A simple question...

Do you think Kyler is adequately prepared for games?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 50 94.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now or after the end of the season? I agree with you on the former, strongly disagree with you on the latter.

Both. This franchise does not attract the best candidates.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why I point the finger mostly at Kyler now is that on almost every failed drive, we see a missed throw or a bad throw from Kyler. We've also seen Kyler make throws that few QBs can make. To me this is fairly simple. Even with Kliff's mistakes, Kyler has to play better.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with everything but the last statement. Kyler needs to feel failure. He needs to feel it so strongly that he understands that HE needs to do more. IF he is half the competitor everyone says he is, he should be able to see this.

He's played here 3 years. He's felt failure.

His ego needs a kick in the balls and benching him will do that. Preferably mid game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

His ego needs a kick in the balls and benching him will do that. Preferably mid game.
He's also felt success. 8-8 season where the team was close. A 10-2 start to last year.

Offensive rookie of the year.

Two Pro Bowls.

No. Let him fail. Let him fail bad.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's also felt success. 8-8 season where the team was close. A 10-2 start to last year.

Offensive rookie of the year.

Two Pro Bowls.

No. Let him fail. Let him fail bad.
Well, that's one thing he's already succeeded at.

If that playoff loss wasn't him failing bad enough, especially after the season collapse, and with the utter ish show start to this season, no amount of failure will make a difference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a laugh riot that after 4 years of this crap, people are asking if Kyler is adequately prepared. Of course not! The hallmarks of this team is a total lack of preparation, a total lack of attention to detail, and confusion and uncertainty.

4 years of this crap, and people are STILL trying to make excuses.

KVB said something interesting on the radio this morning - bad teams practice until they get it right, good teams practice until they can't get it wrong.

I think we know what kind of team we have here, frittering away a golden opportunity in a historically weak NFC.

frank Sanders said a similar thing the non player dude next to him said the offense looks like a HS offense and Sanders said it's because they're not prepared, they don't understand what the defense is doing to attack them and it goes from the HC down to Kyler.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have been ok with benching him yesterday when I say benching I mean you make the backup the starter, not you pull Kyler for poor play in one game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
frank Sanders said a similar thing the non player dude next to him said the offense looks like a HS offense and Sanders said it's because they're not prepared, they don't understand what the defense is doing to attack them and it goes from the HC down to Kyler.
Just like you don't need to be a chef to be able to tell when the food stinks, you don't need to be an NFL expert to see when a team is well coached. (or poorly coached)

The Cards always look like it's their first week of preaseason, it's an absolute joke. I don't know if anyone in the building actually knows what proper preparation looks like.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Both. This franchise does not attract the best candidates.

People who thing that Sean Payton is going to come here are deluded. I see no reason why the Cards couldn't recruit a Mike McCarthy-level experienced head coach or a Nick Sirianni-level young coach.

The problem with the latter category is that Keim tried to do that just four years ago and we ended up with Kliff. There's plenty of time to start doing research and coming up with cool names in each column, but I'll wait until Kliff's fate is decided.

I don't think Kliff in the Head Coach's office is keeping us from being a 9-win football team.

Reaction score
I feel like I've been one of his hugest supporters, but I have to admit I've gone sour on the dude--specifically after his "study" comments to the NY Times earlier this year. This was before a single game had been played, I hated the comment then and hate it more now. He doubled down on the immaturity with his juvenile games on Instagram and decided to just faceplant himself with his "better be ready when you play with me" clown show. He's even gone the Dewreck Anderson route by inserting "****" into every sentence specifically so people know he cares.

This is a guy anointed with "elite" talent. Let's discuss briefly and make sure this is even true: His best year he threw 26 TD's with 12 INT's. He almost threw for 4,000 yards so that's...good. His career best 26 TD's would have put him outside the top 10 last year. He's perennially between the likes of Carson Wentz and Kirk Cousins (with many more INT's than both). Does that warrant the angst about his salary, his continual disrespect to his teammates, coaches, and the organization? If we can't agree that he's been disrespectful then we're never going to agree. All this from a middle-of-the-pack QB statistically.

Basically I'm over the dude, I spent a lot of time supporting him in the past, but after some of his comments this year I'm just done. Does anyone really believe this guy has what it takes to lead a franchise? I've said this before and will again: He's an athletic Jay Cutler. Before you all laugh, what I mean by that is if you recall Jay was a dude with elite arm talent, so "they" said for like 10 years. But the guy was dumb as a rock. He'd get your hopes up with his talent, they'd pair him with an elite receiver, and then he'd just play stupid. Over and over and over. That's what Kyler is, he's the guy you look at and go man he's talented, he just needs (insert anything) and then he'll just piss you off for the next decade.

My .02.
Very good post! The Cutler comparison is on target. As with Cutler, Kyler has the talent, but he hasn't got the attitude to win at this level. And as with Cutler, not sure he ever will! :confused:
I don't think Kliff in the Head Coach's office is keeping us from being a 9-win football team.
It's definitely one of the contributing factors! Without doubt.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Very good post! The Cutler comparison is on target. As with Cutler, Kyler has the talent, but he hasn't got the attitude to win at this level. And as with Cutler, not sure he ever will! :confused:

Hmm, yeah, I can definitely see the Cutler analogue. I really wanted Cutler on our team, but man, was I wrong about him. Million dollar physical talent, 10 cent brain, in-debt heart.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You don't think there is any connection between the head coach and his poorly prepared team?

I think the lack of attention to detail is a direct result of a head coach that doesn't demand accountability. The most frustrating part of watching this team fart around is knowing that even if they were somewhat competent, we'd probably win some of these close games! We've had one half of good football, and other than that, a team that looks completely lost, and is NEVER on the same page. We're 4 years in - Kliff hasn't built anything, and his team continues to get worse.

Kliff is right in praising the opposing coaching staffs each week, because he's right - they are tearing him a new one on almost a weekly basis. 3-10 in our last 13!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You don't think there is any connection between the head coach and his poorly prepared team?

I think the lack of attention to detail is a direct result of a head coach that doesn't demand accountability. The most frustrating part of watching this team fart around is knowing that even if they were somewhat competent, we'd probably win some of these close games! We've had one half of good football, and other than that, a team that looks completely lost, and is NEVER on the same page. We're 4 years in - Kliff hasn't built anything, and his team continues to get worse.

Kliff is right in praising the opposing coaching staffs each week, because he's right - they are tearing him a new one on almost a weekly basis. 3-10 in our last 13!
I do, but I don't think it's the only thing. Obviously.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets break this down.

The play calls on the call sheet for the week are determined by a collaborative effort between the HC/OC/QB at the beginning of the game week.

Those are what the team practices all week.

The scripted plays are taken from that overall plan, and put together, once again, by the HC/OC/QB.

The QB has the freedom to audible out of any play when it is called in.

So, Kyler has a voice in the overall game plan, the scripted plays, and can audible whenever he wants. Hell, we even have Kyler who has said that sometimes he doesn't run the play Kliff calls anyways.

Kliff isn't Kyle Shanahan who you can see barking at his QB to "run the effing play".

Well to be fair winning %’s show that Kyle may be able to be a hard ass but his results kinda suck too. He’s a below .500 NFL coach for a reason. With a Huge 6 season sample size. They both have an identical 48% winning % as NFL head coaches and Shanahan has had far better talent to work with imo. Yet he is acted upon like he is god on here and in some NFL circles. Yet his teams routinely go out and pull games like yesterday in Atlanta.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well to be fair winning %’s show that Kyle may be able to be a hard ass but his results kinda suck too. He’s a below .500 NFL coach for a reason. With a Huge 6 season sample size. They both have an identical 48% winning % as NFL head coaches and Shanahan has had far better talent to work with imo. Yet he is acted upon like he is god on here and in some NFL circles. Yet his teams routinely go out and pull games like yesterday in Atlanta.
I think very highly of Kyle. He is an amazing offensive mind and has taken his team to the Super Bowl multiple times. We can disagree but I am in the "he is one of the best in the NFL" camp. Not many NFL coaches I take over Kyle.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So KK is offering no more than suggestions at best. OK, one can wonder, given your breakdown of the process, why he'd even bother, given that KM has the freedom to do whatever he likes. My understanding of audibles is that they are used when it's evident the initial call is doomed. I like to hear KM defend his calls for wide runs that invariably fail and flair passes behind the line. 'Tell me, Kyler, why did you decide to call that in the huddle or audible to it?'
That is why it is a collaboration. If both parties didn't contribute, it wouldn't be called that.

If the offense was struggling and it was reported that Kliff did not allow Kyler to audible, the play calls would be on Kliff. If Kyler audibled out of every play, the play calls would be on Kyler. So, we can say that they equally agree on the plays that are being called for the most part because Kyler has the freedom to change the calls but he isn't doing it.

This results the success or failure of the play being called being mostly on Kyler. This is why Kyler is more valuable and less replaceable than Kliff.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First I would fire Kingsbury despite cost.
Second Joseph becomes interim HC.
Third I would bench Murray and let him know if he wants his money he’ll spend the next 4+ years guarding the bench.
Fourth for next season, hire a new HC.
Fifth he offers Murray a chance to get off the bench if he will do what he should have done to earn the job.
Let Murray either be a humiliated pretender or grow up and do the work.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I would fire Kingsbury despite cost.
Second Joseph becomes interim HC.
Third I would bench Murray and let him know if he wants his money he’ll spend the next 4+ years guarding the bench.
Fourth for next season, hire a new HC.
Fifth he offers Murray a chance to get off the bench if he will do what he should have done to earn the job.
Let Murray either be a humiliated pretender or grow up and do the work.

I love it but in regards to Murray it’s just not really feasible.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well Hard Knocks is going to be fun
Hopefully VJ is the interim HC by then? There has to be someone on staff right now that can call plays better than KK. Take the few plays from his sheet that actually work (not sure what those would be lol?) Add some motion, crossing patterns, delayed TE drag routes after pinch blocking, move the ******* WR's around for starters.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All the Kliff and Keim talk is a distraction for me. It's a separate issue. Keim should have gone some time ago. I'm more ambivalent on Kliff because frankly I don't see who replaces him that is better.

But I won't accept Kyler doesn't have the tools to be much better. Before Kyler broke him Hollywood was on track for 1400 yards. Ertz was on track for 800. Since Rondale has been back he's had 50 yards a game. Green is a ghost but then Kyler ignores him like he's been boning his mom.

Kyler had a higher passer rating, YPA and QBR as a rookie throwing to Fitz's corpse, Kirk, Pharoah Cooper and Dan Arnold. His starting O line contained Sweezy, Shipley and Justin Murray.

There's no offensive talent issue. A QB playing poorly makes everyone look bad.

What pisses me off the most is in his presser it's all WE. Not once did he call himself out. He finished the game with a pass that got his best friends ankle crushed and he still couldn't say "It's on me. I have to play better".
At this point we need a young up & comer. K.O is doing a fantastic job at Minnesota right now & he was the OC for the Rams last year. The OC for the Rams this season is Liam Cohen, he's young, QB in college so he can coach QB's, OC at Kentucky last season, broke my heart when he left. No OC calls the plays for the Rams anyways but he has experience calling plays. There's tons of young football minds in the NFL right now, Cohen is just one example. Problem is this, our FO is too ******* stupid to know who they are. Sean Payton ain't coming, he's way too damn smart to work for our 2 bozos in the FO. Hell, the OC with the Bills right now Ken Dorsey would work. Did anyone see how pissed off he got in the booth against the Dolphins on MNF a few weeks back? We need that fire from a HC & one that knows how to design plays to beat a defense. Anyone would work over KK.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just like you don't need to be a chef to be able to tell when the food stinks, you don't need to be an NFL expert to see when a team is well coached. (or poorly coached)

The Cards always look like it's their first week of preaseason, it's an absolute joke. I don't know if anyone in the building actually knows what proper preparation looks like.
apparently the defense does lol. Just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that about a unit VJ coaches lol. But I'll give credit where it's due. VJ is doing his job with what little Keim gave him.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Come on man. He just had an 11 win season LAST YEAR. They went 8-8 the year before. Kliff has 1 losing season in 3.

So yeah, we can complain about the things that aren't right but when @kerouac9 says Kliff isn't stopping us being a 9 win team he's obviously right considering we average 9.5 wins over the last 2 seasons.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah, I can definitely see the Cutler analogue. I really wanted Cutler on our team, but man, was I wrong about him. Million dollar physical talent, 10 cent brain, in-debt heart.

Kyler the same really. All the physical talent but no work ethic (outside the gym), no leadership, none of the qualities you want in a leader such as grit, determination, likability.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This team is unprepared for every game and look lost

Puts them in a hole to start and they have to play catch up

Unsustainable

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA