POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Sean is cool as F.

He commands a respect with his players KK isn’t even remotely close too.

$15 million per year and MB private jet flys from Scottsdale to the panhandle of Idaho as much as the Payton’s want, and we probably have our next HC.

Sean is a very personable dude, and a man’s man. The question is, will MB’s ego prohibit such a culture change?
I'm spending my energy cheering on the Chargers.
:)

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually grew up down the street from Sean Peyton. He was the most accomplished athlete to come out of my high school for a while, because he was the scab QB for the Bears during the strike in the early 80s.

I used to shovel snow for his mom when I was 10. She paid me something like $2/hour and never let me inside the house to warm up. She also insisted that I stayed and shoveled down to the driveway when it snowed all day, even if that meant shoveling the same stretch of driveway 5-6 times.

I would be out there for hours breaking my back and losing feeling in my fingers, and she would just stare at me through the window. It was the first time I ever got angry/frustrated with any boss of mine, and I still remember the exact feeling of cursing her under my breath while I watched the snow re-cover everything I had just shoveled for the fourth time.

I would be thrilled to 100% release all of my resentment towards the Peyton family if he coached the Cards. And if he somehow, someway was able to win a Super Bowl here, I would feel like all those days/nights of frustration and frostbite would be worth it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Does anyone really think Sean Payton will come here? Did anyone really believe Reid would come here? Did anyone really believe Manning would come here? Going way back, did anyone really believe Montana would come here? The list goes on and on. Maybe some day our false hope will pay off big time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I actually grew up down the street from Sean Peyton. He was the most accomplished athlete to come out of my high school for a while, because he was the scab QB for the Bears during the strike in the early 80s.

I used to shovel snow for his mom when I was 10. She paid me something like $2/hour and never let me inside the house to warm up. She also insisted that I stayed and shoveled down to the driveway when it snowed all day, even if that meant shoveling the same stretch of driveway 5-6 times.

I would be out there for hours breaking my back and losing feeling in my fingers, and she would just stare at me through the window. It was the first time I ever got angry/frustrated with any boss of mine, and I still remember the exact feeling of cursing her under my breath while I watched the snow re-cover everything I had just shoveled for the fourth time.

I would be thrilled to 100% release all of my resentment towards the Peyton family if he coached the Cards. And if he somehow, someway was able to win a Super Bowl here, I would feel like all those days/nights of frustration and frostbite would be worth it.
Found out today (I believe it was on the Cowherd show where he was a guest) he was actually a ball boy for the St. Louis Cardinals :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Does anyone really think Sean Payton will come here? Did anyone really believe Reid would come here? Did anyone really believe Manning would come here? Going way back, did anyone really believe Montana would come here? The list goes on and on. Maybe some day our false hope will pay off big time.
This is weird self-flagellation.

Yes. Coaches will come for money. Players will come for money. Reid might have come here if we had anything resembling a QB, or a chance to draft one. Remember, he went there when Alex Smith was the starter. Manning? Probably pretty close. Larry was arguably the best receiver in the league, and we'd recently been in the Super Bowl with a veteran QB. Ken Whisenhunt was pretty respected.

Peyton wanted to stay in the AFC. There was a team with two top receivers.

Montana wouldn't have happened, but Edgerrin James came here years back, and helped make us relevant. This team has great facilities, and we can actually do it.

AZ Native

Reaction score
This is weird self-flagellation.

Yes. Coaches will come for money. Players will come for money. Reid might have come here if we had anything resembling a QB, or a chance to draft one. Remember, he went there when Alex Smith was the starter. Manning? Probably pretty close. Larry was arguably the best receiver in the league, and we'd recently been in the Super Bowl with a veteran QB. Ken Whisenhunt was pretty respected.

Peyton wanted to stay in the AFC. There was a team with two top receivers.

Montana wouldn't have happened, but Edgerrin James came here years back, and helped make us relevant. This team has great facilities, and we can actually do it.
My point is this board was all up in arms about us getting these guys and we didn't. Just like we won't get Payton,

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Never thought Graves/Whiz could close the deal with Manning.

Bidwill could land Payton if he nuts up.

AZ Native

Reaction score
This is wildly confusing. Are you just telling everyone here to give up and accept losing? Do you never root for us to get any strong acquisitions?
It's not confusing. I always hope for the best. But I am a realist. I would be very pleased to be wrong.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Isn’t there supposed to be a rooney rule if we fire KK? Can’t just hire Payton. Isn’t there supposed to be an interview process?
It's a farce anyways. We could give Vance Joseph a cursory interview as he's already in our building, then fire him. I understand the spirit of the rule, but it really has no real purpose besides wasting some poor coach's time.

Edit: it does have to be external candidates... but my point was meant to be, we could have a phone call interview with two people and satisfy the rule. It doesn't really need to be all that thorough.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7 pages is a lot to catch up on, has the "Adrian Peterson will sign on Wednesday" joke been used yet?

I don't want to be unoriginal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who would be GM?

I would think Jeff Ireland would lead the pack. Currents Saints Assistant GM and college scouting director.

He bombed as the Dolphins GM but Payton likes him.

"In 2017, Saints' head coach Sean Payton praised Ireland, stating that Ireland "has done an outstanding job" in overhauling the draft process for the Saints."

Is it's not A-Dub that is.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
For those who want hope, Payton dodged the question on The Herd to keep his options open.
as to the "is it fixable" question -- he started with "its more like a rubicks cube rather than Xs and Os" and then quickly changed the subject.

well -- people solve Rubicks cubes all the time

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Didn't think JJ Watt would come here either. Just sayin'.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, if we start to believe it almost certainly won't happen. So I'm ruling it out completely...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't see anyone giving a high pick for a HC with retirement on his mind that just retired once not long ago. If Payton was 55 years old and hadn't retired last year then yes, maybe so.

But that risk devalues any trade which was probably why BA only went for a 6th.

Plus he gave the Saints 15 years. I don't see them screwing him over by demanding a high pick.
wont be a high pick. But payton didnt retire to get away from football. he retired to get away from the saints...he left that team in a cap and talent crisis

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wont be a high pick. But payton didnt retire to get away from football. he retired to get away from the saints...he left that team in a cap and talent crisis

For sure. Same could be said about BA.

It still effects his value in a trade. He's shown he's willing to jack it all in if he isn't happy and nobody is going to give a high pick with that risk.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The same Spanos who screwed his family and team out of a stadium, so now they are renters? Chargers are the football equivalent of the Clippers. They rank behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Ducks, USC, UCLA, Cal State Fullerton Baseball, Angels and Rams (In That Order) in fan importance.
Really? It seemed like they all moved to AZ, lol. That game had A LOT of Charger fans in attendance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose