Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I personally don't mind a defensive minded head coach, AS LONG AS, he brings a couple of real good offensive minded OC's, and qb coaches with him.
The issue is that those aren’t just readily available.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It appears that Bidwill and Ossenfort have decided to hire a defensive oriented coach to run the team, and we can only speculate on the reasons for this decision. Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with Murray. I think Kyler wore Kingsbury out and the Cardinals are determined to not let him do it again.

A head coach with a defensive backround is a little more insulated from the interactions with his quarterback and better able to run the whole team. He can hire the best OC possible and aid him in developing Kyler, without making the whole team about Kyler. This way, if Kyler shows improvement over the next two seasons, then great. But if he doesn't you move on.
MB/MO have said they’re not necessarily looking for an offensive or defensive minded HC. Looking for LEADERSHIP, which is obviously been missing in a HUGE way since BA left. They need to build a team on BOTH sides of the ball. Especially in the trenches.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
MB/MO have said they’re not necessarily looking for an offensive or defensive minded HC. Looking for LEADERSHIP, which is obviously been missing in a HUGE way since BA left. They need to build a team on BOTH sides of the ball. Especially in the trenches.
That sounds great but the biggest issue with going with a candidate with a defensive background is that it is tough to put together a good offensive staff and it is tough to maintain offensive consistency. Salah is having this issue in NY. The same for Vrabel as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That sounds great but the biggest issue with going with a candidate with a defensive background is that it is tough to put together a good offensive staff and it is tough to maintain offensive consistency. Salah is having this issue in NY. The same for Vrabel as well.
I think the Jets issues are more about QB, than LaFleur. I also think there may be a Tua/Herbert type issue brewing behind the scenes there, where HC, GM and Owner aren't all aligned with who the QB should be. That's my speculation.

In Tennessee, I think it's also a power dynamic with Vrabel and GM, which is why Mike was pissed when AJ was traded on draft day and now the GM has been replaced.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Jets issues are more about QB, than LaFleur. I also think there may be a Tua/Herbert type issue brewing behind the scenes there, where HC, GM and Owner aren't all aligned with who the QB should be. That's my speculation.

In Tennessee, I think it's also a power dynamic with Vrabel and GM, which is why Mike was pissed when AJ was traded on draft day and now the GM has been replaced.

Yeah I think it's much easier to be a good OC when you have a QB than it is when you don't.

My guess is the Cards are trying to find someone who can take command in the lockerroom as a coach. Kliff IMO was too friendly with the players, there's some times where that's good but it can also be bad when you're struggling and the players aren't necessarily listening to the coach.

I mentioned Ryans a few times earlier the players love him, but they also respect him, at least as a DC. Will that translate to HC is anybody's guess,

I'm still bummed Detroit's OC chose to stay he was definitely intriguing to me

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can’t argue that point. But, neither had a QB last year. Regardless of having a defensive minded HC, Wilson just appears to not be the answer in NY. Maybe too early to call him a bust, but this year will probably be his last shot. He has a great D to offset some of his mistakes. He has a solid RB, although that kid got hurt this year & they were never the same without him. And he has the makings of a very good WR room.

I think Vrabel is one of the best HC’s around. If Tannehill didn’t get hurt, they probably run away with that division. And Tannehill obviously isn’t a great QB. But, the Titans have an identity. And they know how to win. Injuries have just destroyed that team the last couple years. Cardinals need an identity moving forward. Even when we started 7-0 & 10-2 last year, we still had zero identity. And I believe that’s why we consistently fell apart under Kliff. Because Kliff/Keim had zero identity.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I actually think the defense/culture hire is pretty sharp. If you’re running out a top 5-10 defense every year then Kyler technically doesn’t have to be as good or healthy. But if he does rediscover the magic then we got a SB contender. And if he doesn’t we are ready to go in 2025 with said defense just needing to plug in a QB.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually think the defense/culture hire is pretty sharp. If you’re running out a top 5-10 defense every year then Kyler technically doesn’t have to be as good or healthy. But if he does rediscover the magic then we got a SB contender. And if he doesn’t we are ready to go in 2025 with said defense just needing to plug in a QB.
Exactly. I would not be shocked to see Vance Joseph stay as defensive coordinator, and I would not be very upset about it either. For exampke, I could see him working with Flores.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Did Jay Glazer just say Ryan's cancelled on the Cardinals and Colts? Saying he cancelled 2 of 4 interviews he had set up.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Comments seem to think he cancelled and didn't postpone.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, crap.

Edit: unless there’s some kind of wink nod agreement where we know we’re hiring Sean Payton or something and he doesn’t want to waste his time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes let’s look at everything in a one year vacuum. Two made the playoffs btw.
Yup. Seahawks did. That is my bad. And in terms of a short span of time, I feel it is the nature of the league. Like a defensive coach can be a contender with a great QB. I don’t believe Kyler is that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
FWIW, defense is more volatile season-to-season than offense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While track record and past relationships are important, I think we underestimate those factors that make each individual unique. i.e. Who they learned from. How they handled certain situations. How they treat individual team members. Straight shooters vs. weasels - stuff that isn’t revealed in a resume. We fans are missing this kind of “from the ground-up“ info and can only guess which each candidate is really like.

I appreciate the time and effort that each person on this board puts into their fearless forecasting of coaching and team management moves. But we really don’t know - it’s all a big guessing game. I just hope we get it rght this time.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While track record and past relationships are important, I think we underestimate those factors that make each individual unique. i.e. Who they learned from. How they handled certain situations. How they treat individual team members. Straight shooters vs. weasels - stuff that isn’t revealed in a resume. We fans are missing this kind of “from the ground-up“ info and can only guess which each candidate is really like.

I appreciate the time and effort that each person on this board puts into their fearless forecasting of coaching and team management moves. But we really don’t know - it’s all a big guessing game. I just hope we get it rght this time.
How dare you question on our expertis?
But you are correct..lol.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is also about the time in the hiring cycle when AZ media talks more about finding a "leader of men" to justify fallback options, ie Wilks.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s another angle for the Cardinals to consider. If they interview Flores and don’t hire him, they’d better have a solid and persuasive explanation for passing on him. Last year, the Texans got an invitation to the Flores lawsuit after interviewing him, making him one of three finalists, and then going off the board to hire Lovie Smith.

Many continue to be confused about the inability of a business to shun someone who has sued that business and/or one of its partners. The laws against employment discrimination also prevent retaliation against those who exercise their rights against employment discrimination.

To avoid the same fate as the Texans, the Cardinals would have to hire someone who would be clearly and obviously better than Flores.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose