Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently, the Hawks just came way down on their asking price for Collins. Maybe that is good new for moving Jae.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes Washington more desirable than Saban Lee?
I am not knocking Saban Lee. I just see something in Washington. I think he is going to be one of those players who when he finally gets his chance to play on a regular basis is going to grow leaps and bounds.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah I think this is a horrible move.
Why? People are really upset by this and there is no reason to be. Washington has the chance to be a good backup, but he is still #3 on this roster and wasn’t measurably better than Saban Lee. And Lee can play in a lot more games through the rest of the year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saban Lee will be available to play about 20 more regular season games for the Suns as a two-way contract player.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? People are really upset by this and there is no reason to be. Washington has the chance to be a good backup, but he is still #3 on this roster and wasn’t measurably better than Saban Lee. And Lee can play in a lot more games through the rest of the year.
I am not really upset. I just liked Washington. Neither of these guys is going to put this team over the top this season so comparing the two of them is inches not yards.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Washington is basically a shooter who can't really shoot with any efficiency. He doesn't really have anything else to his game.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Lee is more what we need now. Sucks to lose DW jr but its likely we will have to make even more room soon.

Dear JJ
I'M TALKING ABOUT SHAMET
ty
Yeah Shamet is who I like to see gone. He's been given multiple opportunities and he just hasn't been the dependable shot creator off the bench that the Suns needed and he's getting $10 million. Damion Lee can give us what Shamet can't and at much lower cost. Doubt if Shamet has much value in a trade unless he's packaged though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington Jr. was well worth a two-way contract. Monty saw him as a shooter, but I think his future is as a point guard or a combo guard. I believe he has point guard skills that haven't been developed. I'd rather try to develop a 22-year-old than a 28-year-old player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Shamet is who I like to see gone. He's been given multiple opportunities and he just hasn't been the dependable shot creator off the bench that the Suns needed and he's getting $10 million. Damion Lee can give us what Shamet can't and at much lower cost. Doubt if Shamet has much value in a trade unless he's packaged though.

Shamet likely has a negative value at his salary.

He is a player I would like to include in a trade as well, but there probably aren't a lot of takers without sweeteners.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes Washington more desirable than Saban Lee?
He has an elite skill - shooting/scoring. He will IMO easily become at least a Clarkson type player in the future.

Saban Lee has no elite skills that I can identify - in fact I would say he seems below average across the board

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damion Lee signed a one year deal. I doubt he will be a Sun next year he outplayed his contract.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I think he likes it here, it really is a function of our new owners willingness to go into tax territory more than anything IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He is a player I would like to include in a trade as well, but there probably aren't a lot of takers without sweeteners.
If we are including picks he should be the price of us including them.

While Dario will leave for nothing, he has very low value. Getting rid of shamet has positive value because he is under contract beyond this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Washington Jr. was well worth a two-way contract. Monty saw him as a shooter, but I think his future is as a point guard or a combo guard. I believe he has point guard skills that haven't been developed. I'd rather try to develop a 22-year-old than a 28-year-old player.
Honestly Monti's unwillingness to play him, and a few others has really made me question his judgement.

I almost feel like he puts adherence to his system above individual player's abilities, which suggests he is unwilling to adapt to the players strengths.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are including picks he should be the price of us including them.

While Dario will leave for nothing, he has very low value. Getting rid of shamet has positive value because he is under contract beyond this year.

I think Shamet would have more value if he were an expiring contract. His stats don't measure up to his contract. At least expiring contracts have some value due to teams wanting to dump salary.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score

Exactly. Most of us probably wish we could take Shamet's $10 million salary, Crowder's $10 million, and possibly a draft pick and convert it into a much needed decent power forward.
They say Atlanta's asking price for John Collins has gone down. But is he the right player for the Suns?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the thing that bothers me the most - it's not so much that Washington is consistently much better than Lee - he isn't consistently - but on some nights he can put up 30 and single handidly win us games. Saben Lee will never do that.

To me giving up on Washington again shows James Jones / Monty's impatience with young players. That is not a good long term model period.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly Monti's unwillingness to play him, and a few others has really made me question his judgement.

I almost feel like he puts adherence to his system above individual player's abilities, which suggests he is unwilling to adapt to the players strengths.

We both like Washington Jr. but I think his value is in the future. Saban Lee is the better player now. I would have liked to have kept both for development.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We both like Washington Jr. but I think his value is in the future. Saban Lee is the better player now. I would have liked to have kept both for development.
I don't agree.

I understand Lee fits Monty's system better, but without question Washington is the overall more skilled player when used correctly - now, not just in the future.

I mean, I would have released Wainright or Dario or bought out Shamet before I let Washington go. I think he is better than all 3 of them, not to mention his potential is higher than just about anyone on the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree.

I understand Lee fits Monty's system better, but without question Washington is the overall more skilled player when used correctly - now, not just in the future.

My interpretation of comments from Monty, he wanted Washington in the game to be a shooter. He is not that consistent in doing so right now. I think he can do so much more, like run a team if asked to do so.

Saban Lee gives the Suns more steady point guard play and he is better defensively NOW.

I think Washington has the higher upside, but Lee is the better player at this point in his career.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose