Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver leaving his office for a year suspension.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would seem like Sarver would have been given the option of resigning to avoid the fine and suspension.

I'm wondering if there is an appeal process.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the statement by the NBA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the statement by the NBA.

Beyond the N-word drops (which are atrocious), The league found that he verbally AND physically sexually harassed employees, women and men… REPEATEDLY and created a toxic culture where sexual harassment and racial insensitivity was able to freely fly… gets to keep the team?

Once again, rules/laws for the obscenely rich don’t really apply.

And this is an ugly black eye for the Suns and the league in general.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It would seem like Sarver would have been given the option of resigning to avoid the fine and suspension.

I'm wondering if there is an appeal process.

This really bothers me. The alcoholic can't admit that he's an alcoholic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond the N-word drops (which are atrocious), The league found that he verbally AND physically sexually harassed employees, women and men… REPEATEDLY but gets to keep the team?

This is a direct result of the Gruden suing the NFL in my opinion. I think they want to avoid a lawsuit. It's total B.S. If the finding show he repeatedly harassed women? He should be gone. Fired.

I hope the rest of the ownership team steps up here. Maybe the league is hoping the ownership group bails them out. This is complete cowardice by the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond the N-word drops (which are atrocious), The league found that he verbally AND physically sexually harassed employees, women and men… REPEATEDLY but gets to keep the team?

Yeah, this is a difficult situation and awkward situation. If I were the other owners, I would seek what they call in NBA terminology, a buyout.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a direct result of the Gruden suing the NFL in my opinion. I think they want to avoid a lawsuit. It's total B.S. If the finding show he repeatedly harassed women? He should be gone. Fired.

I hope the rest of the ownership team steps up here. Maybe the league is hoping the ownership group bails them out. This is complete cowardice by the NBA.
The treatment of women alone… for almost two decades should have led to his expulsion from the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a difficult situation and awkward situation. If I were the other owners, I would seek what they call a buyout in NBA terminology.
Owners of the Suns? I’m betting the owners in the league are breathing a sigh of relief because a lot of them are probably guilty of the same crap towards women.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owners of the Suns? I’m betting the owners in the league are breathing a sigh of relief because a lot of them are probably guilty of the same crap towards women.

No doubt other owners are guilty of similar violations, however, there were a number of violations and not just regarding women.
I don't see how this all comes back together after a year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The multiple N bomb dropping alone should lead to player revolt. We all knew he did it but the official findings legitimize speculation making it a fact. The suspension and fine are just the beginning, I would expect more fallout from this.

That seemed to be the least egregious part of their findings, IMO. It said he used the term "at least 5 times when recounting the statement of other people". Which is what was reported initially, basically he asked why he couldn't say the n-word when others do. It's ignorant, for sure, but he was recounting other peoples comments and not using it on his own in some way, like Sterling. Definitely bad but I find the rest more troubling because that seems more ignorant than malicious or perverse.

I think the sexual harassment was much more cut and dry. Dude was/is a pervert. The reports of things he did like sharing pics of wife, talking about his sex life, and de-pantsing employees proves he's a pervert who doesn't know how to conduct himself in a professional environment.

He should have been removed. I'm not surprised by this slap on the wrist though. I worry how he'll try and recoup the money he loses due to fines and suspension though. That's something I didn't consider before but should have because he seems to cut costs elsewhere in the organization when roster costs get to high. He's always trying to balance expenditures in some way, it's the banker in him and you can bet he'll want his money back and then some.

The NBA kind of screwed us because if the other owners can't remove him, he'll come back with a cheapness and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a personal vendetta as well. He's in his 50's or 60's, sensitivity training isn't going to change him. He is who he is at this point. Hopefully the players can force him out. The league should have done it for them but I can see that giving the players some weight in the next CBA because they'll want a say when things like this happen, and they should have one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be looking for a settlement going forward.
Don’t hold your breath there, Mainstreet.

Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if that petulant racist/sexist wouldn’t threaten to go scorched earth with ANYTHING he might have on the other Suns owners as threat not to do anything further.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a difficult situation and awkward situation. If I were the other owners, I would seek what they call in NBA terminology, a buyout.

I have much more hope that the players step up and force the league's hand, or even the other owners. Remember it was the player's threatening, and plans, to sit out under Donald Sterling that forced swift action with the Clippers.

The year suspension is in place regardless. They got a year to work on him not returning. Time for them to get on it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in other words… the worst case case scenario.

Where did you see this reported? If true, it’s just another big black eye for the franchise, but not a knockout blow so Sarver’s stench will linger on moving forward.
Yup

Now watch Sarver go cheap and dismantle the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t hold your breath there, Mainstreet.

Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if that petulant racist/sexist wouldn’t threaten to go scorched earth with ANYTHING he might have on the other Suns owners as threat not to do anything further.

Nothing would surprise me. I'm shocked they didn't try to work out the penalty phase behind the scene, ending with his resignation.

The outcome by the NBA seems like only a slap on the wrist, except for the $10 million fine.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing would surprise me. I'm shocked they didn't try to work out the penalty phase behind the scene, ending with his resignation.

The outcome by the NBA seems like only a slap on the wrist, except for the $10 million fine.
My guess is those owners aren’t going to want MORE bad press and extended for God knows how long with a protracted fight to get rid of one of their own.

They’re probably hoping they take a hit right now, but like everything else awful in the world, something will quickly sweep this story into the trash and be replaced by something worse in society.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The $10 million dollar fine is a slap on the wrist to Sarver. He's worth something like $700 million last I checked. That's a speeding ticket for you or I.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can an owner be suspended? That whole concept sounds ridiculous.

Well I guess in this case since he is not the sole owner perhaps the other owners gain control?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is those owners aren’t going to want MORE bad press and extended for God knows how long with a protracted fight to get rid of one of their own.

They’re probably hoping they take a hit right now, but like everything else awful in the world, something will quickly sweep this story into the trash and be replaced by something worse in society.

It may be up to the players and the civil rights/social groups to force Sarver out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be up to the players and the civil rights/social groups to force Sarver out.
It would take the SUNS players to do that and I’m guessing they won’t. Civil rights groups/social media have no power.

Really it would take advertisers to completely pull out. But the Suns are too popular and they’ve got their bottom lines to protect.

Call me cynical, but the NBA had their chance to do what’s right and failed, paving the way for everyone else to cowardly follow in their footsteps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson