Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching the video on how the Pats do it, I'm more inclined to think MO can bring similar experiences to the Cardinals. He appears to be able to judge talent but my concern is the GM role is more than a talent evaluator. They have to manage the cap too. I hope his degree in Economics can help with that.

The good news is that if you find the right talent, the talent helps define their own destiny. Hopefully, we find the right coaching staff to create the right environment for talent to prosper.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand why the cardinals take the risk of hiring a GM with no GM experience? It seems there is really no way to know if he is good at the GM job. Thus, everything about his future performance is just speculation. It seems that the cardinals risk falling into the "Peter Principle" constantly. They hired Kingsbury and SK with no NFL experience in their positions. Is there a reason they don't look for the top GMs in the NFL and hire the best one they can get?
maybe because the "Top GM's" already have jobs??

thats one thing about the nfl...they like their money. There may only be 32 of those jobs, but if you are reeeeaally good....they wont let you sit home on the couch for long.

if some dude with GM experience...hasnt had a team in a few years...its because he likely sucks at the job.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
These threads are funny.

Just to be clear. Ossenfort has never drafted a player, made a trade or signed an FA. Not one.

All these "Well the Pats signed X WR so he must suck" takes are silly.
You don’t last in scouting as long as he has and get promoted to his Tenn job without recommending stacks of good players. The Cards need that expertise.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand why the cardinals take the risk of hiring a GM with no GM experience? It seems there is really no way to know if he is good at the GM job. Thus, everything about his future performance is just speculation. It seems that the cardinals risk falling into the "Peter Principle" constantly. They hired Kingsbury and SK with no NFL experience in their positions. Is there a reason they don't look for the top GMs in the NFL and hire the best one they can get?
Because current GMs who are great at personnel aren’t looking for new jobs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The counter to that is, Thank you, coach. Im going to sign with the Texans because your team is too deep, and Im going to have a better chance to play, and put stuff on tape over there.

I dont know. Just playing devils advocate...

It's a fair point although I doubt many 22 year olds think much past Brady, BB, dynasty and superbowls. Hard to turn that down for the Texans.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You aren't getting a current GM...and the former GM's, with good experience, have been in TV for several years. It's not like a good GM was just fired for the hell of it and is now available.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I would not give up crap for Payton. Nada. Zilch.
Now that I have read the Saints want a first round pick, no way in hell. I wouldn't give up the 2nd round pick either.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just like sun rises in the east, Gambo sucks up to who ever is running the local team every hour of the day. Almost like local teams pay up Gambo to be a infomercial man for them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for the most part, GM experience either means: 1) you are so good at it you never need another job or 2) you did a bad job.