POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I believe this is the only way you can sell the fanbase that it isn't the organization's fault. You have to bring in someone so competent that if they move off Kyler, the fans believe the team made the correct choice. (easier said than done however)

I dunno. I don't get the impression that the fanbase is so latched onto Kyler Murray that we couldn't move on really quickly if someone decided to pull the trigger. Kyler hasn't done much to make the Valley fall in love with him (maybe moving here full time would be a start). I think you'd need a year to see if it works; it would be weird to see a Jay Cutler/Josh McDaniels-esque move on, but it's not impossible.

yes, but if Payton believed that today he (supposedly) wouldnt have made his interest know. Any candidate walking in saying "get rid of Kyler" eliminates himself.

K1's contract pretty much makes 2023 and 2024 mandatory. His play will make it clear to the fan base that he is or isn't the answer.

Okay, but then you're putting an additional filter on the quality of candidates your looking for, because I don't think that every head coach wants to work with Kyler Murray. And it's possible that they'll really not want to work with Kyler Murray after a year.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont think money is the challenge to bring Payton to the Cards

its the discomfort to Mike B in bringing in an outsider to run the FO
Gee I don’t know if after 75+ years of basically having “safe” internal folks run on the proverbial owners hamster wheel just to give the owner a warm blanket, MB needs to do his best George Constanza and for once do the opposite and get a complete blood infusion from a different blood type. Can’t be any worse

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked to see the team make a run at David Shaw. He is still young and commands a great deal of respect. I don't know that it would work, but he has the reputation of a "leader of men" and a solid communicator.

This would probably be in the world of firing Keim, Kliff and promoting a GM from within.

Again, not saying I love or hate this, but I feel like it will be considered.

I've thought the same. Simply because he has NFL experience, albeit 15 years old.

Not sure they could get away with a guy that's 1-8 this year though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sean also knows that Kyler isn’t a student of the game and Herbert likely is.

It's not really a competition is it.

Herbert broke the all time QB record for passing TD's in first 3 season yesterday ind in the next few games he will break the all time yards record too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno. I don't get the impression that the fanbase is so latched onto Kyler Murray that we couldn't move on really quickly if someone decided to pull the trigger. Kyler hasn't done much to make the Valley fall in love with him (maybe moving here full time would be a start). I think you'd need a year to see if it works; it would be weird to see a Jay Cutler/Josh McDaniels-esque move on, but it's not impossible.

Okay, but then you're putting an additional filter on the quality of candidates your looking for, because I don't think that every head coach wants to work with Kyler Murray. And it's possible that they'll really not want to work with Kyler Murray after a year.

I think it's already going to be a very restrictive search. There are already massive questions over Kyler's handling of THIS offense. Which is basically NFL offenses for Dummies. The only way it could get simpler is it is was written in crayon.

It may even save Kliff's job. I truly believe that Kyler is very limited in systems he can run, I just don't see him being able to handle that Payton play call Drew Brees talks about above. The Org must know that and decide that one more year with Kliff is worth more likely to suceed than the complete overhaul someone like Payton would require.

But with a sticking plaster put in place to say they did something. Like an OC.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not really a competition is it.

Herbert broke the all time QB record for passing TD's in first 3 season yesterday ind in the next few games he will break the all time yards record too.
Herbert is incredible, but he walked in to a team where old man Rivers threw for 4500 yards the year before. The Chargers solidifying the Oline with good present/future talent helps make them attractive as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herbert is incredible, but he walked in to a team where old man Rivers threw for 4500 yards the year before. The Chargers solidifying the Oline with good present/future talent helps make them attractive as well.

There isn't coach, analyst, GM, owner or waterboy in the league that would take Kyler over Herbert. I imagine given the option most fans on this board would trade Herbert for Kyler in a straight swap.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it's already going to be a very restrictive search. There are already massive questions over Kyler's handling of THIS offense. Which is basically NFL offenses for Dummies. The only way it could get simpler is it is was written in crayon.

It may even save Kliff's job. I truly believe that Kyler is very limited in systems he can run, I just don't see him being able to handle that Payton play call Drew Brees talks about above. The Org must know that and decide that one more year with Kliff is worth more likely to suceed than the complete overhaul someone like Payton would require.

But with a sticking plaster put in place to say they did something. Like an OC.
It's a cliche, but good coaches are teachers. You install the base level of your offense and then start overlaying complexity as the personnel can handle it. I think part of the problem with Kliff/Air Raid philosophies is that they're developed to be installed easily and stay simple because you're working with collegiate athletes who are required to be part-time (meaning "only" 30 hours per week).

I don't think Kliff has ever bothered with the overlay that creates a more refined system. It's been four years; he should be pushing the boundaries of what's possible and putting more intellectual work on Kyler, not simplifying it.

I think Kliff could be more successful with a mentor or someone who's pushing him to do more than design plays and into creating a coherent system, but he can't do that when he's doing a bunch of head coach stuff. He probably needs to go. He's definitely lost the faith of the fanbase here — and I don't just mean on this board.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And an NFL offense

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
l

in fairness, Charger fans generally hate Joe Lombardi's offense
First I’ve heard that…it’s an air it out exciting offense. Have a few buddies that are huge Chargers fans and it’s HC Staley’s decision making and defense that’s frustrated them the most (remember he was suppose to be a great defensive coach coming from LAR).

Herbie is a stud but them airing it out has led to a lot of these records.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First I’ve heard that…it’s an air it out exciting offense. Have a few buddies that are huge Chargers fans and it’s HC Staley’s decision making and defense that’s frustrated them the most (remember he was suppose to be a great defensive coach coming from LAR).

Herbie is a stud but them airing it out has led to a lot of these records.
I can see it. Eckler had 5 carries yesterday... What in the world? Going into the 4th Q he had 2 or 3. That's the best player on their team.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
you dont say

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Did I miss his point about it being complicated and starts going into the contract (presumably with Kyler) but then switches gears about he being a ball boy? What was he going to say about the contract? He didn’t follow up and bad reporting… follow up question should have been asked to elaborate.

Optimist in me wants me to believe Sean didn’t want to burn a bridge with Kyler. I’m a pessimist by nature so what do I know!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you dont say

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Did I miss his point about it being complicated and starts going into the contract (presumably with Kyler) but then switches gears about he being a ball boy? What was he going to say about the contract? He didn’t follow up and bad reporting… follow up question should have been asked to elaborate.

Optimist in me wants me to believe Sean didn’t want to burn a bridge with Kyler. I’m a pessimist by nature so what do I know!
Code for "Herbert stop winning freaking games. Please."

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Simply talking about the study language in the contract that started to make the relationship complicated

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Since he 'knows' the Bidwill family he is obviously the next Cardinals coach. :)

We are family.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Sean is cool as F.

He commands a respect with his players KK isn’t even remotely close too.

$15 million per year and MB private jet flys from Scottsdale to the panhandle of Idaho as much as the Payton’s want, and we probably have our next HC.

Sean is a very personable dude, and a man’s man. The question is, will MB’s ego prohibit such a culture change?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Herbert > Murray
Spanos > Bidwill

We lose that battle if it comes down to it…
The same Spanos who screwed his family and team out of a stadium, so now they are renters? Chargers are the football equivalent of the Clippers. They rank behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Ducks, USC, UCLA, Cal State Fullerton Baseball, Angels and Rams (In That Order) in fan importance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose