Do We Need a Star Wars Redo?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk about this in various places. Did they blow it with the most recent trilogy? Should they get a mulligan? Do we need multi-verses? Can we tweek the existing stuff. Is a Zack Snyder edit in the cards?

Let's discuss and find out!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a lifelong diehard Star Wars fan I adore the original trilogy, of course. Have watched them countless times. I was one of those who was harsh on the prequels for many reasons, but the Disney trilogy gave me newfound respect for them. At least the prequels had a consistent storyline and actually told a story...

The Disney trilogy was a mess. It did not feel planned out at all. The issue with a mulligan is that one of the big three is dead now (RIP, Carrie Fisher). It's a shame there wasn't more thought put into how to hand the series off from the original cast to the newcomers. Episode VII could have been original cast heavy and introduced our new heroes...and then VIII and IX could have been new cast heavy...or something along those lines. It just should have flowed and it did not.

Gone are the plans to have a new Star Wars film every year and the focus seems to momentarily be on multiple TV shows rather than films.

Whatever they try to bring to the big screen next really needs to be mapped out ahead of time and thought through in advance.

:jedi:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sequels weren't as good as the OT but they could have been but for really bad dialogue.

The Disney trilogy was a mess, but again I'll put that squarely on the shoulders of KK and RJ. It's clear that good or no, JJ Abrams had a 3 episode arc that RJ obliterated and had to cram as much correction and catch up as possible into RoS. It would have been nice to see the journey of the new characters and the appearance of Palpy happen over 2 films instead of 1.

I think Disney's first mistake was de-canonizing the EU. They had a ready made sequel trilogy with the Thrawn trilogy. They would still have need to recast everyone because it takes place shortly after RotJ but it could have been done. I think Favreau and Filoni are the right and true heirs to Uncle George. They love the lore and would keep the faith. They don't have agendas outside of producing a good product and making people happy. SW won't truly get on the right track until they get rid of KK.

I did like 2 of the 3 Disney trilogy and I do think it would be an insult to the hard work that was put into them. That being said, I have faith in Filoni and Favreau and if this were to happen I'd fully support.

There is already a slow burn and a big build up through SW tv. We have Mando and the whole Mandalorian quest going on with those characters to draw from. There's Boba's story, Ahsoka Tano. There's the Rangers show. I can see the plan to have a Marvel style finale with Thrawn being the SW Thanos. We'll have to see how the Rogue Squadron movie fits in. I've seen that it will take place during or after the sequel trilogy but given that might be going by the wayside they would be smart to make it about the REAL Rogue Squadron.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The sequels weren't as good as the OT but they could have been but for really bad dialogue.

The Disney trilogy was a mess, but again I'll put that squarely on the shoulders of KK and RJ. It's clear that good or no, JJ Abrams had a 3 episode arc that RJ obliterated and had to cram as much correction and catch up as possible into RoS. It would have been nice to see the journey of the new characters and the appearance of Palpy happen over 2 films instead of 1.

I think Disney's first mistake was de-canonizing the EU. They had a ready made sequel trilogy with the Thrawn trilogy. They would still have need to recast everyone because it takes place shortly after RotJ but it could have been done. I think Favreau and Filoni are the right and true heirs to Uncle George. They love the lore and would keep the faith. They don't have agendas outside of producing a good product and making people happy. SW won't truly get on the right track until they get rid of KK.

I did like 2 of the 3 Disney trilogy and I do think it would be an insult to the hard work that was put into them. That being said, I have faith in Filoni and Favreau and if this were to happen I'd fully support.

There is already a slow burn and a big build up through SW tv. We have Mando and the whole Mandalorian quest going on with those characters to draw from. There's Boba's story, Ahsoka Tano. There's the Rangers show. I can see the plan to have a Marvel style finale with Thrawn being the SW Thanos. We'll have to see how the Rogue Squadron movie fits in. I've seen that it will take place during or after the sequel trilogy but given that might be going by the wayside they would be smart to make it about the REAL Rogue Squadron.
I agree with you except for the insult part. Yes, hard work was put into them, but everyone involved was well compensated for that work -- even the lower level people involved. Union rates aren't chump change in this town. I doubt JJ Abrams is going to lose any sleep over it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's fair, Chap.
It's really Kathleen Kennedy that is the problem -- and by extension Disney as a company. Is Kennedy strong enough to put the trilogy aside and acknowledge her mistake? Is she too scared to do that from fear that Disney will fire her from one of the top jobs in Hollywood?

Those 3 movies are a mess all around.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I disagree on Jar Jar Abrams having a 3 episode arc. If he did it was very rough. Too much has come out about them not having a plan other than "copy the OT but do it bigger!" TFA was just a new hope with ramped up DS. "Ours goes to 5!" It was typical Jar Jar. Other then that there was no real plan. They kept changing direction key points. Stuff like who Rey's parents were. That's coming right from interviews with Daisy and other cast members. We're not even falling into rumorville yet on it. If we go down that rabbit hole then it's a real mess.

It's really Kathleen Kennedy that is the problem -- and by extension Disney as a company. Is Kennedy strong enough to put the trilogy aside and acknowledge her mistake? Is she too scared to do that from fear that Disney will fire her from one of the top jobs in Hollywood?

Those 3 movies are a mess all around.

KK isn't going to do that. She's agenda driven and doing so would be admitting defeat. She has to go and the new head, hopefully Favreau, is going to need to clean it up.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The finale to season 2 of the Mandalorian with the return of Luke and the fan excitement it caused should have been a wake up call for Disney. Star Wars fans LOVE Luke Skywalker and turning him in to a bitter old hermit and then giving him an unsatisfying death was a huge mistake.

I don't think a redo is in the works but they need to do something as the fan base is severely divided. The new "High Republic" series of books and comics is getting panned and largely ignored. They need to figure out why.

At the minimum they need to do an animated Luke Skywalker series--something in the vein of Rebels or Clone Wars. Set it post ROTJ and give us what the majority of fans want--gives us Luke at the height of his power.

I am very much looking forward to the Ahsoka and Obi Wan series though. Mandalorian has been so much better than I expected and I have a lot of faith in Filoni and Favreau.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Zeno, so much yes.

Though they do know why the High Republic is getting panned and ignored. The questions are, do they care and will they do something about it?
Having never read any of the books curious why it’s getting panned?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think a redo is a good idea. Not with something this large. You had a shot at it with the biggest of budgets and you either hit it or you didn’t. A redo might make a ton of money but in all likelihood only the fanboys will understand (a) why a redo was necessary; and (b) that it’s even meant to be a redo. The rest of the public would just be massively confused about a redo and likely, as a result, not drive sales the way a “normal” Star Wars movie should )don’t get me wrong I suspect it would still have giant numbers just not what would normally be expected). As a result I think they’re better off moving along and making more “new” Star Wars movies.

also this: Rey, Finn and Poe were the least inspiring, least intriguing or even interesting ********* ever. BB-8 was more compelling than any of them. And yeah, Finn had the potentially most interesting character and they just did nothing with it. Ren was the most interesting character throughout the sequels and I even think they missed on adequately developing his conflicts consistently enough to make it a truly compelling storyline. In fact, I think his story is sooo much more interesting than reys that they would have been better off making him the central character to all three instead of Rey. And I was one who liked the idea of a heroine as the central character.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a redo is a good idea. Not with something this large. You had a shot at it with the biggest of budgets and you either hit it or you didn’t. A redo might make a ton of money but in all likelihood only the fanboys will understand (a) why a redo was necessary; and (b) that it’s even meant to be a redo. The rest of the public would just be massively confused about a redo and likely, as a result, not drive sales the way a “normal” Star Wars movie should )don’t get me wrong I suspect it would still have giant numbers just not what would normally be expected). As a result I think they’re better off moving along and making more “new” Star Wars movies.

also this: Rey, Finn and Poe were the least inspiring, least intriguing or even interesting ********* ever. BB-8 was more compelling than any of them. And yeah, Finn had the potentially most interesting character and they just did nothing with it. Ren was the most interesting character throughout the sequels and I even think they missed on adequately developing his conflicts consistently enough to make it a truly compelling storyline. In fact, I think his story is sooo much more interesting than reys that they would have been better off making him the central character to all three instead of Rey. And I was one who liked the idea of a heroine as the central character.

Finn was the biggest missed opportunity by a mile. A story about what amounts to a former slave to the First Order, getting out, just trying to run to protect himself at first, but ultmately turning into someone who leads an uprising against the First Order, turning it's soldiers against itself practically writes itself. A really powerful narrative to throw into Star Wars. And instead they did... space horses with a couple other former stormtroopers.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

The China market was too valuable to the mouse for them to let Finn be center stage and the main as he should have been. He had the best potential arc out of any of them and could have been a really good story. Instead he got sidelined for box office numbers. Worse part is that the movies still tanked there so it really didn't do any good.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Having never read any of the books curious why it’s getting panned?

It's about the Jedi during a time of peace in the order (few hundred years before Phantom Menace), but the bad guys are basically space pirates, no special powers to speak of. It just doesn't sound as interesting to me as the previous expanded universe was (and that had some stinkers too to be honest) and a large portion of the fandom feels the same way it seems.

Most fans wanted more stories with the Old Republic that was established from previous books and video games, which dealt with the height of both the Sith & Jedi--basically a war where both sides were evenly matched. There was also a strong contingent of fans that wanted more stories with Han, Luke & Leia post ROTJ, they haven't said they aren't doing anything in that era but they haven't said they are either.

To be sure there are segments of the fandom that will NEVER be happy though. When they blew up the old expanded universe--when Luke was married & had a child, Han & Leia were married with twins and another son, people just refused to accept anything Disney put out there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
dudes. I am and always have been a star wars nerd. I used to run around the neighborhood with a blaster, I was Han, my buddy was Chewie...we would blast cows, cars, whatever.

but the time has come. Not only was the disney trilogy a disaster, the prequels sucked, and if you go back and watch the originals they look cheap and campy.
Lucas had to create Industrial Light and Magic to be able to make the originals...and in so doing he changed movies forever.
Now its time to really show what they can do.

100 percent full reboot. and as an added nod to the fans, Have Mark Hamill play Obi Wan Kenobi

but the thing is... do them in order this time. Do the prequels first with the younger actors, then remake the originals with new stars, then remake the sequels...all 9 movies, 1-9 in order... with a real budget and ILM showing off all the strides they have made in effects technology over the past 50 years.

I remember how amazed I was when I watched new hope the first time...and it really didnt diminish by the 101st time... but the last time?? It was just so disappointing. I mean, look at avatar, look at the new D&D movie... we deserve a Star Wars that is made to those standards.

I am a life long star wars nerd and I fully endorse a full remake.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are saying "REBOOT". It will never happen. I mean never. No chance. No shot. NEVER. The Universe is too large, and they do have some hit properties. The entire universe is engrained in it's connectivity as well. It really makes no sense. There are some good threads in the universe, and you move forward and not back.

In terms of the new trilogy? I have some mixed feelings. TFA is one of my favorite Star Wars movies out of all of them, but I hated TLJ. The last movie to me was a fitting ending but it was tough to comeback from TLJ. Finn IMO was such an underdeveloped part of the last two films and deserved better.

Simply push forward. Love Mando, Boba is good but not great. Loved Obi, Andor was pretty damn good and Ahsoka could be a hit too. NO REMAKES. NO REBOOTS.

In terms of multiverse? They have already flirted with that in the animation. So, not that I mind them going there but they need to tread lightly. Very lightly IMO.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things that I loved about the SW universe was that when a movie came out it was an event. It was sacred. Now, there's too much saturation with all of the streaming and, IMO, and is just another series.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things that I loved about the SW universe was that when a movie came out it was an event. It was sacred. Now, there's too much saturation with all of the streaming and, IMO, and is just another series.
The downside of these events was DECADES between trilogy releases. So, I am fine with more content as long as the quality is there.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downside of these events was DECADES between trilogy releases. So, I am fine with more content as long as the quality is there.

I'm with CR here. As someone who is playing on the 'back nine' of life, I'll take what I can get sooner rather than later.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who cares if there were decades between movies? Outside of Rogue One, this should have remained with one single trilogy. Everything else has been crap, more or less. A great trilogy doesn't have to spawn more movies--especially when they suck.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The only thing SW needs is for new people to be in charge and everything Disney to be retconned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose