Do We Need a Star Wars Redo?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that time period, but it would be really tough to pull the Revan story off in a satisfying way.
Not so sure. Let see how they do with the High Republic (Star Wars Acolyte). If they nail that I don't see why not.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so sure. Let see how they do with the High Republic (Star Wars Acolyte). If they nail that I don't see why not.

I don't know which path you took in your run-through(s), but I know they'll make choices I didn't. Plus, the sheer length of time it would take to get as emotionally connected to the characters/story in KOTOR would be at minimum the level of Dune or similar. I just don't see Disney committing to that. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know which path you took in your run-through(s), but I know they'll make choices I didn't. Plus, the sheer length of time it would take to get as emotionally connected to the characters/story in KOTOR would be at minimum the level of Dune or similar. I just don't see Disney committing to that. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.
I wouldn't expect for it to play out like the game. That expectation would be insane. I would fully expect it to have similarities but be its own thing. If it's a muti-season show (not limited series) they would have plenty of time.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect for it to play out like the game. That expectation would be insane. I would fully expect it to have similarities but be its own thing. If it's a muti-season show (not limited series) they would have plenty of time.

I'll expect it if I want to! :doi: :doofus:

I just worry Disney will end up with a travesty like the Assassin's Creed movie and irreparably damage the property.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll expect it if I want to! :doi: :doofus:

I just worry Disney will end up with a travesty like the Assassin's Creed movie and irreparably damage the property.
Disney isn't vested in Assassin's Creed like they are Star Wars. They have much more talent in the Star Wars verse. I honestly, don't want them to carbon copy a video game anyway. How often has that worked out for any studio?

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney isn't vested in Assassin's Creed like they are Star Wars. They have much more talent in the Star Wars verse. I honestly, don't want them to carbon copy a video game anyway. How often has that worked out for any studio?

I don't want a "carbon copy of a video game" and never said that, so save your strawman.

KOTOR is revered because of the emotional attachment made with the characters and the story. Shocking, I know. KOTOR had a very specific medium to address and deliver that connection in an extremely effective way. A movie version would need to figure out a way to create those attachments in that particular medium. Hence, my concerns.

I do like your idea of a multi-season show. That is probably the best chance to build that universe versus a standalone feature. They could think about a trilogy of features, but I'm not sure they would commit to the investment needed or not. It's hard to know what they're thinking upstairs at Disney other than Money=Good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want a "carbon copy of a video game" and never said that, so save your strawman.

KOTOR is revered because of the emotional attachment made with the characters and the story. Shocking, I know. KOTOR had a very specific medium to address and deliver that connection in an extremely effective way. A movie version would need to figure out a way to create those attachments in that particular medium. Hence, my concerns.

I do like your idea of a multi-season show. That is probably the best chance to build that universe versus a standalone feature. They could think about a trilogy of features, but I'm not sure they would commit to the investment needed or not. It's hard to know what they're thinking upstairs at Disney other than Money=Good.
You brought up following your choices and doing what is needed for the characters and story from KOTR not me. So, that's hardly a strawman. I was being a bit facetious but there is a reason video game movies often don't work. Also, I don't believe they need to follow all the details from the game because the game medium is so different from TV/movies. Also, KOTOR wasn't the first stories from that time frame. It happens to be a game in that era. It would be smart for them to try and incorporate such a popular game for sure but honestly that would be for fan boys since the average audience (which they need) likely hasn't played or heard of the game. Also, not sure where you are going with the "shocking I know stuff". Who said the game isn't revered? It was a great game. One of my favorites.

I never assumed it would be a movie. I guess it could be a trilogy, but I was always assuming a series. We agree that there is no way if they build something around the game in just one single standalone feature. It's not possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You brought up following your choices and doing what is needed for the characters and story from KOTR not me. So, that's hardly a strawman. I was being a bit facetious but there is a reason video game movies often don't work. Also, I don't believe they need to follow all the details from the game because the game medium is so different from TV/movies. Also, KOTOR wasn't the first stories from that time frame. It happens to be a game in that era. It would be smart for them to try and incorporate such a popular game for sure but honestly that would be for fan boys since the average audience (which they need) likely hasn't played or heard of the game. Also, not sure where you are going with the "shocking I know stuff". Who said the game isn't revered? It was a great game. One of my favorites.

I never assumed it would be a movie. I guess it could be a trilogy, but I was always assuming a series. We agree that there is no way if they build something around the game in just one single standalone feature. It's not possible.

You're right I said follow my choices exactly (carbon copy) or it sucks. :rolleyes:

The point I'm trying to make is what I said in my first post about it: :...it would be really tough to pull the Revan story off in a satisfying way." Those choices are what lead to the emotional connection. That gaming medium provides for that and the passive medium would have to figure out another way to do so within the limitations of a movie.

"KOTOR is revered because of the emotional attachment made with the characters and the story. Shocking, I know."

This is true for any successful type of storytelling so I just reiterated that I'm stating the obvious with the second sentence.

Now, I'm heading back to P&R where the debates are less argumentative. ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right I said follow my choices exactly (carbon copy) or it sucks. :rolleyes:

The point I'm trying to make is what I said in my first post about it: :...it would be really tough to pull the Revan story off in a satisfying way." Those choices are what lead to the emotional connection. That gaming medium provides for that and the passive medium would have to figure out another way to do so within the limitations of a movie.

"KOTOR is revered because of the emotional attachment made with the characters and the story. Shocking, I know."

This is true for any successful type of storytelling so I just reiterated that I'm stating the obvious with the second sentence.

Now, I'm heading back to P&R where the debates are less argumentative. ;)
I brought up your choices along with following the Storyline/characters? It would have been a strawman if I had pulled that out of a hat. I didn't. Again, I was saying carbon copy of the video game which is obviously being facetious because it wouldn't be possible in a "choose your own adventure" type medium. I thought that was obvious, but I digress.

If you are going back to P&R you are glutton for punishment. ;)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, one of my all-time favorite games was Star Wars Dark Forces. I loved the feel of the game as it was almost haunting and apart from the Star Wars theology but still within the universe.

I would really like to see a darker SW movie kind of along those lines.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
FWIW, one of my all-time favorite games was Star Wars Dark Forces. I loved the feel of the game as it was almost haunting and apart from the Star Wars theology but still within the universe.

I would really like to see a darker SW movie kind of along those lines.
agree. Give a trilogy to that one guy that does those noir Batman movies and such