Arizona Cardinals off-season. 1/8/23-1/15/23

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Giving up the most Q1 points in NFL history over the first 3 games of the season isn't a contributing factor to sucking? lol Okaaay.

The D sucked. Kyler sucked. Kliffy sucked. Keim sucked. Bill...er, Mikey sucked. This team was a train wreck entering the season, they were a train wreck during the season, and the train wreck fell into a dumpster that then caught on fire once all the injuries piled up.

Are you ******** me? You're saying I'm not factual while spouting this absolute nonsense?

First you said the defense gave up the most points through 3 games. Not close to true.

Now it's "most Q1 points through 3 games in history". We gave up 14, 7 and 10 Q1 points through the first 3 games which again is absolutely not true.

Just a cursory check shows the 2019 Dolphins conceded 21, 7 and 10 in Q1. I'm sure I could find dozens more.

I'm pretty sure your confusing this with least points scored in Q1 which may well be true because Kyler sucked. But can you finally settle on a position and back it up with a reference because the 2 you have taken so far are complete nonsense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Are you ******** me? You're saying I'm not factual while spouting this absolute nonsense?

First you said the defense gave up the most points through 3 games. Not close to true.

Now it's "most Q1 points through 3 games in history". We gave up 14, 7 and 10 Q1 points through the first 3 games which again is absolutely not true.

Just a cursory check shows the 2019 Dolphins conceded 21, 7 and 10 in Q1. I'm sure I could find dozens more.

I'm pretty sure your confusing this with least points scored in Q1 which may well be true because Kyler sucked. But can you finally settle on a position and back it up with a reference because the 2 you have taken so far are complete nonsense.
Right. Kyler plays defense.

Just because I forgot which exact stat showed how historically bad our defense was through the first three games doesn't mean they didn't suck.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. Kyler plays defense.

Just because I forgot which exact stat showed how historically bad our defense was through the first three games doesn't mean they didn't suck.

They did....when injuries started piling up.

Opening day aside against the Chiefs in the 5 games after that we gave up 23, 20, 16, 20, and 19 for an average of 19.6 points conceded per game through those 5. If you want to add in the Chiefs it's still only 23.6 points per game through 6.

We then let the Saints rack up some garbage time points to hit 34 on a game already over (which the defense won for us). From week 7 through the end of the season we gave up 28 points per game when the team was savaged by injuries.

I said that it was time for Kliff to go but he's not the garbage you're making out. His record this year was massively down to injuries.

Heck, even with the garbage we had on the field we were close in many games. 100% with an even reasonable injury load we beat Tampa, Denver and Atlanta. We nearly beat them with the trash we had. That's 7-10 right there.

Factor in the early season games that Kyler lost us with poor games such as the Rams and Seahawks and we're 9-8. With a healthy kicker we beat the Eagles too.

Kliff defo lost us the Chargers game though.

Injuries clearly screwed this season, but I'l also glad of the clean slate. I don't think this roster is far away from being competetive at all.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
They did....when injuries started piling up.

Opening day aside against the Chiefs in the 5 games after that we gave up 23, 20, 16, 20, and 19 for an average of 19.6 points conceded per game through those 5. If you want to add in the Chiefs it's still only 23.6 points per game through 6.

We then let the Saints rack up some garbage time points to hit 34 on a game already over (which the defense won for us). From week 7 through the end of the season we gave up 28 points per game when the team was savaged by injuries.

I said that it was time for Kliff to go but he's not the garbage you're making out. His record this year was massively down to injuries.

Heck, even with the garbage we had on the field we were close in many games. 100% with an even reasonable injury load we beat Tampa, Denver and Atlanta. We nearly beat them with the trash we had. That's 7-10 right there.

Factor in the early season games that Kyler lost us with poor games such as the Rams and Seahawks and we're 9-8. With a healthy kicker we beat the Eagles too.

Kliff defo lost us the Chargers game though.

Injuries clearly screwed this season, but I'l also glad of the clean slate. I don't think this roster is far away from being competetive at all.
So, burying your team in a deficit on defense isn't bad? Combining your defense burying your team in a deficit followed by your offense (run by your "star" QB) giving you nothing is a recipe for a bad football team. Which we were. Injuries made it worse, but we weren't getting anywhere this season regardless.

This roster is clearly in need of major surgery.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, burying your team in a deficit on defense isn't bad? Combining your defense burying your team in a deficit followed by your offense (run by your "star" QB) giving you nothing is a recipe for a bad football team. Which we were. Injuries made it worse, but we weren't getting anywhere this season regardless.

This roster is clearly in need of major surgery.

They conceded 14, 7 and 10 in Q1 the first three games. These are pretty average numbers. The "hole" came from not scoring any at the other end.

If those games were 14-14, 10-7 and 13-10 we wouldn't be talking about them.

Stout

Reaction score
They conceded 14, 7 and 10 in Q1 the first three games. These are pretty average numbers. The "hole" came from not scoring any at the other end.

If those games were 14-14, 10-7 and 13-10 we wouldn't be talking about them.
...which was right on par with what most of us said, that the defense wouldn't be good and the offense would have to outscore opponents to win us game. Then the defense wasn't good, and the offense failed to outscore the other team. Yes, of course if the offense played very well and made up for the defense's deficiencies, we wouldn't be talking about them. They didn't. Both units failed.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Brit has Kyler Derangement Syndrome.

Still insists that despite the entire circus that unfolded this year we'd have been 9-4 if he played well.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
That's actually really bad. Like last in the league as Stout pointed out.

Bad defense? Kyler!
Terrible running game? Kyler!
Coaching staff and GM run amok? Kyler!

It's okay just to say that like basically everyone in the organization not named JJ Watt or Greg Dortch was a joke this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's actually really bad. Like last in the league as Stout pointed out.

Bad defense? Kyler!
Terrible running game? Kyler!
Coaching staff and GM run amok? Kyler!

It's okay just to say that like basically everyone in the organization not named JJ Watt or Greg Dortch was a joke this year.

So 14, 10 and 7 through Q1 is really bad?

The Bengals conceded 10, 14 and 6 through Q1 in their first 3 games. A whole point less. And they are in the playoffs with one of the best defenses in the league. You take away the Chiefs game and it's 7, 10, 0, 7, 3, 7, 7, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 0, 7 for the rest of the season. Completely normal numbers.

This whole Q1 defense things is hilarious. Complete nonsense that someone got in their head early and hasn't let go. The "hole" was the offense which scored 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 3 through the first 7 games and Kyler is holding the shovel.

But everything flows through the QB. Bad QB play = bad team. Every time.

I never said there weren't other issue but there isn't a team in the league without issues. I'm talking about the very real and very obvious fact that injuries cost us a lot of wins this year. That's just plain to see.

Stout

Reaction score
So 14, 10 and 7 through Q1 is really bad?

The Bengals conceded 10, 14 and 6 through Q1 in their first 3 games. A whole point less. And they are in the playoffs with one of the best defenses in the league. You take away the Chiefs game and it's 7, 10, 0, 7, 3, 7, 7, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 0, 7 for the rest of the season. Completely normal numbers.

This whole Q1 defense things is hilarious. Complete nonsense that someone got in their head early and hasn't let go. The "hole" was the offense which scored 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 3 through the first 7 games and Kyler is holding the shovel.

But everything flows through the QB. Bad QB play = bad team. Every time.

I never said there weren't other issue but there isn't a team in the league without issues. I'm talking about the very real and very obvious fact that injuries cost us a lot of wins this year. That's just plain to see.
Okay, Brit.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously dude did you not read the rest of this thread?

Its BS. The defense absolutely did not give up the most points ever through 3 games. Not even close.
He was talking about the START of the game, not the entire game itself.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. He changed mid way through the discussion from the whole game to "Oh well maybe it was just Q1".
He didn't say the entire game, although it could have been implied.

Technically his statement isn't false.

False. Our defense set records for points against in the first three games of an NFL season. Try again.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is both units were below mediocre.
I think the offense was worse than the defense. It wasn’t just one thing. It was the coach, the qb, the play calling, the lack of speed on this offense and the injuries.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson