The Rebuild Theory

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m not ready to buy the Cards are going into re-build mode. First I am optomistic about Murray’s return. I’ve seen several players mature considerably during a rehab. It could go the other way, but I’m leaning towards a better Murray who rehabs amazingly fast. Instances are limited but QBs have the highest percent (92) of return to play of any position. Assuming the Cards are okay at QB, the early draft pick changes everything. I’m still thinking the Cards should move down. Hernandez will likely re-sign. If you’ve had a bad experience, you go where you know you fit. I don’t think the Kugler dismissal impacts him. Pugh is up in the air. Only about 64% return to play and he’s been hurt often. This will be a good year for free agent guards. This will also be a good year to draft a center. Certainly good ones in round 2 and decent options are likely there in early round 3. I’m guessing the draft might look like this. Cater goes to the Bears. It wouldn’t ruin my day if Anderson is taken by the Cards but I’d trade down. If they do, I’d take Bresee in round 1. They’d now have two second round early picks. I’d take a CB. With such a deep pool there are tons of good CBs to be had. You could then go Edge, Ojulari or Carter. They could instead take Ika at DT. They could take a Center or a Guard, Vorhees might still be there. There will be lots of drops due to pool depth. The third round will have decent IOL options. The Cards could possibly also have 2 early third round picks. Later I’d be looking at possible play makers like RB Roschon Johnson or WR Ali Jennings in round 4. I might take Michigan kicker, Moody with a fourth or fifth if one came in the trade.

My point is this is an extraordinarily deep draft. If everything fell right I believe the Cards with this trade down strategy could actually contend for the playoffs next season. They need to re-sign Allen & Murphy. If they keep Hopkins they have 3 excellent WRs & 2 solid TEs. Ertz was always a hands guy not a speed guy so he should be fine. I’m okay if McCoy has to start 3-4 games if need be. Simmons & Collins both improved. Even I have to admit Wilson looked better. Safety looks fine. Free agency could be used to bolster the LBs. Too early to surrender heading into a draft like this one.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don’t think we have any other choice but to count on Murray to bounce back.
I highly doubt we are going to blow this up on a major rebuild.
This offense could and should be fixed this off season. Work on building the interior of the o- line and add speed to the rb room.
That and a new head coach will at least make us exciting to watch and competitive. If Murray falls short McCoy will not carry this team to the playoffs.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I agree, this is a great draft to get well in. My only fear is that it is the Cards that are selecting. True, it isn't going to be Keim. But let's all pray that his draft spirit doesn't haunt us in our future drafts.

I don't mind the trade back, but only if it is with a team that has high picks in each round. I see a big difference in many players when you compare them 25 picks apart. I think trading with a team with top 10 picks each round would be great for us. I even feel better about that than putting so much into 1 high pick. You just never know what can happen with any single pick, injury alone can break your heart.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends on talent evaluation development and Lady Luck. But if we are assured of drafting or acquiring franchise-level talent, how could we not do it?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The right coach and GM could fix this team fairly quickly.
Yes, but I don't see it in 2023. Huge gaping holes in the roster, not enough cap space to address enough in FA, and our young QB who isn't nearly ready to be a good QB is focused on physical rehab and likely won't be back up to speed, let alone improved enough, next season, if ever.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How many more wins do you think a Sean Payton could of had with this same decimated Cardinals team is season?
Hmm...I'd guess a higher functioning HC probably could have pulled out 2-3 more wins

Vikings, Chargers, Eagles, Rams, and Seahawks (x2) game were all winnable. Let's say they win half, that's 3 more wins.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't see it in 2023. Huge gaping holes in the roster, not enough cap space to address enough in FA, and our young QB who isn't nearly ready to be a good QB is focused on physical rehab and likely won't be back up to speed, let alone improved enough, next season, if ever.
Right now yes, but they have a ton of money in 2024, so much so that they could easily push some cap dollars this year. It's not that crazy.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Hmm...I'd guess a higher functioning HC probably could have pulled out 2-3 more wins

Vikings, Chargers, Eagles, Rams, and Seahawks (x2) game were all winnable. Let's say they win half, that's 3 more wins.
Fair enough. Do you think people (fans) would be happy with a 6 or 7 win season from a highly qualified top paid head coach?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fair enough. Do you think people (fans) would be happy with a 6 or 7 win season from a highly qualified top paid head coach?
Forgot to also mention the Bucs game as well.

No I wouldn't be happy with 6-7 wins but when you have as many injuries as the Cardinals have had, it's a tall task to win many games.

But still the Cardinals have lost a ton of close games and good late game decision making has been a missing ingredient.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
these days-- "rebuilds" dont take 3-5 years. They can be done in an offseason or two

I agree on Murray returning to physical form. I also think a fresh start offense wise and some time to reflect could be a positive.

That said, I still believe though that the team needs to plan for at least the first 6 weeks of the season without him. Curious if the Cards get an earlier bye -- like week 7 -- if the return would coincide with coming off their bye week.

the six weeks isnt just Murray -- i am assuming a new coach, and i want the offense with 6 weeks of experience in picking up blitzes, etc before you put Kyler back there.

Stout

Reaction score
Right now yes, but they have a ton of money in 2024, so much so that they could easily push some cap dollars this year. It's not that crazy.
Not saying it's crazy. I just don't see it as viable. We'd have to push a ton of money into 2024 and rely on more (and more expensive) FAs to plug those holes. I would much rather not push a ton of money into 2024, use 2023 as a rebuild year, and come out strong in 2024. And pray that we somehow luck into a good GM/coach combo and somehow get Kyler to turn his head around.

Stout

Reaction score
these days-- "rebuilds" dont take 3-5 years. They can be done in an offseason or two

I agree on Murray returning to physical form. I also think a fresh start offense wise and some time to reflect could be a positive.

That said, I still believe though that the team needs to plan for at least the first 6 weeks of the season without him. Curious if the Cards get an earlier bye -- like week 7 -- if the return would coincide with coming off their bye week.

the six weeks isnt just Murray -- i am assuming a new coach, and i want the offense with 6 weeks of experience in picking up blitzes, etc before you put Kyler back there.
Indeed. Take 2023 as a wash, use the money saved and picks accumulated to make a push again in 2024, and pray everything goes right with the QB and a new GM and coach.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This sounds like a Miller Keim bandaid fix strategy. Factoring Kyler's injury I'd much rather save the 2024 cap for 2024. Start by drafting only the trenches this year to build both of them up. We all know it's needed. Then use that money in 2024 to fill in what holes remain after the '23 and '24 drafts. Set the team up for the next 10 years instead of playing whack-a-mole every year and staying mediocre.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trading down gets you the most bang for your buck, however it is hard sell to the fan base who only acknowledge the players you could have taken. The Cardinals will take an edge rusher and hope he pans out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure but that goes both ways for wins too… like the raiders game we had no business winning and if losses to the Hawks by ten twice count as winnable games, can’t you say the same for our relatively putrid performance against Carolina that we won by 10 or the amazing scrubs v. scrubs 10 point win over the Rams.

ifs and nuts can be candy nuts either way for wins or losses. Team is what the record says it is, IMO.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
New eyes for Murray? So he can read progressions? And not throw off his back foot? And throw the ball away when appropriate? That's all on Kyler. He is in is 4th year and has regressed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New eyes for Murray? So he can read progressions? And not throw off his back foot? And throw the ball away when appropriate? That's all on Kyler. He is in is 4th year and has regressed.
Yep. A good coach can fix all of that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure but that goes both ways for wins too… like the raiders game we had no business winning and if losses to the Hawks by ten twice count as winnable games, can’t you say the same for our relatively putrid performance against Carolina that we won by 10 or the amazing scrubs v. scrubs 10 point win over the Rams.

ifs and nuts can be candy nuts either way for wins or losses. Team is what the record says it is, IMO.
I think it's incredibly pessimistic to take this view, because the Cardinals have been BAAAAAD in close games this year. As we all know, over time, teams tend to deviate towards the mean on close games.

This year the Cardinals sucked, next year they might not. Or they go .500 in close games.