Cam Johnson

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope this is Bushleague.
You have to sign your young players without dragging it out and pissing them off.
He may not be worth 80/4 but he WILL get it or more here or somewhere else.
The messed up thing is the dude actually WANTS to be here.
Nah. Ownership change. Cam wants to be here and still wants to be here. He is a smart guy and understands the situation. Just listened to an interview with Mikal. Mikal said he (Mikal) was frustrated that Cam did not get paid, but said it was CAM who explained to him the business side of the situation and why he is fine not being extended right now.

Cam is not a petulant child with a fragile ego. He is very intelligent and understands the business side.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. Ownership change. Cam wants to be here and still wants to be here. He is a smart guy and understands the situation. Just listened to an interview with Mikal. Mikal said he (Mikal) was frustrated that Cam did not get paid, but said it was CAM who explained to him the business side of the situation and why he is fine not being extended right now.

Cam is not a petulant child with a fragile ego. He is very intelligent and understands the business side.

Sounds like Cam doesn’t mind proving what he’s worth before acting like someone who thinks it’s owed to him *coughAytoncough

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns didn't offer Cam Johnson 4 years/ $72 million, no wonder a deal didn't get done.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson says negotiations are interesting, especially when ownership is unclear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns didn't offer Cam Johnson 4 years/ $72 million, no wonder a deal didn't get done.

Okay… that’s pathetic. That would have been a solid number for him. Makes James Jones look kinda out of touch salary-wise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay… that’s pathetic. That would have been a solid number for him. Makes James Jones look kinda out of touch salary-wise.

Cam Johnson mentioned ownership. I tend to think that is where the problem lies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is an emotional side of things as well. Although Cam Johnson may understand the business side of things, it must have hurt when Suns ownership didn't think he was worth 4 years/ $72 million.

People have feelings and it's not always easy to forget.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones really likes Cam Johnson, so if he has his way, I think the Suns will match any offer when he becomes a restricted free agent.
That sounds easy as long as it's just a money issue. If it's "I want to start" issue it gets more complicated. IMO, the Suns shouldn't look at him as their long-term solution to PF. So, likely shouldn't pay him starting PF money either. If he doesn't care if he starts? It might simplify things greatly if he views himself as a 6th man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds easy as long as it's just a money issue. If it's "I want to start" issue it gets more complicated. IMO, the Suns shouldn't look at him as their long-term solution to PF. So, likely shouldn't pay him starting PF money either. If he doesn't care if he starts? It might simplify things greatly if he views himself as a 6th man.

We will have a season to find out Cam's value and if he should start at power forward,

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will have a season to find out Cam's value and if he should start at power forward,
I would put money on the fact he shouldn't. He isn't going to have the physical presence or rebounding we need at that position. He will score but we will suffer in other areas.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put money on the fact he shouldn't. He isn't going to have the physical presence or rebounding we need at that position. He will score but we will suffer in other areas.

The Suns made the decision. Now all we can do is watch. At this point, I'm more concerned about the Suns bench.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The pressure is on Cam to produce. Love him as I love my Tar Heels....I believe the Suns made the right call

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I think Cam loves it here, he and Mikal as best friends and I fully expect that the only chance he isn't retained next summer is if we traded him for a big star during the season.

I also expect that we could have kept him for less if we'd signed him early. Barring catastrophy, he will get over 100 mil over 4 years next summer... easy.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Crazy how fans turn on you so quick. Crazy how players lock up a position because they are "better" than those glued to the bench yet when it's time to get paid well you aren't all that anyway when the market value is set for you to indeed get paid. It's like the Sun's management has conditioned/groomed its fans to accept their crazy.

And if there were no need for negotiation because of new ownership, then why negotiate at all?

A business still has to be ran. We don't know how long the sale will take. In a year, especially when the story is dead, Sarver can say I change my mind.

I'm starting to think the Suns love the attention (which leads to mo' money) they are getting from "ALL" the drama. This is a player's league. Fans should not know the managers as good as they know players....when the managers are going to end up playing anyway.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crazy how fans turn on you so quick. Crazy how players lock up a position because they are "better" than those glued to the bench yet when it's time to get paid well you aren't all that anyway when the market value is set for you to indeed get paid. It's like the Sun's management has conditioned/groomed its fans to accept their crazy.

And if there were no need for negotiation because of new ownership, then why negotiate at all?

A business still has to be ran. We don't know how long the sale will take. In a year, especially when the story is dead, Sarver can say I change my mind.

I'm starting to think the Suns love the attention (whic leads to money) they are getting from "ALL" the drama. This is a player's league. Fans should not know the managers as good as they know players.

Who here has turned on Cam? I don't see anyone. There are some rightfully concerned with paying him $25+ million a year, which is more than Mikal got last offseason. I don't see anyone glad he wasn't extended or that wants him gone though

Now there are some that think he might not be an ideal starter next DA but we'll find out whether he is or not very soon. Regardless of that, I think everyone wants him back but some understand the reality of the situation. That being that the team is being sold and it's unusual for large extensions to be signed when that's happening.

Plus the Suns hold all the cards with Cam and can match any offer sheet he receives next off-season. As we saw with Ayton, restricted free agency isnt much of an issue If the team wants to retain you.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Why even negotiate at all then?

The Suns set the market...at min than 10 million (more than Shamet $10mil & who he is replacing Crowder $9mil) and max his wonder twin $25 mil)...what he asked for is reasonable based on how he is treated by the Suns.

And I don't think the team will be sold in 2 months (an exaggeration). I think if it is sold, Sarver will take a few years, at least not until after he returns in what 10 months. So this new management not gonna pay him what another team will? The new owners want to start off of the same foot the previous owner used?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why even negotiate at all then?

The Suns set the market...at min than 10 million (more than Shamet $10mil & who he is replacing Crowder $9mil) and max his wonder twin $25 mil)...what he asked for is reasonable based on how he is treated by the Suns.

And I don't think the team will be sold in 2 months (an exaggeration). I think if it is sold, Sarver will take a few years, at least not until after he returns in what 10 months.

The sale process was said to take 4-10 months from when announced. He's gone for 12 and I highly doubt he'll ever return because it'll be sold before he's able to return.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Ok.

The little extra you pay Cam now will be recouped in 24 months what looks like now by 300%. So it really is too much drama for a basic everyday kind of NBA transaction.

Forecasting is a part of a part of the selling of a business process. So the Sun's don't have accountants & economist now to "project" future earning & expenses? None of this is on the first page of the presentation slide to new owners? Amazon owner who wants the NBA streaming rights too don't already know mo' money coming?

Problaly not since the don't have scouts to project a player's potential.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Jones must be so tired.

He's one man doing the job of 10...some jobs are outside his areas of expertise. And boy how frustrating it must be to be tasked with the decision making only to have the boss man come behind you and say...NOPE.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
There is an emotional side of things as well. Although Cam Johnson may understand the business side of things, it must have hurt when Suns ownership didn't think he was worth 4 years/ $72 million.

People have feelings and it's not always easy to forget.
It will be easy for him to forget next year when he gets 85 million.