Assuming no Harbaugh/Payton, who do you want?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some candidates I think should be considered. Not household names but they have made a mark where they are at.

Ejiro Evero, Defensive Coordinator, Broncos
Evero made his first appearance on our list last year. While Denver is still working its way through a new quarterback acquisition, the defense has been dominant. Denver is third in passing yards per attempt, tied for second in passing touchdowns allowed and fourth in first downs allowed via the run. Evero comes from the Rams, where he was the defensive passing game coordinator for the 2021 Super Bowl team. He was one of McVay’s initial hires in L.A. back in ’17.

Brian Callahan, Offensive Coordinator, Bengals
Callahan interviewed for the Broncos’ vacancy a year ago, a job that ended up going to Nathaniel Hackett. Players rave about Callahan’s demeanor and the way he can grip their attention in meeting rooms. Joe Burrow praised the offensive staff as one that effectively avoids micromanaging. The son of legendary offensive line guru Bill Callahan, Brian held various coaching assistant roles in Denver during the Peyton Manning era before taking QB-centric roles in Detroit (2016–17) and Oakland (’18). One former NFL coach who knows Callahan well says Callahan “has a great personality, is really smart, relates to players well and is creative.” Bengals head coach Zac Taylor tells us: “One of the smartest guys I’ve ever been around. He has a tremendous IQ, his background growing up in a coaching home, all the success he’s experienced. … He brought that to Cincinnati to help us become a winning team.”

Ben Johnson, Offensive Coordinator, Lions
Any time you hear the m-word—“McVay,” that is—thrown around in a conversation about coaches, your ears perk up. Johnson, who is not from the McVay coaching tree but is viewed as an up-and-coming young offensive mind, has carved out a niche as a future offensive trendsetter all on his own. The former walk-on QB at North Carolina broke into the NFL back in 2012 with the Dolphins and has helped the Lions transform into the second-highest-scoring offense in the NFL through three weeks. If there is a surprise name in this cycle, it will be Johnson’s. He also worked under a hard nose HC in Dan Campbell.

Ken Dorsey, Offensive Coordinator, Bills
The Bills’ offensive coordinator is picking up right where Brian Daboll left off. Fiery? Sure. Talented? No doubt. Dorsey was on staff for the near-undefeated, NFC champion 2015 Panthers as well.

Mike Kafka, Offensive Coordinator, Giants
Kafka was behind Eric Bieniemy in Kansas City and needed an opportunity to break out. Unfortunately for Kafka, Bieniemy never got a head coaching job despite a good deal of interviews. Potentially the next hire off the Andy Reid tree, Kafka is already making his mark in East Rutherford, letting loose Saquon Barkley and helping repair the damage sustained by Daniel Jones after a few rough seasons.
Are you suggesting one of these guys for head coach?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it’s a bunch of folks on the older side on this forum, but one day you guys will realize that this isn’t middle school football or Army basic training & coaches will just yell at these men like there they’re own child.

This ain’t the “well back in my day” mentality you want it to be.

Truth, it wasn't that long ago that I had to Google "Netflix and chill". It doesn't mean what I thought it did.. lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know it’s a bunch of folks on the older side on this forum, but one day you guys will realize that this isn’t middle school football or Army basic training & coaches will just yell at these men like there they’re own child.

Hates boomers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What about Nick Sirianni? Perhaps he can help bring the best out of Kyler?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this thought but I’m not certain he fits with turning Murray around. He’s very defense oriented. That is not to say the Cards‘ D doesn’t need tons of work. I just think trying to fix Murray has to be priority one.

For sure he needs an OC but I'd be happy with Jim Caldwell who he knows through Miami. I believe Caldwell was his original OC but had to step away for personal reasons.

But my understanding is that Caldwell is looking for work again and I think he'd be great for Kyler. He's a very talented QB coach and OC. Anyone that can make Joe Flacco win a Superbowl is elite.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think there is a difference between holding people accountable and screaming at people that gets missed. I agree that we need our next coach to hold players more accountable than Kliff did.
there is a weird "Kyler must be punished" vibe as well

people want him to take a Cerisi like walk of shame down Hardy or something

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a weird "Kyler must be punished" vibe as well

people want him to take a Cerisi like walk of shame down Hardy or something
I think most just wants Kyler to be the best he can be. Kid gloves hasn’t worked and I don’t think a sledgehammer approach is the way to go.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope the GM we hire has a guy in mind. Choosing a head coach based on resume alone is a crap shoot.

otherwise we're stuck with:

"This teams offense was good, let's hire their OC"

"this guy failed as a head coach a decade ago, he's ready for another shot"

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think most just wants Kyler to be the best he can be. Kid gloves hasn’t worked and I don’t think a sledgehammer approach is the way to go.

It's not that hard.

Have a better answer to the question, WHY?... than he already has in his head.

And the answer to WHY? is never 'because I say so.'

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t think punished, at least not initially, but more structure and discipline has to be established.
I want someone who will challenge Kyler Murray to get better. Someone who will challenge Kyler Murray to put in the work that is necessary to be the best player he can be.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It all comes back to accountability and at every level. Will the GM be held accountable? The HC? The coordinators? The players? If there is accountability at every level then the floor for the team starts much higher regardless of talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm on the younger side in comparison to the rest of the board, and I think you'll realize that there's a middle ground, where these young men need to see some accountability.

A kid like Kyler needs to grow up a bit. Coaches will have to push him. Interested to see where our approaches go, man.
Right. Accountability doesn’t mean being yelled at. I think it’s weird that some people equate the two.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Accountability has to be a focus! Kliff was probably the most player friendly coach ever . These guys got victory mondays, tuesdays, Wednesdays and thursdays . And they won 4 games! There is a reason they had so many pre snap issues and never seemed in sync. Making guys do the work all week to earn playing time is not an old person thing it’s a human nature thing.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No more 1st time NFL head coaches. We need someone with a proven track record/pedigree.

Its not the head coach, but the entire staff under the head coach that makes the team.

From the position coaches to the guy upstairs in the booth, to the quality control assistant that prepares each game the week before, to the scouts that scouts out the opposing team looking for tendencies.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Thoughts on Leslie Frazier? I like the idea of bringing in someone with some head coaching experience.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the next HC tries to make Murray accountable to the team and his craft, one of two things will probably happen, Murray will either continue down the path of woulda, coulda, shoulda or will elevate his game and become a complete QB.