Arizona Cardinals @ Las Vegas Raiders pregame thread. 9/11/22-9/17/22

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn't, I just didn't need to repeat it.

I liked the Gladney signing. I liked him coming out and at only 25 and $3m per year I thought it was a smart move with tonnes of upside. Had he not died tragically this room would have been fine, especially if they still added Mullen. Four young CB's with a bunch of talent and potential would have been the best position this CB room had been in for some time.

But he did die, and by that time there wasn't much talent remaining. Gladney died on May 30th.

Bryce Callahan signed for the Chargers on the 25th.
Kyle Fuller signed with the Broncos on the 24th.
James Bradberry was traded on the 19th.

All before Gladney passed.

I'm looking at the transaction list after Gladney passed and there is nobody signed to any team that's better than what we have. Nobody of note.

I think Murphy, Wilson, Gladney, Hamilton and maybe Alford coming back (which we know they tried) is a fair plan. And by the time Gladney passed there was nobody left worth signing.

Those that are still sat on the couch are still there for a reason.
And I think, given our woeful lack of pass rush options, it's not a fair plan. Nor was it a fair plan to wait until the death of the preseason to trade for an injured replacement. But, hey, if we can't stop the pass, at least we can't stop the run either. The suckitude on defense shall continue, IMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I think, given our woeful lack of pass rush options, it's not a fair plan. Nor was it a fair plan to wait until the death of the preseason to trade for an injured replacement. But, hey, if we can't stop the pass, at least we can't stop the run either. The suckitude on defense shall continue, IMO.

So what was the alternative?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I rewatched the game and this completely holds up. The interior of the line was a disaster.

Does anyone else know where we can find the other games stats or for instance what was the pressure rate we had on Mahomes last Sunday?

I agree the line looked putrid just trying to get a comparison

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sign and draft different players, of course.

Cue the "but what players?" misdirection.

So instead of signing the young 1st round pick we should have signed some old broke down guy because why? Because we should have known Gladney would die?

I'm not seeing the draft options either. Had we kept the 1st round pick the only option was Kair Elam that got out snapped by a 6th round rookie.

In the 2nd it was Cam Britt Taylor. I'm not seeing any "this guy would help us now" options.

You're going to have to make an actual proposal better than Gladney otherwise it just looks like you're wishing on a rainbow.

Stout

Reaction score
So instead of signing the young 1st round pick we should have signed some old broke down guy because why? Because we should have known Gladney would die?

I'm not seeing the draft options either. Had we kept the 1st round pick the only option was Kair Elam that got out snapped by a 6th round rookie.

In the 2nd it was Cam Britt Taylor. I'm not seeing any "this guy would help us now" options.

You're going to have to make an actual proposal better than Gladney otherwise it just looks like you're wishing on a rainbow.
Gladney was worth a shot, but wasn't going to be enough even if he did pan out. We needed more than Gladney before, in the draft and FA, and certainly needed more after his tragic death.

And no, I don't. I'm not the GM and I don't know all the league's/draft's players. That's (supposedly) why Keim gets paid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gladney was worth a shot, but wasn't going to be enough even if he did pan out. We needed more than Gladney before, in the draft and FA, and certainly needed more after his tragic death.

And no, I don't. I'm not the GM and I don't know all the league's/draft's players. That's (supposedly) why Keim gets paid.

But your happy to say he performed sub optimally while at the same time saying you don't know how it could have been better?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Cardinals play well. A nickname with the word "Sun" in it seems to be having a tough time.

Stout

Reaction score
But your happy to say he performed sub optimally while at the same time saying you don't know how it could have been better?
This is a straw man. The issue is how good (or poor) a job Keim did at the position, not what I would have done differently. My opinions, though strong, don't actually factor in to the team's process :)

Also, thank you for fulfilling expectations :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a straw man. The issue is how good (or poor) a job Keim did at the position, not what I would have done differently. My opinions, though strong, don't actually factor in to the team's process :)

Also, thank you for fulfilling expectations :)

Are your expectations rational, fact based debate?

OK I'll put it this way. I've looked and I'm not seeing any obviously better solutions outside something silly like paying JC Jackson $20m a year we don't have when I don't think he's worth near that.

(He gave up 7 targets on 8 receptions on Tuesday).

And I'm not being a homer. I just don't see it. The death of Gladney was just tragic all around.

I think Gladney, Wilson, Murphy, Hamilton would have been a fine 4. With Alford or Mullen coming in as and when available.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well doomsday is hear what I'm calling every cards sun till they improve lol

Mainly just want a competitive gm not a blowout loss my heart can only take so many lol

Got my 420 stash geared up haha goooooo cards

I'm playing madden 23 now to ease stress least my madden cards team can w big gms ....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well doomsday is hear what I'm calling every cards sun till they improve lol

Mainly just want a competitive gm not a blowout loss my heart can only take so many lol

Got my 420 stash geared up haha goooooo cards

I'm playing madden 23 now to ease stress least my madden cards team can w big gms ....

How many dooms days are we allowed. Inquiring minds want to know. I've already had my share.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Stout

Reaction score
Are your expectations rational, fact based debate?

OK I'll put it this way. I've looked and I'm not seeing any obviously better solutions outside something silly like paying JC Jackson $20m a year we don't have when I don't think he's worth near that.

(He gave up 7 targets on 8 receptions on Tuesday).

And I'm not being a homer. I just don't see it. The death of Gladney was just tragic all around.

I think Gladney, Wilson, Murphy, Hamilton would have been a fine 4. With Alford or Mullen coming in as and when available.
While I disagree with you overall, and probably always will on this, you have a fair opinion, sir.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score