The 2023 roster

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been playing with the OTC roster manager to see what shape we are in cap wise next year because I had the dentist earlier, my face hurts, and I can't be bothered doing any work.

The good news is, with a Hop trade (post June 1st) and cutting Golden and Robbie Anderson while renegotiating Gardeck we could get the cap space to $52m.

The bad news is, there are quite a lot of players to resign.

These are the ones I've chosen so far.

Zach Allen - $11m APY for 3 years, $9.1m cap hit in '23
Beachum - $2m for 1 year
Will Hernandez - $5m APY for 3 years
Greg Dortch - 1 year $940k
Trysten Hill - $2m for 1 year
Matt Prater - $2.5m for 1 year
Brewer - $1.165m
Pharoah Cooper - $1.08m
Zeke Turner - £1.08m
Rashaad Coward $1.08m
Billy Price - $1.08m
Grugier-Hill - $1.08m
Max Garcia - $1.08m
Corey Clement - $1.08m

A bunch of these guys are depth guys and special teamers but you need these types of players to fill out the roster.

This leaves us with $21.7m and as it stands with a bunch of starters or rotation guys walking including Murphy, Hamilton, Pugh, Niemann, Cody Ford, Maxx Williams, Andy Lee, Vallejo, Dogbe, Wesley, Whitaker, Ledbetter, McSorley.

You can argue about whether to resign Price, or Prater or Clement but if not them then it's someone else for at least that much. But we still only have $22m to play with and we have 2 CB shaped holes, Nuk to replace, no starting Center depending on Leccy Smith. No LG outside Marquise Hayes (who I think should get the chance), no RT unless you start Beachum again. And a JJ Watt shaped hole on the O line. And really need to add more at RB and Edge. And the only linebackers are Simmons, Collins, Grugier-Hill and Turner. So Simmons would have to play a true LB role.

We can free up more cap though by restructuring some of Budda, Hump or Ertz.

Some of these holes can be filled in the draft. For example.

1- Will Anderson - OLB
2 - Dawand Jones - RT
3. Garrett Williams - CB
4. Steve Avila - C
5. Julius Brents - CB

After this it's unlikely to find anyone with a shot of taking serious snaps so I will leave it there. But there will also be Nuks draft capital from a trade.

It's going to be an interesting off season for sure but the new GM is going to have a tough job filling all the holes. It's possible though, but trading Hop is probably a must.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been playing with the OTC roster manager to see what shape we are in cap wise next year because I had the dentist earlier, my face hurts, and I can't be bothered doing any work.

The good news is, with a Hop trade (post June 1st) and cutting Golden and Robbie Anderson while renegotiating Gardeck we could get the cap space to $52m.

Beachum - $2m for 1 year
Brewer - $1.165m
Pharoah Cooper - $1.08m
Zeke Turner - £1.08m
Rashaad Coward $1.08m
Billy Price - $1.08m
Grugier-Hill - $1.08m
Max Garcia - $1.08m
Corey Clement - $1.08m

A bunch of these guys are depth guys and special teamers but you need these types of players to fill out the roster.

This leaves us with $21.7m and as it stands with a bunch of starters or rotation guys walking including Murphy, Hamilton, Pugh, Niemann, Cody Ford, Maxx Williams, Andy Lee, Vallejo, Dogbe, Wesley, Whitaker, Ledbetter, McSorley.

You can argue about whether to resign Price, or Prater or Clement but if not them then it's someone else for at least that much. But we still only have $22m to play with and we have 2 CB shaped holes, Nuk to replace, no starting Center depending on Leccy Smith. No LG outside Marquise Hayes (who I think should get the chance), no RT unless you start Beachum again. And a JJ Watt shaped hole on the O line. And really need to add more at RB and Edge. And the only linebackers are Simmons, Collins, Grugier-Hill and Turner. So Simmons would have to play a true LB role.

1- Will Anderson - OLB
2 - Dawand Jones - RT
3. Garrett Williams - CB
4. Steve Avila - C
5. Julius Brents - CB

After this it's unlikely to find anyone with a shot of taking serious snaps so I will leave it there. But there will also be Nuks draft capital from a trade.

It's going to be an interesting off season for sure but the new GM is going to have a tough job filling all the holes. It's possible though, but trading Hop is probably a must.
only guys I want to resign are Dorch, Allen, Brown, and Murphy

The rest are easily replaceable, or replaceable enough IMO.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
only guys I want to resign are Dorch, Allen, Brown, and Murphy

The rest are easily replaceable, or replaceable enough IMO.

Sure, but your replacing them with equivalent level players so might aswell keep the depth you know right?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but your replacing them with equivalent level players so might aswell keep the depth you know right?
Not really, who is going to know them - whole staff is getting replaced, and new system getting implemented

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BRIT,

I doubt we are trading Dhop post-June first.

We'll want something in this draft, which may be in a round that helps pay for Payton if that comes to fruition.

As it turns out, if we trade him going into the draft, we get $8m Cap relief but have to carry the $22m in this fiscal year.

We actually save more against the Cap ($9m) by restructuring his 2023 salary and lowering his Cap hit from 30 to 20 million.

Click the Dhop $22m under restructuring at Spotrac. This outlines the options.

Don't forget that the draft class will be in the $7m range in 2023.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would anyone keep
Prater?

I had this internal debate and it came down to this.

There is a shortage of NFL quality kickers in the league. Especially ones that can kick 50+ consistently. And Matt Prater finished 10th in FG % this season. He kicked 22 of 25 including 5 of 6 over 50. He had a better % than Justin Tucker and Younghoe Koo.

And I don't want some new HC coming in with a garbage kicker and throwing off the offense. I don't want any excuses for failure.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really, who is going to know them - whole staff is getting replaced, and new system getting implemented

Sure, but they know how to work together. They have existing relationships.

If it's Rashad Coward or some other JAG of equal talent you take the one that already knows Hump, Beachum, Smith etc

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BRIT,

I doubt we are trading Dhop post-June first.

We'll want something in this draft, which may be in a round that helps pay for Payton if that comes to fruition.

As it turns out, if we trade him going into the draft, we get $8m Cap relief but have to carry the $22m in this fiscal year.

We actually save more against the Cap ($9m) by restructuring his 2023 salary and lowering his Cap hit from 30 to 20 million.

Click the Dhop $22m under restructuring at Spotrac. This outlines the options.

Don't forget that the draft class will be in the $7m range in 2023.

My understanding is that he can be traded for pick prior (or during) the draft and the trade designated as post June 1st. It doesn't have to happen post June 1st.

But it couldn't be for 2023 draft picks. We could trade him in March with a post June 1st but only for 2024 picks. Which I think is fine because I think whatever we give up for Payton will be in 2024 so it would help balance it out.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Beachum - $2m for 1 year
Brewer - $1.165m
Pharoah Cooper - $1.08m
Zeke Turner - £1.08m
Rashaad Coward $1.08m
Billy Price - $1.08m
Grugier-Hill - $1.08m
Max Garcia - $1.08m
Corey Clement - $1.08m

1- Will Anderson - OLB
2 - Dawand Jones - RT
3. Garrett Williams - CB
4. Steve Avila - C
5. Julius Brents - CB

You can't post June 1st trade Hopkins unless you actually trade him after June 1st.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't post June 1st trade Hopkins unless you actually trade him after June 1st.

Ok

I don't think it makes a massive difference to us if we trade him post June 1st. There are some things we would normally hold money back for such as rookie contracts and in season buffer that we could spend upfront.

Although you have to have a trade agreement in place and hope Nuk doesn't slip in the shower.

Its going to be a tough ask for a new GM.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was just thinking on this more.

June 1st doesn't matter at all. Trade him before the draft for picks this year and take the $22m cap hit then offset the $11m difference by backloading FAs into next year.

Effectively you're moving $11m of '23 cap into '24 and the end result is the same. Better even as you get the picks this year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

June 1st doesn't matter at all. Trade him before the draft for picks this year and take the $22m cap hit then offset the $11m difference by backloading FAs into next year.

Effectively you're moving $11m of '23 cap into '24 and the end result is the same. Better even as you get the picks this year.

True. And I think a few restructurings and backloaded new deals are already in the envisaged scenario for 2023.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Yes. You gain 8 mil on the cap and then just need to sign some multi-year deals to spread out your spending. You also get access to a larger pool of teams trading before the draft vs after.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The wide receiver group without Hopkins seems lackluster. :shrug:
This team. Consider that it is likely that neither Murphy, Allen, Watt, Beachum nor Hopkins will be on this team next year. Boring AF. (But it is early)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose