Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i predicted the other owners would vote him out and i'll stick with that (or pressure him out to let him save face, which he doesn't deserve considering what he's done to the Suns reputation).

they'd be stupid to not remove this human stain from damaging the franchise and its future any further (and, of course, their investment)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He only owns 30% of the team, if the other owners don’t force him out they are imbeciles.

Insane that the nba isn’t outsting him themselves. This easily as bad as Sterling and they didn’t even take 48 hours to remove him.
They’re all cowards. His bank ousted him no problem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sucks. This is exactly what we all feared but worse because there have been actionable findings of dropping n-bombs and sexual harassment, vocally and physically, of both men and women NUMEROUS TIMES.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sarver can still be the hero. He resigns with a statement that he doesn't agree with the outcome, and is going to resign in order to not be a distraction in a championship run while he appeals or whatever else. At the same time, he can sign a big fat check to Cam Johnson and tell Jones to use the mid-level exemption Suns have available.
I'll have what he's having.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They’re all cowards. His bank ousted him no problem.
It's infuriating how much it would change if any of this was on tape and got out in the public.

It was known for decades that Sterling was a human cesspool, nothing happened, his mistress gets him on tape dropping the n-word, he is gone in days. Ray Rice gets arrested for domestic violence, the league reviews the case (actually saw the tape in private) he gets a 2 game suspension... the tape leaks to the public, the league basically bans him for life.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
He only owns 30% of the team, if the other owners don’t force him out they are imbeciles.

Insane that the nba isn’t outsting him themselves. This easily as bad as Sterling and they didn’t even take 48 hours to remove him.
I disagree with you there. Sterling was on another level. He acted like a plantation owner.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with you there. Sterling was on another level. He acted like a plantation owner.

But they knew it with Sterling, the knew for decades... it wasn't until he was caught on tape using the N word that anything happened.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul might provide the nail in the coffin. I'd be surprised if he is willing to play another game for Sarver and if he comes out with such a statement the rest of the team will likely follow suit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That seemed to be the least egregious part of their findings, IMO. It said he used the term "at least 5 times when recounting the statement of other people". Which is what was reported initially, basically he asked why he couldn't say the n-word when others do. It's ignorant, for sure, but he was recounting other peoples comments and not using it on his own in some way, like Sterling. Definitely bad but I find the rest more troubling because that seems more ignorant than malicious or perverse.

I think the sexual harassment was much more cut and dry. Dude was/is a pervert. The reports of things he did like sharing pics of wife, talking about his sex life, and de-pantsing employees proves he's a pervert who doesn't know how to conduct himself in a professional environment.

He should have been removed. I'm not surprised by this slap on the wrist though. I worry how he'll try and recoup the money he loses due to fines and suspension though. That's something I didn't consider before but should have because he seems to cut costs elsewhere in the organization when roster costs get to high. He's always trying to balance expenditures in some way, it's the banker in him and you can bet he'll want his money back and then some.

The NBA kind of screwed us because if the other owners can't remove him, he'll come back with a cheapness and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a personal vendetta as well. He's in his 50's or 60's, sensitivity training isn't going to change him. He is who he is at this point. Hopefully the players can force him out. The league should have done it for them but I can see that giving the players some weight in the next CBA because they'll want a say when things like this happen, and they should have one.
Anyone remember the 70's and 80's? These things were the culture then. Sarver is stuck in an immaturity time warp. Adults in the 2000's should act like teenagers in the 70's and 80's. One of the nice things about Jerry Colangelo was the persona he cultivated for himself. Players called him Mr. Colangelo and there was always a bit of the generous godfather image about him. Sarver had the players call him "Robert" and wanted to joke around with the players like it was a frat house. He wanted to be seen as a sexual alpha like players often do. While it is wrong for kids in their 20's, its wrong and disgusting for a man in his 50's.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul might provide the nail in the coffin. I'd be surprised if he is willing to play another game for Sarver and if he comes out with such a statement the rest of the team will likely follow suit.

I don't expect Chris Paul to step out in front of this. I can see him asking Booker to, or rather expecting Booker to. He'd support him in doing so but Chris is too old and towards the end of his career now. He'd be viewed as an elder statesman while Booker is entering his prime. They might come out together denouncing Sarver but I wouldn't look to Paul to lead the charge, for better or worse that falls on Booker. He's the face of the franchise and as the cover star of NBA2k he's also been tapped as one of the one faces of the modern NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interim Governor will be appointed to serve during the 1 year suspension. Robert Sarver is working with the NBA in this matter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the NBA's one big chance to permanently remove Robert Sarver as an owner and they blinked.

Now they will have to live with it going forward unless some else steps up and does the job for them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An interim Governor will be appointed to serve during the 1 year suspension. Robert Sarver is working with the NBA in this matter.

So he can't do anything except name who will serve in his place for a year? Should their already be some sort of hierarchy in place? Sarver naming his replacement shows how theatrical this nonsense is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That someone else could be the owners. They should have the ability to know remove Robert Sarver as an owner.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much would it be to buy out Sarver's cut? I don't really follow the team's finances.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NBA ruling will allow the other owners of the Suns to replace Sarver. They should have good grounds to do so now.

IMO, this is what will happen when they take up the matter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he can't do anything except name who will serve in his place for a year? Should their already be some sort of hierarchy in place? Sarver naming his replacement shows how theatrical this nonsense is.
Sarver being involved here is even more pathetic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes this a massive joke? Not only is the fine a drop in the bucket for him but he 100% will still be running the team. This suspension is NBA League PR. The reality is Sarver will have a say in who is appointed. That person will run everything through Robert during this entire suspension.....just unofficially.

Adam Silver and the League office is a bunch of cowards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we heard from the rest of Suns ownership? I think not.

IMO, it's up to the minority owners to decide this matter. I'm mildly optimistic that Sarver could be replaced.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much would it be to buy out Sarver's cut? I don't really follow the team's finances.

Forbes estimates Suns are worth 1.8B. If the 30% stake number is correct, then we're just over half a bil to buy out his portion. How much are you guys in for? I haven't re-upped my ASFN membership yet, so there's $20 I can pitch in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad the players aren't going to challenge Sarver unfortunately as they don't want to mess with their own$$ and comfort level, civil rights groups only have very limited power in America, advertisers are powerful and could be the answer to Sarver's removal. But Sarvver will not take the high road and quit as that would show some sort of decency and he doesn't appear to have any of that.

It's in the hands of the minority owners now. I do expect them to take action and remove Sarver. We shall see.

I'm not sure how complicated this might be.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forbes estimates Suns are worth 1.8B. If the 30% stake number is correct, then we're just over half a bil to buy out his portion. How much are you guys in for? I haven't re-upped my ASFN membership yet, so there's $20 I can pitch in.
I can do fifty - but I want a suite