New Owner - Mat Ishbia

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I really would like a GM that actually cares about the draft. Presti might care a bit to much though.
We all know that JJ prioritizes vets over rookies but I'm hoping, should he still have control or influence, that the extreme position we adopted against youth was mostly a byproduct of Sarver's financial oversight.

Regardless of whose final call it was, we need a G League team, we need an emphasis on college and international scouting, we need an upgraded player development staff and we need to be working towards these things immediately. You win today with veterans but you need younger players in the pipeline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all know that JJ prioritizes vets over rookies but I'm hoping, should he still have control or influence, that the extreme position we adopted against youth was mostly a byproduct of Sarver's financial oversight.

Regardless of whose final call it was, we need a G League team, we need an emphasis on college and international scouting, we need an upgraded player development staff and we need to be working towards these things immediately. You win today with veterans but you need younger players in the pipeline.

It would be nice to have a G-League team, but I'm not totally convinced it is necessary.

However, I'd want the extra money saved on not having one, spent on scouting and player development.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a G-League team (of course I would support it), but I'm not totally convinced it is necessary.

However, I'd want the extra money saved on not having one, spent on scouting and player development.
Part of player development is playing time, not having a G League team makes that problematic. We sent Smith away to get some PT but it was a different system, it didn't feel the need to work with a player that wouldn't benefit that organization and ultimately he failed there because it wasn't our guys. Not every G league story turns into a Siakam or Middleton but a lot of player development is happening at that level and we're missing out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of player development is playing time, not having a G League team makes that problematic. We sent Smith away to get some PT but it was a different system, it didn't feel the need to work with a player that wouldn't benefit that organization and ultimately he failed there because it wasn't our guys. Not every G league story turns into a Siakam or Middleton but a lot of player development is happening at that level and we're missing out.

I've always been a believer in having a G-League team but if I had to make a choice, I'd rather spend the extra money on scouting: college, overseas and NBA.

There are players like Cam Payne, Rachaun Holmes, Jock Landale Josh Okogie and Duane Washington that can slip through the cracks.

Two way-contracts have given teams a couple extra spots for development.

Edit: should read Washington.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Presti has been amazing.

You have to remember what Harden became was not what he was at the time. They kind of forced his hand at the time and Harden was god awful in those finals.

They were 2 million apart in their contract negotiations... they dumped an MVP over 2 million per year. Posters here were stunned with how little they got. They also had the amnesty provision in their hands and a waste of money in Kendrick Perkins they could have gotten out from (also, they traded FOR Perkins on that contract when he was a shell of himself after tearing his ACL).

He sure can load up on draft picks... I will give him that, but they got nothing for KD, and a pittance for Harden.

Now they're in year 4 of a rebuild, still in the cellar and their top pick is, unsurprisingly, already suffering severe injuries. They're spinning their wheels, SGA will probably demand out soon too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They choose to pay and keep Perkins over giving Harden 2 million dollars a year more. And Harden was only 23, in his 3rd year in the league and was a killer in the Western Conference playoffs which helped them make those Finals. Where he was terrible.

But again, he was only 23 and just starting to scratch the surface AND not looking to break the bank. It was a total JJ situation. An absolutely idiotic, penny pinching decision that I’m sure Presti would love a do-over of over any move he’s ever made.

The GM don’t control the dollars

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were 2 million apart in their contract negotiations... they dumped an MVP over 2 million per year. Posters here were stunned with how little they got. They also had the amnesty provision in their hands and a waste of money in Kendrick Perkins they could have gotten out from (also, they traded FOR Perkins on that contract when he was a shell of himself after tearing his ACL).

He sure can load up on draft picks... I will give him that, but they got nothing for KD, and a pittance for Harden.

Now they're in year 4 of a rebuild, still in the cellar and their top pick is, unsurprisingly, already suffering severe injuries. They're spinning their wheels, SGA will probably demand out soon too.

Your right he sucks

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've always been a believer in having a G-League team but if I had to make a choice, I'd rather spend the extra money on scouting: college, overseas and NBA.

There are players like Cam Payne, Rachaun Holmes, Jock Landale Josh Okogie and Duane Washintout that can slip through the cracks.

Two way-contracts have given teams a couple extra spots for development.

Two-Way contracts are nice but we need the other side of that Two-Way deal to maximize their benefit. If we could have Washington and Ish being featured regularly on a G-League team in roles we hope they can have on the main roster then we'd be maximizing the value of those deals. As of now they're basically cheap practice bodies because they're not making legit NBA money yet they're up on the main roster as practice bodies because we don't have a team to send them to in order to develop and get real reps.

The Suns desperately need a G league team and getting rid of theirs with the rise and prominence of Two-Way contracts will be something highlighted as one of Sarver's cheapest moves as owners in a few years when his tenure is in the rear view. The Suns are at a disadvantage compared to every other team in the league until that's rectified.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two-Way contracts are nice but we need the other side of that Two-Way deal to maximize their benefit. If we could have Washington and Ish being featured regularly on a G-League team in roles we hope they can have on the main roster then we'd be maximizing the value of those deals. As of now they're basically cheap practice bodies because they're not making legit NBA money yet they're up on the main roster as practice bodies because we don't have a team to send them to in order to develop and get real reps.

The Suns desperately need a G league team and getting rid of theirs with the rise and prominence of Two-Way contracts will be something highlighted as one of Sarver's cheapest moves as owners in a few years when his tenure is in the rear view. The Suns are at a disadvantage compared to every other team in the league until that's rectified.

Yeah... hopefully the new owners address this. It was very disappointing when Sarver dissolved the Suns G-League investment. Granted, it had yielded little return, but a lot of that had to do with the Suns themselves basically being a developmental team.

Now, with the Suns as a contender, a G-League would be an invaluable tool.

Without a G-League team we're in this miserable spot where we stupidly give young guys away because we have no ability to develop them, while at the same time being utterly screwed when plagued by a rash of minor injuries (as we are now) and essentially being unable to field a real team.

Sarver... 'freaking' Sarver.

Hopefully his finest moment as an owner will be selling to people who actually are driven to win.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You guys do know that even though we as an org isn't operating a G-League team, we can send our guys to other teams for G-League, right? The main reason we haven't this year is because we are so injured, we can't afford to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys do know that even though we as an org isn't operating a G-League team, we can send our guys to other teams for G-League, right? The main reason we haven't this year is because we are so injured, we can't afford to.
Yeah I just mentioned it a few posts ago along with the reason it doesn't work. If that had been our own G League team there's a fair chance that Jalen Smith would still be under contract here. Remember they basically benched him because it was all about winning for the G team and Smith wasn't helping in that area so there was no value in leaving him there.

If it's not part of your organization, they aren't incentivized to train or play our guys whereas our own G League team would be expected to prioritize development of key players over wins. Plus there's the added advantage that the minor league team can/should mirror the systems played by the big league club and the big league team can instruct how they want players brought along (what to focus on).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for a G-league team but I think improved scouting is the most important if I had to make a choice between the two.

Getting playing time for two-way players with the big club has not been the problem except for perhaps Smith's first season.

If a two-way player can get playing time with the big club, I think it's far more valuable. Scouting players, signing undrafted free agents and using draft picks to improve the team, needs to be emphasized.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for a G-league team but I think improved scouting is the most important if I had to make a choice between the two.

Getting playing time for two-way players with the big club has not been the problem except for perhaps Smith's first season.

If a two-way player can get playing time with the big club, I think it's far more valuable. Scouting players, signing undrsafted free agents and using draft picks
G-League/Better scouting shouldn’t be an either or option. It should be better scouting AND G-league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G-League/Better scouting shouldn’t be an either or option. It should be better scouting AND G-league.

I agree but I do better see James Jones point of view:

"Devin is great, but there are 50 skeletons tied to that swing for the star." James Jones

G-League team or not, an increased focus on scouting is critical.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's how its gonna happen.
NO Scouting NO G League let the other teams figure out whos good then throw all the money at them.
If we don't have KD, SGA, and Giannis on the Suns by the end of the year this guy doesn't want to win enough.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If a two-way player can get playing time with the big club, I think it's far more valuable. Scouting players, signing undrafted free agents and using draft picks to improve the team, needs to be emphasized.
With the Sun's profitablility, not doing both is not being fully committed to winning a championship.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the Sun's profitablility, not doing both is not being fully committed to winning a championship.
What makes you think they are profitable? They are paying a fair bit of tax this year, and are likely to have to pay significantly more next year, and even more the next year due to the escalating taxes, and the fact Ayton, Bridges, Bookers, and likely Cam Johnsons contracts all have multiple years to go.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think they are profitable? They are paying a fair bit of tax this year, and are likely to have to pay significantly more next year, and even more the next year due to the escalating taxes, and the fact Ayton, Bridges, Bookers, and likely Cam Johnsons contracts all have multiple years to go.
They are profitable. With the amount of TV Revenue, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc, they are.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They are profitable. With the amount of TV Revenue, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc, they are.
I'm guessing every team is profitable simply because of the TV revenue, not to mention luxury tax payments and sponsorships like you said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm willing to give the new owners some flexibility since they just purchased the team.

I like the idea of having another G-League team but I'm not convinced this is the only way to do it.

What I never want compromised is scouting. It's amazing how many good players can be siphoned off of other teams including their G-League affiliates.

When there is another Cam Payne or Duane Washington that becomes available, I want that player. The Suns need to invest more resources in the draft and undrafted free agents. There are steals to be had like Ayo Dosunmu in the second round

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What better way to advertise your Morgage company then at a G-league. I'm not in the know but instead of giving out a 3% loan you give it out at 7%. Is that not good?