Cardinals restructure J.J. Watt’s contract to spread out remaining cap hit

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, the Cards actually still have 2.5M in cap space. The 'good' move would have been to move some of that money into this year to lessen the impact of further years.
Would they be able to do that?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if they're able to resign Allen, there is a giant gaping hole left from our best defensive lineman (and best defensive player) retiring.
Which is why I think Carter is their #1 target in the draft.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? The year hasn't closed.
So I found this...Seems they can actually roll over unused cap space to the next year. At least that's how I read it.

And on Over The Cap the table showed Cards with 5 million effective cap space left. Doesn't have a date, so I think its a table that updates regularly...but I'm not experience with their site at all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I found this...Seems they can actually roll over unused cap space to the next year. At least that's how I read it.

I have read that before two, but the two major sites that I have used in the past (overthecap and spotrac) don't seem to track any rolled over cap space.
And on Over The Cap the table showed Cards with 5 million effective cap space left. Doesn't have a date, so I think its a table that updates regularly...but I'm not experience with their site at all.

I use Spotrac that says 2.5.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah, Spotrac does show rollovers. It's the one I use. No idea if there is a limit to how much a team can rollover into a following year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, Spotrac does show rollovers. It's the one I use. No idea if there is a limit to how much a team can rollover into a following year.
There isn't, but teams have to elect the rollover, so some sources might not show it un future seasons?

There's no limit on the amount teams can roll over, but there's a floor on how much teams have to pay against the cap, and it's like 80% of the rolling three- or five-year cap or something.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn't, but teams have to elect the rollover, so some sources might not show it un future seasons?

There's no limit on the amount teams can roll over, but there's a floor on how much teams have to pay against the cap, and it's like 80% of the rolling three- or five-year cap or something.
That's the number I remember too. They have to spend at least 80% of their cap on players.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good move. It will give the new GM more money to sign players in free agency plus resign some of their own.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose