I thought Arians was a crap play caller.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a strange take from a fan on a message board lol Why even have a message board, by this rationale? Lame.

Comes with the territory of being an NFL player, obviously.
Not believing that’s it’s cool to call athletes “heartless”? Say that in your head & try to come to yourself that you actually believe if that’s fine. If so, then, yikes. Lord, lol.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We can probably all agree that Kyler is contact-adverse even to the detriment of his team. This also contradicts his "winning is the only thing that matters" philosophy and highlights the lack of self-awareness Kyler has.
If he's going to continue to be made of glass, I'm glad he's making business decisions. We all know how effective a dinged up Kyler has been.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not believing that’s it’s cool to call athletes “heartless”? Say that in your head & try to come to yourself that you actually believe if that’s fine. If so, then, yikes. Lord, lol.
lol No, you said if you wouldn't say it IRL why say it at all. You said that on a fan message board. Immensely illogical, but okay. You do you. If that's how you feel, you can personally not do it. If you don't like fans questioning athletes' heart, you don't have to do it and you can ignore it when others do. Like, you do you. Yikes. Lord, lol

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
lol No, you said if you wouldn't say it IRL why say it at all. You said that on a fan message board. Immensely illogical, but okay. You do you. If that's how you feel, you can personally not do it. If you don't like fans questioning athletes' heart, you don't have to do it and you can ignore it when others do. Like, you do you. Yikes. Lord, lol
Meh, I agree with him. It is pathetic behavior from you. You’re a grown man with hopefully some sense so you should be better than that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Based off of what? Because you think Kyler needs a drill sergeant as HC? Bruce could run literally the same offense Kliff runs & nothing would change.
Disagree. Bruce wouldn’t stand for the errors like sliding in bounds in 2 minute drill. He wouldn’t stand for the delays. I think he would help kyler develop better habits.

Do I think kliffs offense is extremely limited? Yes. But I also don’t think kyler maximizes it, and game situations because I think kliff is a lousy head coach. I think a coach that requires kyler to cross t’s and dot I’s and understand nuances of the game would be a big improvement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. They’re not fans. They’re athletes & knows the grind, short & long-term health risks that comes along with it.

I dislike Isabella as a player a lot, but I will never say he has no heart or is soft. Imagine you being a professional athlete & some fan on his couch with a beer & wings calling you that. Athletes obviously shouldn’t care, but as other fans like me, I believe it’s lame & pathetic as hell.
I get what you’re saying, but when I call a player soft it’s about in relation to others in his craft. I’m not comparing him to the general public. I think context matters.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again I think that is usually used in the context of the game. I don’t think it should be looked at in any other manner. For instance I doubt anyone here thinks a player they call heartless wouldn’t help an old person who fell down.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We can probably all agree that Kyler is contact-adverse even to the detriment of his team. This also contradicts his "winning is the only thing that matters" philosophy and highlights the lack of self-awareness Kyler has.
He messed up his shoulder trying to run over a safety back in 2020 to get a 1st down/win the Dolphins game and has been contact leery since.

I actually dont have a problem with him being protective when running. The issue is he's gotta take some hits for certain plays to work in the pocket.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. Bruce wouldn’t stand for the errors like sliding in bounds in 2 minute drill. He wouldn’t stand for the delays. I think he would help kyler develop better habits.
He probably would help Kyler develop better personality habits. Wouldn’t matter if he was running the exact same scheme that Kliff runs.

Yes. But I also don’t think kyler maximizes it,
What does it look like when it’s maximized though? What is there to really maximize when you’re just calling the same routes all game? Even when you maximize it, how high is the ceiling for you to reach maximization? Pat Mahomes didn’t maximize it in college. Just like Kyler, Pat was better off ad-libbing than maximizing a predictable, boring, & trash offense. Look back at all the ad-libbing Kyler did in our 7-0 start last year. Look at the ad-libbing Colt did against the 3 games he played last year. Look at all the ad-libbing Pat Mahomes did at his time at Tech.

I’m disappointed in Kyler’s play this year. That’s super easy to admit. He should be playing a whole lot hell better. Sliding inbounds that one play was just…..speechless. Everyone has a fair share of blame.

However, I’m not going to convince myself like others have that the blame is 50/50, not when one of the 50 has a whole lot of evidence that he is not going to change it up regardless of the institution he’s at.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you take any notice at all, you're not much of a professional. If you care, you're not much of a professional either. If you're an NFL player, it is baseline to know you're going to get that and much worse criticism. Comes with the territory. As long as they're not harassing you IRL it is a complete non-issue.

Just curious, have you ever held a job that holds public scrutiny over you in any way shape or form? A job where people go on line or write about you in the media and critique what you do for a living? I do. I say I dont care what people think. That's a lie. Its really freaking hard to work your ass off for 20 years and then have some boring soccer mom tell you your work sucks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He probably would help Kyler develop better personality habits. Wouldn’t matter if he was running the exact same scheme that Kliff runs.

What does it look like when it’s maximized though? What is there to really maximize when you’re just calling the same routes all game? Even when you maximize it, how high is the ceiling for you to reach maximization? Pat Mahomes didn’t maximize it in college. Just like Kyler, Pat was better off ad-libbing than maximizing a predictable, boring, & trash offense. Look back at all the ad-libbing Kyler did in our 7-0 start last year. Look at the ad-libbing Colt did against the 3 games he played last year. Look at all the ad-libbing Pat Mahomes did at his time at Tech.

I’m disappointed in Kyler’s play this year. That’s super easy to admit. He should be playing a whole lot hell better. Sliding inbounds that one play was just…..speechless. Everyone has a fair share of blame.

However, I’m not going to convince myself like others have that the blame is 50/50, not when one of the 50 has a whole lot of evidence that he is not going to change it up regardless of the institution he’s at.
This is fair. I think you can be more creative when you have all your guys committed and practicing. You can't do variations on the theme when everyone's learning the theme.

The other side of it is that WE SEE OPEN RECEIVERS ALL THE TIME that Kyler doesn't or would prefer to yeet the ball down the sideline instead. No one was caring about our predictable offensive playcalling when we were 10-2.

The lack of motion and slotting players into various positions is completely mystifying, though. Why wouldn't you make things easier on your quarterback and harder on the defense? We heard that every receiver was supposed to learn every position in the offseason, but now we just lock guys in.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just curious, have you ever held a job that holds public scrutiny over you in any way shape or form? A job where people go on line or write about you in the media and critique what you do for a living? I do. I say I dont care what people think. That's a lie. Its really freaking hard to work your ass off for 20 years and then have some boring soccer mom tell you your work sucks.
I have. I've heard and read some hurtful things. It can sting, sure. But, you know, I accepted that as part of the biz. And it was just online reviews. They tell you not to read them for a reason.

That said, we're talking about a professional athlete and a message board. If a player is reading this at all and can't handle being called gutless or heartless as a football field, find another profession. Just like, if I didn't want people to publicly critique my writing, I shouldn't have it out there for public consumption.

Ouchie said it well, too. We're talking about on a football field, not life in general.

That said, it's laughable there are posters whinging because I called a player heartless. This is a message board, I am a fan, and I have observed heartless behavior. So I have my opinion, and I have and will present said opinion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I really have no idea how to apportion the blame. All I know is BOTH have been trendies disappointments this season. In almost all facets of their respective jobs.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
This is fair. I think you can be more creative when you have all your guys committed and practicing. You can't do variations on the theme when everyone's learning the theme.

The other side of it is that WE SEE OPEN RECEIVERS ALL THE TIME that Kyler doesn't or would prefer to yeet the ball down the sideline instead. No one was caring about our predictable offensive playcalling when we were 10-2.

The lack of motion and slotting players into various positions is completely mystifying, though. Why wouldn't you make things easier on your quarterback and harder on the defense? We heard that every receiver was supposed to learn every position in the offseason, but now we just lock guys in.

are we seeing wide open receivers all the time? I feel like we should see guys breaking free when he scrambles and we'r mostly seeing the skill players giving up on the play

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's going to continue to be made of glass, I'm glad he's making business decisions. We all know how effective a dinged up Kyler has been.

About as effective as this healthy Kyler and the healthy Kyler we had for the final 6 weeks and pkayoffs last year…

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are we seeing wide open receivers all the time? I feel like we should see guys breaking free when he scrambles and we'r mostly seeing the skill players giving up on the play

Yes yes we are. Britcard points them out regularly the broadcast points them out regularly….

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When he’s scrambling most of these guys are already open. There’s no extra space for them to run to because there’s someone sitting in the empty space—usually their teammate.

One reason Kyler had to thread that ball to Green in the back of the end zone was because Hollywood was dragging his double-team into the same space.