POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can’t imagine more than 3 and 5.. then I just googled what Gruden was traded for back in the day (seems a lot but they got their Super Bowl!)

Attachments

• C09E33EA-D311-4200-82A7-8084D9EEADCC.jpeg
    C09E33EA-D311-4200-82A7-8084D9EEADCC.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 4

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
They will probably ask for a 1 or 2. Depending on who's interested may settle for a 3...or a future 1 or 2.
We should do what the Rams did. Trade our early draft picks for good players. Keim can’t draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There was a part of me that thought Payton might prefer a Stroud or Bryce because he could mold those guys. Maybe not the potential of Kyler, but at least not potentially set in their ways. However, it seems the only college QB he loves is Caleb Williams.
So I guess he will go to a steadier QB situation.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I can’t imagine more than 3 and 5.. then I just googled what Gruden was traded for back in the day (seems a lot but they got their Super Bowl!)
Gruden was an active coach at the time. Payton is not.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I listened to a lot of it. He was a St.louis Cardinals ball boy when he was 12. He lived in Eastern Illinois, the Cardinals were his favorite team, he took up for them being surrounded by so many Bears fans growing up. He got to know the Bidwill family well while a ball boy. Another clip I heard today with him was in an interview during the 2019 draft. He basically was afraid Kyler would get drafted into the Saints division, said something about hoping he kept playing baseball as a joke. Was really saying how talented Kyler is. I thought Payton didn't think much about Kyler but that clip shoots that thought to hell lol. Look, I hate it when the Cardinals lose, it makes me sick, but if by losing games we could possibly get him as our coach, I hope we lose all 5 games by a wide margin lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way the Cards ever get a coach of Paytons quality is with this kind of historical link. So it's now or never.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I listened to a lot of it. He was a St.louis Cardinals ball boy when he was 12. He lived in Eastern Illinois, the Cardinals were his favorite team, he took up for them being surrounded by so many Bears fans growing up. He got to know the Bidwill family well while a ball boy. Another clip I heard today with him was in an interview during the 2019 draft. He basically was afraid Kyler would get drafted into the Saints division, said something about hoping he kept playing baseball as a joke. Was really saying how talented Kyler is. I thought Payton didn't think much about Kyler but that clip shoots that thought to hell lol. Look, I hate it when the Cardinals lose, it makes me sick, but if by losing games we could possibly get him as our coach, I hope we lose all 5 games by a wide margin lol.
Interesting background.

Here's hoping for a clean house and a brighter future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I actually grew up down the street from Sean Peyton. He was the most accomplished athlete to come out of my high school for a while, because he was the scab QB for the Bears during the strike in the early 80s.

I used to shovel snow for his mom when I was 10. She paid me something like $2/hour and never let me inside the house to warm up. She also insisted that I stayed and shoveled down to the driveway when it snowed all day, even if that meant shoveling the same stretch of driveway 5-6 times.

I would be out there for hours breaking my back and losing feeling in my fingers, and she would just stare at me through the window. It was the first time I ever got angry/frustrated with any boss of mine, and I still remember the exact feeling of cursing her under my breath while I watched the snow re-cover everything I had just shoveled for the fourth time.

I would be thrilled to 100% release all of my resentment towards the Peyton family if he coached the Cards. And if he somehow, someway was able to win a Super Bowl here, I would feel like all those days/nights of frustration and frostbite would be worth it.
Why in the world would you endure that?

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My parents insisted I stay until the end in order to build character or some crap. I husked corn until my hands were bloody when I was 8, too.

Growing up in the Midwest in the 80s was crazy, man!
No kidding. You must have a ton of character.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Mike B has to ask himself this offseason: what will be the source of improvement for this team?

being healthy would help -- but only the offense. The defense has been reasonably healthy by NFL standards, and you can see the results.

Another draft? Maybe-- but Keims track record of 1st round draft picks coming in and contributing in year 1 is terrible.

Free agency? Maybe. Much of the cap room will be used up re-signing your own guys (hopefully) -- so maybe a guy or two can be brought in.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Keim has to go and by affiliation, Kliff has to go. Start over with our 1/4 billion dollar QB. Then in a couple of years, we will do it again It is the Cardinals way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's an advantage the Chargers have.

Joe Lombardi who is the OC there worked under Sean Payton for over 10 seasons. The Chargers are already running an offense that's a variation on Peyton's and using the same verbiage.

Peyton could slide right in there with barely a blip. Herbert already knows everything he needs to know.