The Durant Sweepstakes

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So you don't trust the media that a lot of teams made plays for KD but do believe the media when they claimed the asking price scared off most suitors? Seems like you're picking and choosing what you want to believe. The same sources reported both things, that a ton of teams tried to make a pitch for KD and that the Nets were asking for a lot.
Huh?

What exactly are we arguing here? Is this really a big deal? Outside of using it as ammunition to criticize the front office when they've pretty much said absolutely nothing about any of this.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After all this effort to get KD, Jones landed on the thought that he needs a post up power forward. I think he's trolling somebody because his power forwards are no where near the post. ...his power forwards are actually small fowards.

Wait a minute. He did just dump a power forward who told them he liked to play from the post.
Are you referring to Javale McGee? A center with absolutely no skills at stretching the floor?

A "post-up forward" doesn't necessarily mean a guy that JUST posts up. James Jones will certainly want that forward to shoot the 3. He's looking for an Anthony Davis, and of course, that kind of player is very rare, so it probably won't happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to Javale McGee? A center with absolutely no skills at stretching the floor?

A "post-up forward" doesn't necessarily mean a guy that JUST posts up. James Jones will certainly want that forward to shoot the 3. He's looking for an Anthony Davis, and of course, that kind of player is very rare, so it probably won't happen.
I wasn't sure who he was referring to either. McGee was a Center not PF. His role really was to be an enforcer down low. It's not like Ayton can really stretch the floor either much beyond the FT line and not really important for Center that much. I am guessing to get the dynamic PF you mention above? A trade is necessary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure who he was referring to either. McGee was a Center not PF. His role really was to be an enforcer down low. It's not like Ayton can really stretch the floor either much beyond the FT line and not really important for Center that much. I am guessing to get the dynamic PF you mention above? A trade is necessary.

I believe @Fumats20 was referring to FC Jalen Smith who was traded away for Torrey Craig.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe @Fumats20 was referring to FC Jalen Smith who was traded away for Torrey Craig.
That makes more sense. Having said that? Jalen isn't the type of PF the Suns were looking for either it sounds like. Jalen is more of a slasher type player. Not a real physical guy down low.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes more sense. Having said that? Jalen isn't the type of PF the Suns were looking for either it sounds like. Jalen is more of a slasher type player. Not a real physical guy down low.

I think we are too locked into the terminology "post up power forward." Smith could rebound and score inside.

Also, I think he has the capacity to hit the 3-point shot consistently given time.

The point being, the Suns already had the player they needed on the roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, just when I had gotten to forgetting about him...

He certainly is no post-up forward, that's for sure.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are too locked into the terminology "post up power forward." Smith could rebound and score inside.

Also, I think he has the capacity to hit the 3-point shot consistently given time.

The point being, the Suns already had the player they needed on the roster.

Yes but most of his shots were off rebounds or slashing. The Suns need a more physical presence down low. Smith and or Cam don't cut it. Neither of them are that player. Look at most of the Suns losses. Second chance points were a huge problem. We also got outrebounded in most of those games. I think that is what the Suns are trying to shore up. Jalen had potential but he was a twig.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yes but most of his shots were off rebounds or slashing. The Suns need a more physical presence down low. Smith and or Cam don't cut it. Neither of them are that player. Look at most of the Suns losses. Second chance points were a huge problem. We also got outrebounded in most of those games. I think that is what the Suns are trying to shore up. Jalen had potential but he was a twig.
Isn't this what Biz is for?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, his nickname is "Stix." :)

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After all this effort to get KD, Jones landed on the thought that he needs a post up power forward. I think he's trolling somebody because his power forwards are no where near the post. ...his power forwards are actually small fowards.

Wait a minute. He did just dump a power forward who told them he liked to play from the post.
Stix was a center and a decent one, had always been a center never had any interest in playing PF.
I think after the front office realized Stix was unable to play PF at an NBA level they gave up on him way to quickly.
He's not gonna be a star but he should have a long journeyman type career at center or maybe even PF if someone takes time with him.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Stix was a center and a decent one, had always been a center never had any interest in playing PF.
I think after the front office realized Stix was unable to play PF at an NBA level they gave up on him way to quickly.
He's not gonna be a star but he should have a long journeyman type career at center or maybe even PF if someone takes time with him.
I truly think Jones was trolling Monty with that post up power forward comment. LOL...more I think about it maybe he trolling Indiana since Stix is their starting power forward and Indiana said Stix gives them the more traditional power forward option they never had. A traditional power forward does play closer to post....he the twin center that can shoot.

Yeah, he's trolling Monty with what Indiana said. Of all things to say, that's the best he can come up with. Lol.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Were they though? I have a hard time trusting the media on almost everything that came out about these conversations.

Brooklyn did a great job of basically scaring teams off from even having discussions in the first place.
The Nets did not want to trade Durant. The demands were a way of complimenting the player while saying "no" to his demand. I am glad Durant got stared down on this. Players should be responsible to play out their contracts. Teams with backbones can just say "no." Of course, Durant could go eat 50 Big Macs and not play, but he is not James Harden.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably true, but close it now and start another when something is actually happening. We have been played.

I will need to have a talk with James Jones.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone just Tweet now they heard KD wants to get traded at the deadline and save everyone some time?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty William's reaction to the Kevin Durant stuff that was floating around.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a paywall on the article, but here are some tweets from Duane Rankin with comments from James Jones concerning Kevin Durant.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is a paywall on the article, but here are some tweets from Duane Rankin with comments from James Jones concerning Kevin Durant.

Not a surprise, I would have been shocked if PHX had landed Durant. BKY was never going to trade Durant which is why they had their outrageous demands of 2 All Star level players and picks, no one was going to give up all that and BKY knew it. They were just biding time until Durant cooled off. BKY may change their minds depending oh where they are at trade deadline but I am sure they are not going to just gift Durant to a team. I think Jones will sit pat with this roster until trade deadline. As much as we would love a a 4th big piece at the PF position, I don't think PHX wants to take on a multiyear contract like Randle, Collins or Kuzma. I would rather wait until trade deadline before making a deal for Bogdanovic unless he could be flipped then for a bigger piece but I would just see how well we do with what we have now. Unless PHX is willing to spend money and could get a PF without giving up too much now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose