Was Kyler benched?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minor that could easily become major & bother him the rest of the year. Sitting him was the smart play whether you like it or not. I for one would rather he miss one game vs multiple. If he aggravates it trying to play on it before he's fully healed he would be out much longer.

Is everyone missing the part where he practiced Thursday and Friday?

Do y'll think is hammy was so bad he played 2 quarters on it then spent the next few days at the facility talking to doctors about it and everyone agreed he was fine to practice because it was a bad strain?

Do people think he's practicing at all if it's anything other than the most minor of issues?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You need to explain what you think actually happened because frankly I can't tell from your posts.

If a team of medical professionals looked over Kyler at halftime then clearly they believed he'd gotten hurt. So the idea that he's not actually hurt but benched is nonsense.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing with me or both?

what I'm saying is if they they felt he was healthy enough to play but not start he would have been the backup, like with Streveler against the rams. They didn't invent a hamstring as a cover to bench him and have McSorley over him as teh backup

Here's what I think.

Kyler very, very slightly tweaked his hammy. So slight that going in at half time neither Kyler or the team thought it was any reason to pull him or stop him running in the 2nd half.

Through the week they decided it was so slight that they would just do a walk through on Wednesday and he could practice Thursday and Friday. You simply don't practive if it's anything other than very minor.

Going into a crucial division game to stay relevant there are 3 options as I see it,

1, They decided this very minor injury wasn't worth risking. Despite the importance of the game.
2, They decided to use it as an excuse to faux bench Kyler and prove the offense could run better without him.
3, They decided that Kyler was healthy enough to play without any running but that McCoy could better execute a pure passing offense.

But the one thing I'm sure about given that he played on it fresh post half time exam and practiced during the week is that hammy strain is very minor.

And I don't see how option 1 makes sense if they decided the Seahawks 2nd half was important enough to risk the fresh hamstring tweak.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Haven't seen this much handwringing and hatred of our starting QB since Jeff Blake!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is everyone missing the part where he practiced Thursday and Friday?

Do y'll think is hammy was so bad he played 2 quarters on it then spent the next few days at the facility talking to doctors about it and everyone agreed he was fine to practice because it was a bad strain?

Do people think he's practicing at all if it's anything other than the most minor of issues?
Can someone repost my earlier post discussing these two items so brit can understand why he’s wrong? I’m on ignore but he keeps reposting this argument and they’re just bad arguments.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kyler being benched would mean the team actually had the ability - which it doesn't - to demonstrate quality leadership. There is no chance Mike B., Keim and Kliff had the cajones to tell Kyler he ain't playing.

Which in my mind, is all the more concerning as: 1.) Just another illustration of the incredible lack of leadership on this team, 2.) Kyler played a full game the week before and yet, couldn't play against the Rams. Oh well...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Haven't seen this much handwringing and hatred of our starting QB since Jeff Blake!
Kind of what happens when you pout and whine in the offseason after utter failure in the playoffs/late season, get rewarded for it, and crap the bed the following season. Get paid the big bucks and you deal with the criticism that comes with it.

Reaction score
Can someone repost my earlier post discussing these two items so brit can understand why he’s wrong? I’m on ignore but he keeps reposting this argument and they’re just bad arguments.
Ouchie: "Obviously relatively minor otherwise there wouldn’t have been a chance he would’ve played last week. But Jammie’s are like the trickiest things to judge. Doesn’t take much movement to turn a minor hammy into six weeks missed. Also tends to be easier to play immediately on it than after a day or two because the muscle is still warm. And practice? Lol. A hammy can easily managed be managed in practice for a QB wearing a “do not touch” penny."

:thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie: "Obviously relatively minor otherwise there wouldn’t have been a chance he would’ve played last week. But Jammie’s are like the trickiest things to judge. Doesn’t take much movement to turn a minor hammy into six weeks missed. Also tends to be easier to play immediately on it than after a day or two because the muscle is still warm. And practice? Lol. A hammy can easily managed be managed in practice for a QB wearing a “do not touch” penny."

:thumbup:
Thank you!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I think.

Kyler very, very slightly tweaked his hammy. So slight that going in at half time neither Kyler or the team thought it was any reason to pull him or stop him running in the 2nd half.

Through the week they decided it was so slight that they would just do a walk through on Wednesday and he could practice Thursday and Friday. You simply don't practive if it's anything other than very minor.

Going into a crucial division game to stay relevant there are 3 options as I see it,

1, They decided this very minor injury wasn't worth risking. Despite the importance of the game.
2, They decided to use it as an excuse to faux bench Kyler and prove the offense could run better without him.
3, They decided that Kyler was healthy enough to play without any running but that McCoy could better execute a pure passing offense.

But the one thing I'm sure about given that he played on it fresh post half time exam and practiced during the week is that hammy strain is very minor.

And I don't see how option 1 makes sense if they decided the Seahawks 2nd half was important enough to risk the fresh hamstring tweak.

So the general rule in the NFL is you can't play on Sunday if you didn't practice during the week , at least somewhat. So the idea that Kyler had partial practices doesn't surprise me at all, they were hoping he could play Sunday so they did that.

The fact that he's STILL possibly out this Monday in a game where Colt is day to day too sort of proves that he wasn't benched and that the hammy is not some minor thing where he's just being soft.

Very hopeful one of them can play we can't win without one of the 2 of them. This is the nature of Colt's career in the NFL, if he plays much he gets hurt

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't hate Kyler, even if he keeps regressing to the point of no return, at the end of the day, no reason for hate, it's sports. My opinion of him is that he's stubborn like KK, pouts, can't see over the line & either can't read a defense or just refuses to acknowledge that part needs to be added to his game? In a perfect world he would admit he lacks in reading defenses & ask for help, insert Kurt Warner, but we don't live in a perfect world. I totally believe he would have too much pride to admit he lacks in that area & I also think he thinks he can just improvise with his God given ability. If he truly can't read a defense then that should've been corrected by KK. He misses guys wide open in the middle of the field all the time, we all see it every game. The truth is he just doesn't see them because of his height imo, that part isn't gonna change & we gotta except that. I want Kyler to succeed but if he doesn't recognize his own shortcomings (no pun intended) then I highly doubt any coach can fix him. We could definitely get more out of him if a coach had the power to set him straight, that coach isn't KK imo, KK goes before Kyler. Seeing the field is never gonna change for him imo but reading a defense & going through his progressions can be taught. Again, I want him to succeed but he's regressed & it seems like him & KK are at odds so Idk what's gonna happen other than KK will be gone before Kyler.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't hate Kyler, even if he keeps regressing to the point of no return, at the end of the day, no reason for hate, it's sports. My opinion of him is that he's stubborn like KK, pouts, can't see over the line & either can't read a defense or just refuses to acknowledge that part needs to be added to his game? In a perfect world he would admit he lacks in reading defenses & ask for help, insert Kurt Warner, but we don't live in a perfect world. I totally believe he would have too much pride to admit he lacks in that area & I also think he thinks he can just improvise with his God given ability. If he truly can't read a defense then that should've been corrected by KK. He misses guys wide open in the middle of the field all the time, we all see it every game. The truth is he just doesn't see them because of his height imo, that part isn't gonna change & we gotta except that. I want Kyler to succeed but if he doesn't recognize his own shortcomings (no pun intended) then I highly doubt any coach can fix him. We could definitely get more out of him if a coach had the power to set him straight, that coach isn't KK imo, KK goes before Kyler. Seeing the field is never gonna change for him imo but reading a defense & going through his progressions can be taught. Again, I want him to succeed but he's regressed & it seems like him & KK are at odds so Idk what's gonna happen other than KK will be gone before Kyler.
If they worked on moving the pocket just a little it would open gaps in the pass rush and create lanes to throw. Watch McCoy. He did it and Kyler should to instead of standing like a statue in the same exact spot until it’s too late.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah KK comes off as a real tough guy… lulu scares nobody and commands little respect which sucks that he’s a coach of grown macho type men…
You could say the same about our QB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose