New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns were not profitable Sarver would have sold years ago. I bet, even in our crappiest years, the Suns were making enough from TV alone to cover all their expenses.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm willing to give the new owners some flexibility since they just purchased the team.

I like the idea of having another G-League team but I'm not convinced this is the only way to do it.

What I never want compromised is scouting. It's amazing how many good players can be siphoned off of other teams including their G-League affiliates.

When there is another Cam Payne or Duane Washington that becomes available, I want that player. The Suns need to invest more resources in the draft and undrafted free agents. There are steals to be had like Ayo Dosunmu in the second round
A G-league team is really low on my priority list.

The odds it will produce a truly impact player for you is slim at best.

Scouting is a much higher priority, especially international scouting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns were not profitable Sarver would have sold years ago. I bet, even in our crappiest years, the Suns were making enough from TV alone to cover all their expenses.
He wasn't paying tax in the vast majority of years like he is this year.

Gambo said Sarver was basically known to be willing to break even on a yearly basis, but he didn't want to lose money. He always knew the way he would make money on the team is when he sold it - and he was right.

I don't know if they are profitable or not this year, but I am pretty sure in this market if you get up to above 50 million in tax I really doubt the team makes money at that, because our sponsorship and local tv deals, and ticket/suite income are pretty subpar compared to big markets.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Gambo said Sarver was basically known to be willing to break even on a yearly basis, but he didn't want to lose money. He always knew the way he would make money on the team is when he sold it - and he was right.

I don't know if they are profitable or not this year, but I am pretty sure in this market if you get up to above 50 million in tax I really doubt the team makes money at that, because our sponsorship and local tv deals, and ticket/suite income are pretty subpar compared to big markets.
That’s simply not true. Tv deals (national and local) are worth far more than 50m.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
What better way to advertise your Morgage company then at a G-league. I'm not in the know but instead of giving out a 3% loan you give it out at 7%. Is that not good?
I can see it now - the Suns new G-League affiliate, the Albuquerque Underwriters.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both are high on my priority list but I'd agree that an investment in scouting is more important than the minor league team. But it shouldn't be an either or, both should be targets for our overall improvement. There are only two organizations that have no minor league affiliation and as far as I know, we are the only organization that treats scouting like it's a disease.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having a G-League would be nice but finding the talent is the most important.

The last second round pick the Suns hit big on was Goran Dragic.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're roughly $17 million over the tax threshold. They can trim that down before the year is over and I bet they will. Still that's just $34 million in luxury tax payments. While hefty, it won't break them. If they can somehow dump Crowder for nothing in return that gets them to around $6 million over and $12 million in tax. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the hold up, JJ has to find Crowder a home without taking on salary in return or trim the tax bill by including Saric in a Crowder deal to get us close to even.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s simply not true. Tv deals (national and local) are worth far more than 50m.
The national tv deal is calculated into the salary cap, that money is basically used up in salaries. Remember it's not just Suns players salaries, there is all the coaches, trainers, front office staff, and arena workers that have to be paid too.

There is a reason most owners don't want to pay tax, it's because it makes the team a money loser in most markets.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They're roughly $17 million over the tax threshold. They can trim that down before the year is over and I bet they will. Still that's just $34 million in luxury tax payments. While hefty, it won't break them. If they can somehow dump Crowder for nothing in return that gets them to around $6 million over and $12 million in tax. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the hold up, JJ has to find Crowder a home without taking on salary in return or trim the tax bill by including Saric in a Crowder deal to get us close to even.

If they trim that down that means they aren't trying to win this year. I don't think that is the case. I expect any moves we make will keep the money the same or increase it if we use the exception we have in hand. I don't think the Suns management are nearly as pessimistic as the fan base at our chances this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
G-League/Better scouting shouldn’t be an either or option. It should be better scouting AND G-league.
Honestly. Gleague is a lot of money invested for players that are usually 12-15 in the depth chart. Rarely does a player come out of g-league and make real impact. That same energy put into the draft, scouting bench players on other teams, and international players is probably better spent.

I was really in favor of the G-league when it looked like it would be a path to the league for high school players who did not want to go the college route. That does not seem to be panning out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly. Gleague is a lot of money invested for players that are usually 12-15 in the depth chart. Rarely does a player come out of g-league and make real impact. That same energy put into the draft, scouting bench players on other teams, and international players is probably better spent.

I was really in favor of the G-league when it looked like it would be a path to the league for high school players who did not want to go the college route. That does not seem to be panning out.
Again, there is NO REASON both shouldn’t happen. You’re arguing for something that shouldn’t need to be an either or situation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you're judging the G League as a finished product rather than something that's still early in its growth curve. As participation rules continue to evolve along with international expansion (Mexico City), this really isn't the same G League it was just 5 years ago. Sure, most of the big names will be coming out of the Invite team but that's just a starting point with attracting young talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, there is NO REASON both shouldn’t happen. You’re arguing for something that shouldn’t need to be an either or situation.
I don’t understand why this is difficult to understand. The same people don’t need to oversee both. Hire experts in both. Leave no stone unturned. There are diamonds in both areas, look at both. If the bucks had neglected one or the other they would’ve missed out on either Giannis (a surprise pick in the first round) or middleton (from g-league).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons the Dodgers are so successful is they put money into EVERYTHING

Scouting. Resources at the minor league levels that most franchises don't. International presence. And of course, resigning/signing

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t understand why this is difficult to understand. The same people don’t need to oversee both. Hire experts in both. Leave no stone unturned. There are diamonds in both areas, look at both. If the bucks had neglected one or the other they would’ve missed out on either Giannis (a surprise pick in the first round) or middleton (from g-league).
If Middleton spent time on GLeage, it was only a week or so. Milwaukee got him as a throw in in the Brandon Knight trade. Listen. I get your point. However, if it's just for sending players down to get a week or two of development, having a GLeague team is not necessary. If the league changes the rules and allows the league to actually be used for long term development of players, it would be more useful. If players forgoe college like in baseball for the GLeague, it would be well worth it. If that is the future, then by all means go for a GLeague team. But that is a lot of ifs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Middleton spent time on GLeage, it was only a week or so. Milwaukee got him as a throw in in the Brandon Knight trade. Listen. I get your point. However, if it's just for sending players down to get a week or two of development, having a GLeague team is not necessary. If the league changes the rules and allows the league to actually be used for long term development of players, it would be more useful. If players forgoe college like in baseball for the GLeague, it would be well worth it. If that is the future, then by all means go for a GLeague team. But that is a lot of ifs.
Almost half the players in the NBA at the start of this season have spent time in the G League. It has value now, it will have more in the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to figure out if they are the predator or prey. I'm not seeing a hungry team right now.

I wish the sale of the Suns were complete, so we see who James Jones is under a new owner.

The Suns have much bigger worries than a G-League team at the moment. They need to add more talent and depth to their current roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is the Suns window may have closed and we are looking at a similar situation to the Jazz.

It's hard to know with all the injuries and a roster that was never improved from last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is the Suns window may have closed and we are looking at a similar situation to the Jazz.

It's hard to know with all the injuries and a roster that was never improved from last season.

The Jazz situation was different because their 2 stars hated each other. One of their stars was older also in Gobert. We have another 2-3 years before we need to pull a Utah and blow it up. Phoenix is also a much more desirable location than Salt Lake City. So retooling around Booker and Ayton should be much easier than doing so in SLC around Gobert and Mitchell. Utah never signed big free agents, even role players stayed away. They only added talent by the draft and trade then they'd need to overpay to keep people.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Given good health I believe we did improve from last season. Not by much and certainly not enough to overcome CP3's health problems (and potential decline) not to mention the holdout of Crowder, the injury to CamJ, the health of Booker and the loss of several other players on the team.

If we get everyone back and in full health, our postseason success will depend on the same thing it did the last two years - keeping CP3 healthy. Since history says that isn't going to happen, I just don't see a reasonable move that makes us anymore than a team in need of great fortune come playoff time. We need another star and we need to do it without giving up too much of our current core (Booker, Bridges, Ayton, CamJ and CamP) and our future picks.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I think with all of the drama and injuries we’ve had, I’m not expecting both of those situations to be fixed and stable long enough to make a deep run. I’d love to be pleasantly surprised but I’m not very confident

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose