarely proven the ability to develop a new Gm, HC or young QB. Why is this time different?
Well, he brings a new perspective and appears to be all-business.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was just so obviously what was going to happen.

So now we've lost Payton, Ryans and Reich to other teams. I like Brian Flores been clear about that but clearly he wasn't one of our top choices, we started keying in on him because we knew we were NOT getting the guys we wanted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose