Please let this be true - Payton possibly linked to Cards and Chargers per Bleacher Report

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I stopped listening to the Ringer NFL Podcasts and started listening to Slow News Day once Kevin Clark left the former.

Friday, Clark went off on a long thing about the amount of kayfabe that goes into NFL coaching "searches." He said that when you talk to people in the league you find that the dots get connected much, much earlier than people think. This specifically came up around Staley's future and Sean Payton. He said that it's not uncommon for coaches to call up a front office and express interest if the job became available.

He brought it up AGAIN on Monday's show, around Staley's future and Sean Payton. I don't think you need to be Nostradamus to read the tea leaves there.

KAYFABE:

In professional wrestling, kayfabe, as a noun, is the portrayal of staged events within the industry as "real" or "true", specifically the portrayal of competition, rivalries, and relationships between participants as being genuine and not staged. The term kayfabe has evolved to also become a code word of sorts for maintaining this "reality" within the direct or indirect presence of the general public.

Jeebus, well done, K9. Never heard that one. Ever.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KAYFABE:

In professional wrestling, kayfabe, as a noun, is the portrayal of staged events within the industry as "real" or "true", specifically the portrayal of competition, rivalries, and relationships between participants as being genuine and not staged. The term kayfabe has evolved to also become a code word of sorts for maintaining this "reality" within the direct or indirect presence of the general public.

Jeebus, well done, K9. Never heard that one. Ever.
Nice work, I honestly just thought it was a typo.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve been discussing this in the Poll thread. Even some stuff about how high SP was on Kyler on draft day, etc. Bring him in and some other strong football mind or minds and as an owner step back and let them run the football operations. Basically, stop meddling, Bidwill.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
For your reading pleasure:

This one talks about the woeful job Keim and Kingsbury has done to date.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This one talks about comments by Ward after the Monday night game concerning Hopkins.

Here is an interesting one, the Cardinals hire Philadelphia Eagles OC Shane Steichen

In order to use the links you need to left click on the link and then select open link (left most icon) in the small window that pops up after you left click.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No doubt. Dude bros aren't needed in this org. We need a guy who will demand perfection from his owner/GM and not the other way around. That's how this org gets better IMO.
He'll get the most out of Kyler or he'll bench his ass, simple as that. I feel like he can teach Kyler the things he's lacking for real though.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would love to see Payton rip into Murray coming off the field. IMO We really don’t have many alpha dogs contrary to what maybe popular opinion. We need an alpha male at the head coach spot in the worst way. Even nfl players need to fear for their job at times

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He took the Aints and made them the Saints...and won a Super Bowl.

He took the Saints job just to get away from the Crowboys and Jerruh.... Not really, but I stand by my point that Cards fans are delusional.. Well, I am anyway.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing is certain. Payton would sell a lot of tickets. Ticket sales will plummet if they don't make major changes.

If Payton can't elevate Kyler he'll be playing baseball by 2025.
His baseball days are over.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He took the Saints job just to get away from the Crowboys and Jerruh.... Not really, but I stand by my point that Cards fans are delusional.. Well, I am anyway.
I felt just like you until I ran across this article & posted it. I still feel like it's highly unlikely but it at least gives me some hope he would be interested, even if it's false hope?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If a fan from another team read this thread he'd instantly know how delusional Cards fans are to even dream that Payton would agree to be part of this organization.
This is ridiculous. Money and opportunity talk.

Given the other potential options this offseason... it's not wild to consider it. This org is in a bad situation, but it's not like when we were playing in a college stadium with subpar facilities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose