CFB & Prospect Discussion Thread:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many teams use high picks on two down linemen and it's actually considered a good pick down the road?

It's exceedingly rare.
Look at the top 3 defenses year after year. They have great 1st and 2nd down players on the interior. For good defense, 1st down is as important as 3rd. Even when we get first and long, teams routinely gash us with the run because they spread us out and shove our inferior NT right out of the way with one blocker.

What's also exceedingly rare is the Arizona Cardinals getting any decent interior players from late round picks, UDFA and journeymen. The best we have had, Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Swann.... We're day 1 one picks. Yes, we had some misses as well. But 50% is better than 0%. The draft is just about 50/50 across the first three rounds anyhow.

But who knows? Maybe this guy has the solution under the radar.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Look at the top 3 defenses year after year. They have great 1st and 2nd down players on the interior. For good defense, 1st down is as important as 3rd. Even when we get first and long, teams routinely gash us with the run because they spread us out and shove our inferior NT right out of the way with one blocker.

What's also exceedingly rare is the Arizona Cardinals getting any decent interior players from late round picks, UDFA and journeymen. The best we have had, Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Swann.... We're day 1 one picks. Yes, we had some misses as well. But 50% is better than 0%. The draft is just about 50/50 across the first three rounds anyhow.

But who knows? Maybe this guy has the solution under the radar.
Right. You basically mentioned guys who could rush the passer. Campbell and Dockett weren't day one (current structure) either.

Williams was a two down lineman and was overpaid and out of the NFL fairly quickly.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. You basically mentioned guys who could rush the passer. Campbell and Dockett weren't day one (current structure) either.

Williams was a two down lineman and was overpaid and out of the NFL fairly quickly.
Left in playoffs DT/NT..... 7 total.

Four first round picks, a 2nd and 2 3rd round picks. The Niners who's roster we all admire? Two first round picks at DT.

And, of course, they can rush the passer also. Not arguing for only a run stuffer. Just stop going cheap at the position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love this play by Witherspoon. Not just the hit but where he comes from to read this play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I love this play by Witherspoon. Not just the hit but where he comes from to read this play.

Good CB, mid to late first round. I’m expecting a run on CBs in round 1. Cards might get lucky if they want to grab one in early round 2. Especially has some attractiveness if the Cards do trade down and acquire an extra second. I’m tracking a couple but much depends on workouts, especially flat line speed.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score

Being an Illini fan I have watched him his entire career and I dont think he has reached his potential yet Just smothers WRs and will hitt ya just like the Indiana game. Would be my next Cards jersey!! Dont think he will be there in the second round..

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Good CB, mid to late first round. I’m expecting a run on CBs in round 1. Cards might get lucky if they want to grab one in early round 2. Especially has some attractiveness if the Cards do trade down and acquire an extra second. I’m tracking a couple but much depends on workouts, especially flat line speed.
Harry if DW runs a 4.4 at the combine, do you think he may be top 10

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry if DW runs a 4.4 at the combine, do you think he may be top 10
No. Too many options to put a CB in top 10 IMO. I posted weeks ago Gonzalez was the top guy, long before he showed on the top of others list. Brugler has him there now. He’s one Of the best cover guys who’s also a ballhawk.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I do not want to make the same mistake yet again. Unless something explosive happens as to his suitability, come draft day it is Will Anderson 10 times out of 10.
I'd consider a slight move down if I could ALSO add 2 more premium picks.

The more I watch Tyree Wilson, the more I like him. He's 6'6 270 and is just so long and strong, he's going to be a problem form OTs for the next decade.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not want to make the same mistake yet again. Unless something explosive happens as to his suitability, come draft day it is Will Anderson 10 times out of 10.
And the answer to that is Will Anderson easily.

I’m not a Tyree fan at all.

Trading back is not tempting if you have a perennial All-Pro staring you right in the face.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And the answer to that is Will Anderson easily.

I’m not a Tyree fan at all.

Trading back is not tempting if you have a perennial All-Pro staring you right in the face.
I watched more Anderson last night and he's just so freakishly quick.

I think his numbers would have been absolutely filthy this year if they didn't line him up as a 3-4 end so much. But that's some crazy versatility!

Watching him setting the edge out of a 3 point stance against 330 lb tackles is crazy for a guy who weighs no more than 250.

I still really like Tyree Wilson, but he's a full tier below Anderson. Anderson has a shot to be a perennial All Pro, whereas I think Wilson can be a sometimes Pro Bowler.

Id only trade down for a kings ransom if Anderson is on the board.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave