What I Saw

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And the fact is that Kyler is still a better overall qb who beat a healthy Rams team who won the Super Bowl. RAMS still didn’t gameplan for him like they would have against KM. So putting these stats out like he’s better then KM IS AGAIN A TRASH ARGUMENT.

Comparing KM to a backup with limited starts is assasine. Colt did what he was paid to do, bottomline.

BIM: asinine

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray could transform all the negativity to popularity if he was willing to become a student of the game. I think a few things were likely the case Sunday. McCoy was better able to execute Kingsbury’s game plan. He seemed more engaged as a leader. He anticipated plays and made good choices on targets. Ironically, he was less dependent on the line to protect him, because he was more decisive, getting the ball out before the rush surrounded him. He was not contact adverse. He just executed confidently, at times ignoring the rush. He never seemed intimidated or gave the impression others were failing him. He showed true leadership and his teammates reflected his confidence. My simple question is, did Murray learn anything from watching McCoy’s game management? He hasn’t seemed to in the past.
Good input @Harry

This is a good summation of what it is

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's a pretty small sample size, one game. Not really (IMHO) enough to make definitive conclusions.

However, let's just say for the moment that the offense ran better yesterday with Colt than it has with Murray (and I think it did). Then we have to ask ourselves "why".

I'm not a big fan of the "Murray doesn't put in the work", "is lazy" or "is stupid" theories.

Instead, I think it's more likely a leadership and maturity issue. I wonder if Murray is connecting with his teammates and coaches. Does he have at least good working relationships with them? Does he inspire them to be great? Or, is it instead the opposite? Is he disliked by his teammates? Is he un-coachable?

Yesterday AJ Green making two great catches on two targets could have been be a fluke. But I also think it's possible CM elevated the offensive players around him, including (somehow) our rag-tag offensive line.

Again, I'm not sold that Murray is broken as a team-mate and team-leader. But if he is, the good news is that for "intangibles" like these, today is great opportunity to change course and to start to fixing the problem. Leadership skills can be learned. Relationships can be fixed. But it takes a desire and effort to do so.

That's personally what I want to see more of from K-1. Much more connecting with his teammates and coaches, and much less "being frustrated" with his teammates and coaches.

Find a way Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a pretty small sample size, one game. Not really (IMHO) enough to make definitive conclusions.

However, let's just say for the moment that the offense ran better yesterday with Colt than it has with Murray (and I think it did). Then we have to ask ourselves "why".

I'm not a big fan of the "Murray doesn't put in the work", "is lazy" or "is stupid" theories.

Instead, I think it's more likely a leadership and maturity issue. I wonder if Murray is connecting with his teammates and coaches. Does he have at least good working relationships with them? Does he inspire them to be great? Or, is it instead the opposite? Is he disliked by his teammates? Is he un-coachable?

Yesterday AJ Green making two great catches on two targets could have been be a fluke. But I also think it's possible CM elevated the offensive players around him, including (somehow) our rag-tag offensive line.

Again, I'm not sold that Murray is broken as a team-mate and team-leader. But if he is, the good news is that for "intangibles" like these, today is great opportunity to change course and to start to fixing the problem. Leadership skills can be learned. Relationships can be fixed. But it takes a desire and effort to do so.

That's personally what I want to see more of from K-1. Much more connecting with his teammates and coaches, and much less "being frustrated" with his teammates and coaches.

Find a way Kyler.

It's a combination of things that you could probably boil down to 2 areas.

1. He's not a good leader. It's easy to see the difference between McCoy and Murray. Or even Tua, Herbert or Burrow and Murray. Being a leader isn't about shouting at people when they mess up. McCoy completely owned and managed this offense yesterday. Everyone bought in. Everyone was calm and on mission. As a result there were less mistakes and things ran much better. You could palpably feel it. We all felt it in the game thread. Everyone was much calmer because the offense felt calmer.

2. He doesn't study enough. That's just a fact now. The FO didn't put it in his deal for giggles and it's evident from the on field mistakes.

And both go hand in hand. You can't be a leader if you aren't leading at studying. You can't lead the troops when you don't have control of the battle plan.

The FO and Kliff especially need to take responsibility. They had him as a rookie, they should have set the ground rules and they certainly shouldn't have paid him knowing the situation.

I'd love it is Kyler knuckled down and made the effort to fix these areas. Sadly, the kind of person I think he is I've known before. We probably all have. And I've never seen them change yet.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They played like trash because Stafford was out. Stop it.
So why did the same trash backup QB beat the Kyler led Cards last year, who were trying to clinch a playoff game?

As for the Kyler apologies here, quote yourself and stop it lol Yesterday showed squarely where the problem is.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
This was a level match game. Backup QBs, injuries, blah, blah, blah. There was no mismatch either way. The Cardinals played the Rams, the Rams played the Cardinals.

Now that this is established, Kyler should be absolutely humiliated.

While the game plan and the play calling was much better and more well-rounded, we have to evaluate whether that is attributable to an adjustment and maturity from Kliff or that perhaps Kyler is not capable of managing a game in that manner.

Colt is now 3-1 as a Cards starter and he has shown composure, calm, and leadership. His reads are good. He goes through his progressions. He doesn't get skittish. He knows where his guys are. He kept the timing tight. He knows the playbook. He knows the route trees.

Clearly, Colt studies and prepares.

Kyler on the other hand....

It's just so glaring, yet it's a tiny sample in the scheme of things, so I don't want to get ahead of it.

But, I'd be lying if I didn't confess that I'm starting to wonder if Kyler is a quarter billion dollar dud.

Stout

Reaction score
Look for yourself. Colt balled against a trash disinterested team who didn’t gameplan for him, bottomline. You don’t know if Kyler “put the work in” or not that’s just another trash assumption. Stick to the facts, not the conjectures, which this board is keen on doing.
Man, your next Kyler criticism might be your first. Bottom line: KM hasn't done well with this offense, and Colt came in and did well with this offense. With only a few posters are the excuses still flowing. KM has not played well and is a problem, not a solution at this point. He won't be a solution until (if) he can figure it out. He's in his 4th season and got his big reward contract, so his inability to put even competent offensive showings together is unacceptable. Most of this board can see the writing on the wall.

Stout

Reaction score
And the fact is that Kyler is still a better overall qb who beat a healthy Rams team who won the Super Bowl. RAMS still didn’t gameplan for him like they would have against KM. So putting these stats out like he’s better then KM IS AGAIN A TRASH ARGUMENT.

Comparing KM to a backup with limited starts is assasine. Colt did what he was paid to do, bottomline.
1: KM couldn't beat the same backup last year with clinching the playoffs on the line.
2: KM isn't doing what he's paid to do this season. Bottom line.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

and Kyler doesnt.

agree.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They played like trash because Stafford was out. Stop it.
You’re not watching the Rams. I live in LA. I’ve seen a lot of their games and heard all of the talk about them on local radio. They’ve played like trash ALL season with or without Stafford.

And yet, Kyler still looked like trash against them.

He’s still the QB of the future moving forward, has to be. But the idea that the rams were something they haven’t been all season yesterday is totally false.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kyler has way, way, way higher ceiling than Colt

but Colt demonstrated by comparison that Kyler hasn't been consistent enough in making regular, NFL caliber QB plays -- so in that regard: Colt's floor is higher.

that said, I have real concerns about the Cardinal's prospects when Colt is facing a starting QB on the other side (even if technically, Garrapolo is a backup)

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
You’re not watching the Rams. I live in LA. I’ve seen a lot of their games and heard all of the talk about them on local radio. They’ve played like trash ALL season with or without Stafford.

And yet, Kyler still looked like trash against them.

He’s still the QB of the future moving forward, has to be. But the idea that the rams were something they haven’t been all season yesterday is totally false.
Fellow LA resident. Can confirm.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah playing against a team who played like complete and utter trash like the Rams did without Stafford and KM will have the same results….oh he beat Stafford last year. Trash argument
Donald still on the other side? Ramsay still out there? Those 2 guys have single handily won games against the cards in the past

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fellow LA resident. Can confirm.
Right? I keep chuckling at people saying “The Rams were a defeated team, yada, yada…”

They’ve been DREADFUL all season. They were dreadful when they beat us in Week 3 with that same defense and Kyler couldn’t put a single touchdown on the board.

Look, Colt is NOT the future of this team by any stretch of the imagination. What yesterday’s game (combined with this and last season’s Kyler Collapse) did was throw fuel to the fire on whether Kyler is as well? Contractually, we know he is, and will be for at least another season. But there’s just big questions staring that guy in the face at this point.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, is there any situation in which you would accept any KM criticism at all? Now that Colt walked into the team and did way, way better, it's "playing with nothing to lose and zero expectations can play a lot more free" nonsense, and blaming a better game plan to get the ball out super quick and, and, and...I mean, seriously? This is getting sad at this point, man.
Lol I’ve said many times he is not playing well, but Kliff has a huge role in that as well. And yes backup QBs play with little to no pressure as most aren’t expected to do much see the opposition yesterday! And if you didn’t think yesterday had a better game plan than just about any game all season you weren’t paying attention!

Stout

Reaction score
Backups historically have career games against the Cards, this is nothing new. Why you brought that up is irrelevant when you compare Colt to Kyler.
It is not irrelevant. You threw the trash backup QB excuse out there for Colt, when Kyler couldn't beat the exact same trash backup QB when he played against him.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So why did the same trash backup QB beat the Kyler led Cards last year, who were trying to clinch a playoff game?
Because Streveler was the worst qb since Max Hall. Worst then Wolford. And that was the game where KM sat out a few snaps with a hammy I think.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol I’ve said many times he is not playing well, but Kliff has a huge role in that as well. And yes backup QBs play with little to no pressure as most aren’t expected to do much see the opposition yesterday! And if you didn’t think yesterday had a better game plan than just about any game all season you weren’t paying attention!

Sigh.

Its the same game plan. Colt just runs it better.

Stout

Reaction score
So, there was literally nothing Colt could have done in the game yesterday that would make you think "maybe Colt showed us that a QB can succeed in this offense and in this system and Kyler just isn't doing that"? I mean, Kyler ain't getting it done, and Colt did. Kyler's not making the offense hum; Colt did. Kyler has been bad against bad teams; Colt wasn't. Suddenly you're singing hymns about how the entire game plan was different instead of stopping to think that maybe Kyler just can't run the same game plan that Colt can handle.

If we could put Colt's brain and heart into Kyler's body, we'd have an unstoppable QB. Unfortunately, we can't. We're stuck with a physically gifted QB who can't put it together.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, your next Kyler criticism might be your first. Bottom line: KM hasn't done well with this offense, and Colt came in and did well with this offense. With only a few posters are the excuses still flowing. KM has not played well and is a problem, not a solution at this point. He won't be a solution until (if) he can figure it out. He's in his 4th season and got his big reward contract, so his inability to put even competent offensive showings together is unacceptable. Most of this board can see the writing on the wall.
Bottomline, Colt beat Wolford. Colt wasn’t schemed against. Wolford was. KM is still the future, deal with it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because Streveler was the worst qb since Max Hall. Worst then Wolford. And that was the game where KM sat out a few snaps with a hammy I think.

Kyler played 50% of that game and absolutely pussied out the other 50% on a minor ankle injury he could have played on in a crucial must win game.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1: KM couldn't beat the same backup last year with clinching the playoffs on the line.
2: KM isn't doing what he's paid to do this season. Bottom line.
STREVELER HAD MORE SNAPS IN THAT GAME.

KM is doing what he can with this staff.