POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Live on NFL Network Rapsheet and Garapolo saying less than 50-50 Payton takes a job this year. No second interview scheduled in Denver.

If Quinn not hired, AZ is last possibility.
But there was a 2nd interview scheduled with Denver. Payton cancelled it to interview with the cardinals.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
i dont know if you have ever interviewed for a job that you didnt need or want

it is hard to be convincing / passionate in those situations and i think it shows

curious is Payton is simply exploring jobs he doesnt have much of an interest in or not
I have, and interviewing from a position of power is definitely interesting. I walk in and I'm like "I don't want to do this, I don't want to do that, I expect to get this special treatment, and I expect you to bend your policies for me." And yet still get the offer, haha.

But I do think the big sticking point is compensation going back to the Saints.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think NFL network lost their sources within AZ when Kiem and Kliff were fired. They seem to be totally in the dark about our HC search including the interview scheduled for tomorrow lol

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I still think there is a very good chance we get Payton. Everything I was told by a good source was Bidwill had agreed to everything and Payton hadn’t made a decision.
I hope you are right. I guess the question then is whether Monti is onboard with that or not?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
yeah, not a good sign when a guy cancels on you to interview elsewhere when you are trying to advance the process.
Chatter has been consistent leading up until the end of last year that he wasn't interested in the Denver job. Only got as much coverage as it did because of the Broncos historic reputation / profile (even though they have the same winning pct as us over the last ten years...).

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I told him to let me know the minute he heard anything Thursday after the meeting. Money and staff had already been agreed upon. It sounded to me like MB had put down the full court press on Payton.
Do you think there's a possibility that some of these other guys that have been interviewed, have actually been interviewed for coordinator positions?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I told him to let me know the minute he heard anything Thursday after the meeting. Money and staff had already been agreed upon. It sounded to me like MB had put down the full court press on Payton.

Sorry if I am being dumb, what do you mean by MB had to put the full court press on Payton?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I will have a problem if the Cards adhere to the outrageous compensation the Saints are currently shoveling... and if the Saints stay put, their office is ran by idiots and nothing Saint fans should be happy about because in all likelihood they will get nothing for him, and he will go back to FOX

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Sorry if I am being dumb, what do you mean by MB had to put the full court press on Payton?
For a couple reasons one being the money was agreed on quickly as well as everything else and the conversation went so well and a certain someone said it looks like we might be going to Arizona.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will have a problem if the Cards adhere to the outrageous compensation the Saints are currently shoveling... and if the Saints stay put, their office is ran by idiots and nothing Saint fans should be happy about because in all likelihood they will get nothing for him, and he will go back to FOX
There is really no reason for the Saints to try to hold the Cardinals or Payton hostage on this.
The could give tge Saints a 1and2 pick next year and get the saints #1 in return.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Do you think there's a possibility that some of these other guys that have been interviewed, have actually been interviewed for coordinator positions?
I have not heard that but if I was MB I certainly would be paying close attention to those interviews. Even if we hire Payton maybe one of his guys takes another job and we still end up needing an OC or DC.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For a couple reasons one being the money was agreed on quickly as well as everything else and the conversation went so well and a certain someone said it looks like we might be going to Arizona.

Well, if it was all copasetic, it begs the question as to why MB flew to Dallas and back with Quinn. :shrug:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Well, if it was all copasetic, it begs the question as to why MB flew to Dallas and back with Quinn. :shrug:
Maybe MB is doing his due diligence just in case. What I got out of the conversation was Payton was pleased with the offer but hadn’t made a decision. Quinn has a lot of experience and wouldn’t cost any compensation. I have a feeling MB probably wants a coach with a lot of NFL experience so just in case he gets turned down by Payton he has a backup plan.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So according to what snakester says it sounds like Payton will come here and could be named our new head coach.
I hope we aren’t giving up a kings ransom to get him.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
If we don't hear something by this weekend, I would speculate that they are waiting to speak with Demeco Ryans. At this point we don't even know if Ryans wants to interview with the Cards, but it is a possibility.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe MB is doing his due diligence just in case. What I got out of the conversation was Payton was pleased with the offer but hadn’t made a decision. Quinn has a lot of experience and wouldn’t cost any compensation. I have a feeling MB probably wants a coach with a lot of NFL experience so just in case he gets turned down by Payton he has a backup plan.

You just posted that they've agreed on money and staff, so what's left to be said?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So according to what snakester says it sounds like Payton will come here and could be named our new head coach.
I hope we aren’t giving up a kings ransom to get him.

Hire a King; you pay a King's ransom, so to speak.

Couldn't care less as to how much MB chooses to pay him. I'm concerned with what compensation is sent to NOLA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose